If there is a Tropical depression or storm...

voltron1974

Thanks for the info, I wonder if we will still be able to dock in Port Canaveral Monday?

The latest from NOAA.

1. Data from an Air Force Reserve Hurricane Hunter aircraft indicate

that the circulation associated with the small low pressure area

approaching the Leeward Islands is poorly defined. In addition, the

associated shower activity has decreased during the past few hours.

The aircraft did, however, find a small area of tropical-storm-force

winds on the northeast side of the low. Environmental conditions

are expected to be conducive for some development during the next

day or so, and a tropical depression or tropical storm could still

form while the system moves west-northwestward at around 20 mph

across the Lesser Antilles. The mountainous terrain of Hispaniola

could limit development during the first part of the weekend, but

conditions are expected to become more conducive for development by

Sunday when the system is forecast to move near or over the Bahamas.

Regardless of tropical cyclone formation, gusty winds and heavy

rainfall are expected across portions of the Lesser Antilles, Puerto

Rico, and the Virgin Islands through Friday, and over Hispaniola

late Friday and Saturday. Interests in those islands and in the

Bahamas should closely monitor the progress of this disturbance. An

Air Force Reserve Hurricane Hunter aircraft is scheduled to

investigate this system again tomorrow afternoon.

* Formation chance through 48 hours...medium...50 percent.

* Formation chance through 5 days...high...70 percent.

well that is good news for me. we leave out of NY Sat. Port Canaveral slotted for monday, tues - GSC, wed - nassau. so maybe there is hope.

Was thinking of cancelling Atlantis on wed. not sure

thanks for your reply

I believe that what ever develops, and it may just be a depression, should move north and be more towards bermuda by midweek.

Of course it will go toward Bermuda :( that's where I'm going to be :eek:

We are on the same cruise tomorrow with a group of nine. We will hope for the best weather wise thats all we can do. We'll all be on vacation and not working...

I soon as I hear of a storm . I start hunting for last minute cruise deals !!

Next weeks Boston to Bermuda is down to $479 already .

Actually looking at the models out to midweek, what ever develops looks have an odd, lingering, course between Bermuda and the mid-Atlantic. It may make for rough cruising going into the end of the week.

Added: I've looked at two different models, and one has it heading north, off shore of the mid-Atlantic. The other has it heading directly for Bermuba, then continuing north East into the North Atlantic. That is all a week out, and these forecasts are not any better than large scale suggestions.

Edited by untailored bostonian

Forecast here in South Florida says it will be near the Bahamas tomorrow and then head North/Northeast. I think you should be good for your port days, but it looks like the weather might be inclement the first couple of days out of NYC. Let us know how it worked out for you when you return!

It's still just a low (just like a normal rain storm here on the continent), not even a depression right now. If you look at the Puerto Rico radar there's some rain out there - but that's just rain folks. When you travel, hey you get rain sometimes. It's not a tropical depression, not a named tropical storm and definitely not a hurricane.

As to whoever talked about cancelling Atlantis, I'd say don't do it unless there's lightning. If it rains, you'll be getting wet anyhow when you swim. We went just two days after Sandy went through Atlantis and still had a WONDERFUL time!

shhhhh.....I'm leaving for Bermuda on Sunday. We are due to dock there on Wednesday!!

AS you get closer to the actual formation of a storm, track and intensity models can vary significantly. The latest guidance keeps any storm more in the Bahamas and even perhaps south Florida. Currently it is just starting to form in the southern Turks an Caicos.

From there many of the computer models has it sliding to the north west along and to the east of the Bahama islands but not to far away. Several take it more westerly into the MIA/FLL area. The european model takes it more northerly then bends it back towards Cape Hatteras before it takes an ENE course well north of Bermuda on late Thursday and Friday. Global Forecast System (GFS) model of the national weather service has it over Fort Lauderdale Wed. afternoon.

I think all the models forecast a Cat 1 storm by about Tuesday. I now believe this storm will be disruptive to many cruises through the next 5 days.

I just hope one of those cruises affected isn't mine :/

My guess is not greatly if at all. Most of the models now show any storm to be moving slowly. It has just developed into a tropical depression, and the NWS shows it developing into a hurricane on Tuesday when it will be just to the north east of the Bahamas Tue. afternoon.

The 5 day forecast has it south of Cape Hatteras, over 600 miles West of Bermuda on thurs. afternoon. You leave Bermuda Friday afternoon. Your sea day back to New York might be a bit rough, but the storm should be headed away from you.

My guess is not greatly if at all. Most of the models now show any storm to be moving slowly. It has just developed into a tropical depression, and the NWS shows it developing into a hurricane on Tuesday when it will be just to the north east of the Bahamas Tue. afternoon.

The 5 day forecast has it south of Cape Hatteras, over 600 miles West of Bermuda on thurs. afternoon. You leave Bermuda Friday afternoon. Your sea day back to New York might be a bit rough, but the storm should be headed away from you.

Just finished reading the latest info on it. I was so afraid we would be headed to Canada! Lol! Looking forward to my vacation!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app