Ripple app

barrelracer89

We tried it out by putting our devices in airplane mode and disconnecting our router from the Internet, it worked great. Can't wait to try it on our cruise in October! I'll be sure to report back, unless anyone does before I do :)

Looked it up. It only works on ships with wifi. Most ships don't have wifi

I really need to question this statement. Personally, I have never seen a modern cruise ship that did not have a wi-fi network.

Scott & Karen

Edited by CaveDiving

Looked it up. It only works on ships with wifi. Most ships don't have wifi

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

All HAL ships have WiFi including the Prinsendam which began it's existence as the old Royal Viking Sun, then became Seabourn Sun and is now (and has been for years) HAL Prinsendam. Most would classify that ship as being in the 'older category'.

Ugh I mean they don't have free wifi.

Hi Molly,

I have not yet tried the app on a ship, but will in November, so I can’t comment on its use. I can only go on the information provided on the site for the app.

Virtually ALL modern cruise ships have a full time WiFi network which is FREE to join. In fact you will have an extremely difficult time finding ANY cruise ship carrying more than, say 500 passengers, which does not have one.

However, if you want to connect to the internet, then usually there is a charge. Connecting to the ship’s WiFi network is free but subsequently connecting to the internet usually incurs a charge. Many cruise lines permit passengers to query cost account data, activities around the ship, future cruise schedules, etc. at no cost to the passenger. This is using the ship’s WiFi network without connecting to the internet and incurring charges.

According to the information given on the “Ripple” website, the app uses the ship’s WiFi network but does not require a connection to the internet. It therefore (is claimed to) permit communication between different individuals who each individually are connected to the ship’s WiFi system, at no cost. In other words, it is replacing a walkie-talkie as long as both individuals are connected to the ship’s WiFi system.

I have a pretty strong background in electronics and to me this seems like a really interesting idea which I’m anxious to try it out.

Scott

Edited by Host Anne
request of poster

I've visited Ripple's webpage and understand how the app works. Last month, my wife and I were on the NCL Pearl and used their iConcierge app which also allows unlimited calling and texting to other users but at a cost of $7.95 per device for the duration of the cruise.

iConcierge may also be used without the calling and texting feature for free. Free or paid, the app allows you review your onboard account so you can keep track of your expenses, provides tour info and booking, daily onboard activities, restaurant menus and booking, and other information about onboard services.

Although I understand how it works via the wifi (intranet), I'm curious how the cruise ship's IT departments will take to a third-party app which will make use of THEIR network (for "free"). Seems likely they would have their palm out collecting a use fee for their network!

Does carnival have an app like this?

Carnival did have their own app in Beta testing ("FunPhone") on Breeze, but it appears that it's has since been pulled for more development - that was back in 2013.

For now the Ripple Communicator reviews appear to be a mixed bag of positive and negative. At $0.99 per iPhone (not yet available on Droids, etc) it seems a fair price - if it really does connect.

I emailed one of the developers asking how the technology works. They avoided discussing the "nuts and bolts", and kept the information very high level. They confirmed that at no point are you using the ship's WiFi to connect to the internet (make sure the phone stays in "Airplane Mode"). No password to connect to the WiFi is needed, and aside from the cost of the app, there are no additional charges from your wireless carrier or the ship. Echoing earlier sentiments, I too wonder how Carnival's IT department feels about some random app piggy backing off of their wireless network. Take this with a grain of salt, but I read somewhere that Ripple claimed to have the backing of several cruise lines, Carnival included, but for the life of me I cannot find where that was written now.

As long as the reviews stay middle of the road (or hopefully better), we anticipate trying it on the Carnival Breeze in November using our iPhone 5s phones. I'll report back our experience.

If you are a fan of Gambee, please go thru his review to download. He has been in discussion with creators and is now a rep of theirs.

Also, it did not work on Carnival freedom last week. Was very disappointed. But, just found out my friend had not downloaded iOS 7.0 before cruise and they may have hindered it. I think I read it needed that and a apple phone 4 or higher. It did work on Carnival Dream. Headed out on Celebrity Reflection in Jan and hope it works there.

But it is totally free once you pay .99. I've read that some ships settings block it, not because they've changed their settings to do so, but because it's kind of turning everything "on" just in case. Now it's a case of getting them to go in and turn one thing off.

Remaining hopeful.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

[ATTACH]324568[/ATTACH]

This is my discussion with them while in St. Kitts

So by the looks of it..its a Dud App.

People who have had success are those that have purchased the Wifi package and have run it through using the Ship's paid Wifi packages.

Its funny they have removed everyone's comments on their facebook page. And now you don't have the ability to comment anymore. You can only post comments under their posts.

I purchased it and was able to chat while being connect to our home wifi. But I do not purchase a wifi package on board. So that will be no help!

I was really hoping that it would be a legit app that would work.

they seem to have disappointed a lot of people 99 cents at a time..

If you are a fan of Gambee, please go thru his review to download. He has been in discussion with creators and is now a rep of theirs.

Also, it did not work on Carnival freedom last week. Was very disappointed. But, just found out my friend had not downloaded iOS 7.0 before cruise and they may have hindered it. I think I read it needed that and a apple phone 4 or higher. It did work on Carnival Dream. Headed out on Celebrity Reflection in Jan and hope it works there.

But it is totally free once you pay .99. I've read that some ships settings block it, not because they've changed their settings to do so, but because it's kind of turning everything "on" just in case. Now it's a case of getting them to go in and turn one thing off.

Remaining hopeful.

Only problem is that Gambee always purchases a Wifi package to update his blog while on board. If he runs it through a paid wifi package then sure it will work just fine.

I think apps like this will become the norm. Think of the money they could save on the new ships if they could eliminate running corded phones to thousands of individual staterooms. This is on trend with many company policies of BYOD (bring your own device) programs. The ships could saves thousands of pounds of equipment and maintenance by not having to hard wire every room. It is much easier to run wireless access points. Before long we will all just register our phone for intranet connection and we can do things like check spa appts, shows res, dinner res, etc.

Only problem is that Gambee always purchases a Wifi package to update his blog while on board. If he runs it through a paid wifi package then sure it will work just fine.

You can ask him. But pretty sure he communication this time only thru free wifi at ports. Because of this app I communicated with him (privately) several times with questions about how it was going. It worked for him with some problems that didn't effect him getting in touch with his family.

Didn't know you could no longer message them. That is not good news. Too many complaints then.

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App