Captains, General Managers, Cruise Directors etc.

92mill

I would suggest that the GM is more important in terms of setting the temper of a cruise than either the Captain or the CD, since the GM sets the tone of service.

Cheers, Fred

You are quite right, Fred. These days, the GM is in charge of everything not related to "driving the ship" and has responsibilities on the same level as the captain. They work together. While the CAPTAIN still maintains an "aura", the GM is responsible for everything else, which really affects the rest of us, except that this hotel floats. I respect them both enormously.

That Neil Broomhall on the Diamond was so much fun! He loved that aft end of the ship in warm waters, and gave my daughter so much fun on many college vacations with his water toys! Actually, I hated to see both of those captains go when the Diamond was sold. There's a lot I miss about that ship, but not the slow slow speed to which she was limited, when she was going against the tides. Sometimes it was like being on a bicycle in a strong headwind..

As for Captain McNeil, well, who just could not love the bagpipes, and his kilts, and his overall love of mingling with guests.

Edited by jhp

McNeil! What a total package. I was sitting in the coffee connection on Navigator early one morning. Nobody was around yet. I was watching a very junior sailor struggling to hang a picture of some sort on the hallway wall. He was having a very bad time of it. McNeil, just starting his day, ambled by and warmly greeted the sailor by name. He noticed the lad was having trouble and immediately pitched in. Both the captain of the ship and the lowly sailor were now struggling to hang the picture. How often would you see a picture like that on a cruise ship? My guess: almost never. They finally succeeded with the help of Ray Solaire who also ambled by and joined in.

I don't know why Regent keeps names of Captains, GMs, CDs etc as a "state secret" when Oceania includes them in the lovely book they send you about your cruise (we got ours about 4 weeks before sailing). "Your Captain is..." etc. It is really nice to know and of course a name can change - someone might get ill or quit or something - but nonetheless it is a nice gesture.

alright, for me it is important to know who the Chef, Sous chef and Director of Food and Beverage (head sommelier) are on the Navigator ? I always get a list of the

available wines by the glass, so I know what to ask for when we dine. Little known to most but several of the poured wine are much better than others. Often they try and pour lesser quality wines. To my experience this is on all lines include wines.

And the Chefs love to be appreciated and often make suggestions for up coming meals.

Will be sailing on the Amazon Cruise this November.

:)

alright, for me it is important to know who the Chef, Sous chef and Director of Food and Beverage (head sommelier) are on the Navigator ? I always get a list of the

available wines by the glass, so I know what to ask for when we dine. Little known to most but several of the poured wine are much better than others. Often they try and pour lesser quality wines. To my experience this is on all lines include wines.

And the Chefs love to be appreciated and often make suggestions for up coming meals.

Will be sailing on the Amazon Cruise this November.

Are you trying to find out this information in advance? While it is fairly easy to find out the Food & Beverage Director, in all of our cruises, we have never known who the Sous chef is and learn who the Head Sommelier is when we get on board. Keep in mind that whoever the F&B Director is a week before your cruise may not be the same one as when you get onboard.

Quite a few Regent passengers are interested in the wine list. We also try wines and order them again once we find those that we like.

Definitely agree that the Executive Chef enjoys being appreciated. Once onboard I would let either Reception or the General Manager know that you would like to meet the Exec. Chef. When you are at dinner, ask to speak to the Head Sommelier.

Hope you enjoy your cruise

I will seek out the Chef and Head Sommelier as soon as I board.

I'm not so interested in the wine list but the wines they pour.

I have sailed the Navigator before and got along famously with the kitchen and wine stewards. The Som will print out a list of the current wines being poured. I know wine and for me as long as there are a few decent pours, I'm very happy! A Sancerre, a Provence Rosé, and maybe a young Italian or Spanish red. With the hot weather for this trip easy drinking light wines are the ticket!