Captains Circle Photo Contest

denmarks

Princess holds a photo contest every year. Here is one of the rules.

Any entrant whose Photo and Story includes likenesses of third parties or contains elements not owned by the entrant (such as, but not limited to, depictions of persons, buildings, trademarks or logos) must be able to provide legal releases for such use including Princess's use of such Photo and Story, in a form satisfactory to Princess, upon request, prior to award of prize and/or naming of entrant as a potential winner.
How many amateur photographers on a cruise carry around photo releases? Has anyone entered the contest and what did you provide?

I've noticed that the winners in Princess photo contests tend to have no people in them, or if they are people, it is obviously the Captain's Circle members themselves. I have seen one or two where the people are so far away, individuals cannot be distinguished (e.g. looking across the river to the painted houses in Curacao).

I'm pretty sure the brown bear in the latest magazine didn't sign a release. :D

How many amateur photographers on a cruise carry around photo releases? Has anyone entered the contest and what did you provide?

I've entered many times and was lucky enough to be published once as an honorable mention. I agree with you that most clickers don't have or know what a photo release is. You don't know at the time you take your shot if that's "the one" anyway so just plan on picking your best without any backgrounds that contain logos, business names or people with recognizable faces. My honorable mention photo had the lifeguard at Princess Cays in it but he was facing away so no release needed there. I did submit one with a crew member in it once. I believed that to be okay since they are a Princess employee and I'm guessing they all waive their rights to public photos as part of their employment contract. If I had a real keeper with a face in it, hopefully it would have been someone I know and be able to have them sign a release.

Thanks for your question as it reminded me to pick out my best from this years cruise and enter once again. :)

I've noticed that the winners in Princess photo contests tend to have no people in them

That also seemed to be the case for the contest to select photos for the Royal Princess hallways.

Looking at the winning photos online when the contest ended, I do not remember seeing any with identifiable people and hardly any with people at all.

It's one of the rules because it's the law - they are using the photo for commercial purposes, and anyone recognizable in such a photo either must be compensated or have waived their rights to compensation. Amateur photographers might not carry around a photo release; if they don't, they simply need to choose a different photo to submit.

I've noticed that the winners in Princess photo contests tend to have no people in them, or if they are people, it is obviously the Captain's Circle members themselves. I have seen one or two where the people are so far away, individuals cannot be distinguished (e.g. looking across the river to the painted houses in Curacao).

I'm pretty sure the brown bear in the latest magazine didn't sign a release. :D

There are a lot of misconceptions by most about what can or can't be legally photographed without a release. On the far end of the spectrum look at all the nasty, questionable photo's Paparazzi take every day and don't get sued. Princess is just taking the high road so they don't have to deal with the potential legal backlash that could come from selecting a questionable photo. This is a great article on what you can and can't do in the USA with a camera:

http://www.clickinmoms.com/blog/street-photography-and-the-law-7-things-you-need-to-know/

Yes, as for me I didn't approach that Brown Bear to see if I could take his picture. He was 8-9 feet tall standing up and guessing was more than 800 lbs. I watched him for a while and the way he beat up the other bears for the fish I was pretty convinced he would have eaten me if given the chance. He bit salmon in half like they were made of butter. BTW, I used a Canon 800mm telephoto lens to take that shot so I wasn't nearly as close as it appears.

Once you submit your photo, whether you win the contest or not, Princess can do whatever it wants with your photo (i.e. you are giving the rights away to them). If I had a publish-worthy photo, I sure wouldn't give the rights away without a guaranteed reward.

Once you submit your photo, whether you win the contest or not, Princess can do whatever it wants with your photo (i.e. you are giving the rights away to them). If I had a publish-worthy photo, I sure wouldn't give the rights away without a guaranteed reward.

Close, but not quite. You give Princess (and affiliates) a worldwide, perpetual, non-exclusive right to publish, use, and edit <blah blah blah>. You still retain full rights to publish, use, sell, license, etc. as you wish. You're giving them rights, but you aren't giving those rights away - there's a sizable difference.

...Princess can do whatever it wants with your photo (i.e. you are giving the rights away to them). If I had a publish-worthy photo, I sure wouldn't give the rights away without a guaranteed reward.

likewise, i suppose you would never buy a lottery ticket (and lend the rights to your name and image), because they could not promise that you would win the lottery.