We are entering the heart of hurricane season

Hurricane Expert

During the average year, the most active part of hurricane season stretches from mid August through about the third week of October. The second week of September is the peak.

As of today, Monday, August 18 there are no major threats. There is one tropical wave well southwest of the Cape Verde Islands that I'll be watching in the Atlantic, and a new tropical system west of Mexico that should stay well west of the Baja.

There are no other concerns other than 96L at this time, but tropical cyclones can develop in a fairly short time. The models are useful in the long range (5 days out or more) - when they are long track that form off of the coast of Africa. Even in the heart of hurricane season, the chances are fairly low that a significant tropical cyclone will be in a certain location on a certain day. Most of the time the cruises can go to another more suitable destination.

Do you see any weather patterns that could form September 12-18 off the coast of North Carolina to Bermuda.

Thanks,

ERS

Hi ERS, This is really impossible to tell at this time. I wrote a recent post describing how long range forecasts more than 5-7 days out really aren't that useful. There's just too many variables that could change a tropical cyclone track significantly. If an upper air trough is a little weaker or stronger it could send the system in a different direction and throw off its timing.

I would suggest checking back in that 5-7 day time frame for a general forecast.

Just wanted to follow up on the request. We leave this Sunday from San Juan, then head to the islands. Any possibilities of hurricanes?

I assume that you are taking a trip toward the east or south? The islands are in all directions. :-) It looks like the typical trade wind scattered showers or a storm. By Wednesday a tropical wave or disturbance is predicted to move near or northeast of the Leewards.

Bon Voyage!

• 2 weeks later...

I can only say that nothing is on the models for the beginning of the trip. I assume that this will be a seven day cruise and that the latter part of the trip will be over 10 days away. The western Caribbean can have tropical systems develop over the area more quickly than the eastern Caribbean.

This time of year it is common to see scattered showers / storms across the Caribbean.