How to convince DH that cheers is worth it...

CRU1Z1N

With the new pricing I want to try the cheers program. We always bring on our wine limit which would take us through embarkment day :) Then purchase cheers on day 2 which is already over a $75 savings for the two of us!

So here lies the problem. Last cruise...valor out of San Juan. Port intensive only one sea day. Total onboard bar bill approx $160 for 7 days.

He therefore cannot justify the cheers program for our cruise on the dream where there are only 3 port days and 3 sea days. He's usually a beer drinker and I'm the frozen type. I figure at least 3 drinks minimum a day for me without cheers. Oh what to do....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

7 days 3 frozen drink x $10.00 per day = 30.00 x 7 = 210.00

7 days bucket of beer x 7 days = $ 23.00 ? x 7 = 161.00

= 371.00 for both

2 drink packages 616.00

= 245.00

are you both going to drink more than 371.00 to make up for the difference of $245.00

my pricing may be a bit off but you get the idea

Edited by seeing this world

= 371.00 for both

2 drink packages 616.00

= 245.00

are you both going to drink more than 371.00 to make up for the difference of $245.00

except that buckets of beer are not allowed to be purchased with the Cheers

= 371.00 for both

2 drink packages 616.00

= 245.00

That's a good quick comparison.

Of course on Cheers, she could go all out and try all of the frozen drinks, not just the minimum three. Trying/tasting an average of 10 drinks a day is $100 right there.

That's a good quick comparison.

Of course on Cheers, she could go all out and try all of the frozen drinks, not just the minimum three. Trying/tasting an average of 10 drinks a day is $100 right there.

yeah, i did the comparison after we got home. i knew i wouldnt reach my 15, but i did reach the break even mark. i drink mixed drinks, so automatically, i knew it'd be worth it with them costing more.

since we left out of Galveston, and couldnt have it on the 1st day, we easily racked up $300 in drinks alone that day.

i did all the math, and it saved us around $225

Edited by KLD1019

With the new pricing I want to try the cheers program. We always bring on our wine limit which would take us through embarkment day :) Then purchase cheers on day 2 which is already over a $75 savings for the two of us!

So here lies the problem. Last cruise...valor out of San Juan. Port intensive only one sea day. Total onboard bar bill approx $160 for 7 days.

He therefore cannot justify the cheers program for our cruise on the dream where there are only 3 port days and 3 sea days. He's usually a beer drinker and I'm the frozen type. I figure at least 3 drinks minimum a day for me without cheers. Oh what to do....

Believe it or not, I made a spread sheet to convince my husband.

I presented several different drinking scenarios,and purchasing day 1 vs. day 2. All options showed that for us, for 3 sea days it was at least a wash, and very probably a win. In no scenarios was it more expensive than buying drinks a la carte.

Anyway it worked, and we're going to try it in October.:)

Unless things have changed you can purchase buckets of beer on the Cheers Program. I did on the Breeze two years ago. I hope they didn't exclude beer.

nope. you can buy individual beers, but not the buckets of beer. and not the fishbowl either

Unless things have changed you can purchase buckets of beer on the Cheers Program. I did on the Breeze two years ago. I hope they didn't exclude beer.

Beer hasn't been excluded but I don't think you can get buckets as there is a five minute wait before you can order again. Therefore no buckets. Correct?

If you're not a heavy drinker, it's just not worth it, especially if you start drinking JUST to make it worth it.

We still smuggle, but if we got caught, we'd move to step 2, and buy some bon voyage liquor.

I was always under the impression that you still paid for the full program even if you bought it on the second day (and they would credit any drinks purchased the first day). Anyway, DW and I had the same discussion about buying NCL's version of the program and just couldn't justify it (at least not without drinking so much every day that it would have been unpleasant).

If you're not a heavy drinker, it's just not worth it, especially if you start drinking JUST to make it worth it.

We still smuggle, but if we got caught, we'd move to step 2, and buy some bon voyage liquor.

Here's the problem with the bon voyage liquour - I ordered a bottle (yes, one bottle) of Skye Vodka and after they added taxes, it was over $80 - I want to say it was closer to $90. Then I have to schlep the grapefruit juice on, etc. Anyway, I'm doing a B2B on the Breeze next week && I've pretty much decided to purchase Cheers for the 1st leg (6 day) & save the bottle for the 2nd leg (8 day). I'll be alone on the 6 day and will not be spending much time (if any) in the ports, so it will be like 5 sea days for me. I'm thinking I could get my $$ worth.

I don't normally drink more than 4-5 drinks a day, but I think I could easily manage 6-7 and then maybe 2 cokes a day while laying out by the pool. I just want to try it one time - so looking forward to it.

No, if you don't buy it on the first day, you don't pay for that day. We got it in February on our seven-day Mexican Riviera cruise. We bought it on the second day and paid for six days.

No, you can't use Cheers for buckets of beer, but you can build one easily. Order your first beer and ask for a bucket of ice, then order additional beers every five minutes. Unless you're chugging each one, you can build a bucket pretty quickly.

see, im not a big drinker. i can go weeks without having even 1 beer. but when on vacation? even my DH is surprised at how much i drink! on the cruise, i was taking shots of tequila the moment we got off the ship! those little taste tester people through port get ya! LOL and im one to fuss at DH if he even thinks of opening up a beer before 11am on the weekends when we're at the lake! the whole point is, its vacation with nothing to worry about. especially on a vacation where you're not driving anywhere!

Here's the problem with the bon voyage liquour - I ordered a bottle (yes, one bottle) of Skye Vodka and after they added taxes, it was over $80 - I want to say it was closer to $90. Then I have to schlep the grapefruit juice on, etc. Anyway, I'm doing a B2B on the Breeze next week && I've pretty much decided to purchase Cheers for the 1st leg (6 day) & save the bottle for the 2nd leg (8 day). I'll be alone on the 6 day and will not be spending much time (if any) in the ports, so it will be like 5 sea days for me. I'm thinking I could get my $$ worth.

I don't normally drink more than 4-5 drinks a day, but I think I could easily manage 6-7 and then maybe 2 cokes a day while laying out by the pool. I just want to try it one time - so looking forward to it.

Hey silly......purchase your liquor in the shop the first week. It gets delivered to your cabin on the last night. Now you have a bottle that costs $25 instead of $90 for your second week

Hey silly......purchase your liquor in the shop the first week. It gets delivered to your cabin on the last night. Now you have a bottle that costs $25 instead of $90 for your second week

Novices. Dance around the internet and look for roll calls for the week before your cruise, and look for someone doing a B2B.

Figure out the rest. ;)

Novices. Dance around the internet and look for roll calls for the week before your cruise, and look for someone doing a B2B.

Figure out the rest. ;)

bootlegging at it finest, one cruise when i was doing a B2B i got 5 request to do exactly what you are saying. Did not happen for any of them did not know them from a hill of beans and they could not even bother to join the roll call.

I think there was a misunderstanding on the 2nd day buying. You can buy cheers on day 1 or day 2 on all cruises that it's offered, except in Texas, where it's only sold on the 2nd day bc of their individual laws.

I'd say go for it especially with the new pricing. We tried it when it was a little over $800 for a seven day for 2 people and I'm glad we did just so I could try out new drinks, however, I definitely wouldn't do it again even with the new prices we would just break even with our normal drinking.

I was drinking from morning till night and we still barely broke even and my ankles were the size of my thighs, LOL!!! WAY too much alcohol for us.

I meant to post this here.

Maybe this will help explain it to him.

Just want to add my two cents here. For those of us who normally by a soda card don't forget to subtract that from your total for the Cheers program to find out the true liquor cost. For me on my 7 day it would be $48.30 for the soda card. So if I buy just the cheers program it would be $301.30

So

$301.30

=253

/7

$36.14 per day of alcohol for break even would would be 3-4 Strawberry Daiquiris (can't remember if they are $10). So honestly, I would probably be better off this way then paying individually for Strawberry Daiquiris and Mailbu and pineapple.

You can also look at it at $301.30/7 as $43.04 per day of unlimited soda and 15 alcoholic drinks, and whatever the limit of frozen coctails with no alcohol.

Pretty good deal I think. I drink a lot of soda, juice, etc when on a cruise as I don't like the taste of the water and have my bottled water in the cabin.

Hope this helps!