picture of crown princess in construction

cruise6

Looks like that big one is fairly well along.

Sure wish Princess would bring out some new ships in the 70,000GRT, 1500/1800PAX range.

I maintain that any ship that can't fit through the Panama Canal is too big!

Sure wish Princess would bring out some new ships in the 70,000GRT, 1500/1800PAX range.

I maintain that any ship that can't fit through the Panama Canal is too big!

Ditto!

------

Thanks for the picture.

Wow, thanks for posting the pics. I've been hoping that someone would be able to find pics and post them. It's so interesting how they can build a ship like that in such a relatively short amount of time. I think that Princess should build a few more like the Coral/Island. Those ships are so much more flexible in the places they can go. The passegner space ratios are great on those ships too. On the other hand, Princess has also pushed the envelope with ship sizes, but I think they need to do some new design work if they are going to continue to do big ships. They need to be able to provide good passenger space ratios, above 40 at least and maintain their passenger staff ratios. I think on the Caribbean Princess the space ratios are more like what Carnival has, and the passenger staff ratios are also too low.

How do you get there?

Red Hook in general and most especially the waterfront area is not easily accessible by subway. I think you'd have to take the 4 (express) or 5 (local) train and get off at Borugh hall in Brooklyn, then take the4 city bus or a cab. Better bet is just cab it from Manhattan. If you're planning to stay overnight the night before the cruise there aren't many hotel choices in Brroklyn but there is a Marriott.

Better bet is to look for a deal on Priceline or Hotwire for a hotel in lower Manhattan around the financial district. Those rooms sometimes go for less on weekend nights because they're primarily business rather than tourist hotels.

A cab from down there shouldn't be too bad - probably about $20 - $25 at most but you'll also have to pay the tunnel fare - about another $5 or $6. I don't know what the status of secure parking is but it's got to be cheaper than parking in Manhattan!

Your'e from Syracuse? I'm from the southern end of Cayuga Lake. This past May we got to NYC port by way of PA. Left our car at a friends and took a limo in. Just wondering where Red Hook would be in relation to the other port and if we will be able to do the same route the next cruise.You sound like you know NYC pretty well.

Laura

Is it gonna be the biggest in Princess' fleet? Looks exactly the same as the Grand class ships in those pics.

The Caribbean and Crown Princess are almost identical to the Grand Class except they have a whole extra deck of balcony cabins. This obviously raises the passenger count from 2600 to 3100.

Archived