Shame on you Chip Romero!

I just have two questions:

1. How did Chip know that there was an autistic child in the audience?

2. When your 8 year old answered the question of how old he was, did Chip say "come on up" or did the 8 year old just start going up? Seems if it was the latter, then why get all bent out of shape?

I cannot believe that you are asking such stupid questions.

How DARE a child experience disappointment! I would have looked at my child and said, "Well that's a bummer", and it would have been done, whether he wanted it to be or not.

I agree that kids should realize disappointment is a part of life, but this was an intentional act of humiliation toward a child, and that isn't right.

I agree that kids should realize disappointment is a part of life, but this was an intentional act of humiliation toward a child, and that isn't right.

Agreed .. Lets see how fast he is to raise His hand next time ..

Cheap laugh = cheap comedian ;)

Mountain out of a mole hill. People in the audiences are frequently made into a joke. It's not meant to be an insult unless you make it into one. Stereotypes are commonly used by comics, especially black comics.

Did your child start to go up towards the stage without being asked? It sounds as if he did from your description.

Are you looking for a BIG credit on your next cruise?

Edited by cruzsnooze

Are you sure your 8 year old wasn't just uncomfortable with the attention of being called up on stage, including a comment (any comment) made while he was getting there? At 8, my DD hadn't seen Forrest Gump (which is PG13) and would not have understood the reference.

Mountain out of a mole hill. People in the audiences are frequently made into a joke. It's not meant to be an insult unless you make it into one. Stereotypes are commonly used by comics, especially black comics.

Did your child start to go up towards the stage without being asked? It sounds as if he did from your description.

Are you looking for a BIG credit on your next cruise?

Just for the record the OP was not at a comic show. They were at a family magic show. The material should be appropriate for the audience. What the OP experienced was not appropriate.

Rochelle

Forrest Gump was not an autistic character. He was mildly retarded. The movie does not even come close to suggesting autism, and it is a far reach for anyone to even hint that this kid was being called "autistic". Further "run forrest run" is an app on apple. It's a game for KIDS based on the movie and how fast Forrest can run.

Edited by SissasMomE

Are you sure your 8 year old wasn't just uncomfortable with the attention of being called up on stage, including a comment (any comment) made while he was getting there? At 8, my DD hadn't seen Forrest Gump (which is PG13) and would not have understood the reference.

Whether a child knows or not, it is hurtful to a parent to have a child made fun of. That is not comedy. And this was not an adult comedy show. This was a family show of comedic magic.

Really? I'm in no way complaining that my child didn't get chosen for something. I'd think you could see the difference. And yes, I think jokes about people with autism should be banned, especially at a family show. But that's just me.

Sorry I didn't mean to imply that you were complaining about your child.

However the autistic child was not directly insulted. Indirectly yes but not directly

Any Forrest Gump joke is silly IMHO but they are made quite often so what to do about it?

Ban them?

Ban fat jokes?

Etc?

It's a slippery slope when such is done IMHO. Having a thick skin does help though

You should google the late comedian. John pinette.

I shod be insulted by him but am not. Go figure

Anyway the autistic child was not directly insulted that is the point

To be concerned about every single person in the audience is unrealistic that's all

No comedian can know what anyone's personal situation is and not only kids are autistic are they?

But whatever

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Forrest Gump was not an autistic character. He was mildly retarded. The movie does not even come close to suggesting autism, and it is a far reach for anyone to even hint that this kid was being called "autistic". Further "run forrest run" is an app on apple. It's a game for KIDS based on the movie and how fast Forrest can run.

This 1000 times over!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Whether a child knows or not, it is hurtful to a parent to have a child made fun of. That is not comedy. And this was not an adult comedy show. This was a family show of comedic magic.

The original post was of the SON'S hurt feelings. That is the part I am questioning.

I don't think Chip meant to hurt you or your family.. As tasteless as the joke was... If you contact him by e-mail or what ever one of the hardest words to say "sorry" would be in order... With that said let chip learn from this.... If he doesn't know he can't fix it... God Bless you and your family...:)

Exactly! The fact that the entertainer had no way of knowing that one person in the audience in the child had autism aside, the character of Forrest Gump was portrayed to be mildly MR, and autism was never mentioned explicitly or even suggested in the film.

A person quoted a movie line...are we so intent on piling on and attacking that we don't even want to look at the facts first?

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100626222834AAObzTc

"Forrest is a 'simple-minded' boy with braces on his legs. Some other boys start picking on him, so his friend, Jenny, tells him to "Run, Forrest. Run! And he does. The braces fall off and he realizes that for the very first time in his life, he is GOOD at something.

Later, he runs with a football for a college football team and gets on the All-American team. (Though he doesn't know when to stop so they have to hold up signs that say "Stop, Forrest. Stop."

He 'runs' away from snipers in the Vietnam jungle, carrying his wounded buddies away from the shooter and to safety.

He runs and runs across the country to escape bad memories.

Ironically, Forrest is the one who runs physically, though Jenny is the one who runs away from her memories of childhood abuse. Finally, she runs TO Forrest.

You really should watch this movie. Lots of good lines, lots of good quotes, lots of thought provoking scenes, LOTS of wonderful songs."

My family and I were on the Gem from 8/9-8/16. We had a great time and a thorough review will follow. I had just one experience that has left a sour taste in my mouth. I went to the Chip Romero magic show with my 8 year old son, my cousin & my 8 year old nephew. At one point during the show Mr. Romero asked for a young boy of 7 or 8 to volunteer. There were not many kids in the audience and my son (usually quite shy) actually put his hand up. Mr. Romero asked him how old he was and he said 8 excitedly and attempted to go to the stage. Then Mr. Romero stated "Hey, not so fast, run forest, run!" My son then sadly sat back down, and Mr. Romero found himself another volunteer who was 6 years old. I guess this was part of his act which he thinks is funny but I did not. For one, it hurt my sons feelings, and also, it was in very poor taste as my 8 year old nephew is autistic. I find myself really disgusted with this "performer" and pondering letting someone in charge know. Thoughts?

It makes me think it could be "fixed" and the other kid was chosen beforehand.