Does Celebrity Call Passengers for last minute upgrades?

sford75

Hi all, I am new to Celebrity, but Diamond on RCCL. During our last 2 cruises with RCCL, we received calls from RCCL about 2-3 weeks before sailing asking us if we would like to upgrade to a suite for a fee. Both times we took it, as it was a great deal. Ex. we were able to upgrade to a Suite Guarantee on the Navigator for 100/pp from a balcony and got a Grand Suite. Just wandering if Celebrity ever does the same? We always book the cabin we are happy with, but obviously would love the opportunity for something better for the right price.

Thanks!

Is that they don't call you direct, but through a favoured TA. We got the call on Tuesday from our TA who had been give five upgrades that morning to distribute. We have gone from an inside to a deluxe verandah for £100 per person for a fortnight. We are chuffed to bits!

I would say, stick with that TA. We have never had any offer by phone.

We've only had one call - from Royal - on FOTS. We upgraded from an inside to a balcony. Without that upgrade, we never ever would have tried a balcony. Now we're sold :D

I'm 99.9% we booked that trip through an agent, but if memory serves..... we got the call from Royal and not through our TA.

Is that they don't call you direct, but through a favoured TA. We got the call on Tuesday from our TA who had been give five upgrades that morning to distribute. We have gone from an inside to a deluxe verandah for £100 per person for a fortnight. We are chuffed to bits!

While that may be the practice in the UK [different "Terms & Conditions" are in play], it is my understanding that Celebrity does not initiate upsell calls [apparently quite common within the Carnival family of cruise brands] in the United States... If one wants to upgrade here, the practice is to watch pricing and initiate a call to Celebrity or one's Travel Agent [depending upon how the existing reservation was initially booked]; complimentary upgrades are extremely rare...

December 2013 we booked through Celebrity and they (Celebrity) did call with an upgrade from Aqua for a very good price...

Sail Celebrity with some frequency--never happened [though Celebrity's booking engine does encourage upsell at initial reservation]--and follow this forum closely; don't recall reading about it before... Good to know that the prospect is out there...

Upsell and upgrade threads are a constant topic on the Princess forum and, with lesser frequency, I've read of them on the HAL and Carnival forums... Once in a great while, it's discussed on the Royal Caribbean board...

May your good fortune continue!

We received an upgrade once, but we called to ask about it. After final payment, if you see prices drop enough that a higher level of cabin is on sale for less than what you paid for your cabin, call and you may receive an upgrade.

Hi all, I am new to Celebrity, but Diamond on RCCL. During our last 2 cruises with RCCL, we received calls from RCCL about 2-3 weeks before sailing asking us if we would like to upgrade to a suite for a fee. Both times we took it, as it was a great deal. Ex. we were able to upgrade to a Suite Guarantee on the Navigator for 100/pp from a balcony and got a Grand Suite. Just wandering if Celebrity ever does the same? We always book the cabin we are happy with, but obviously would love the opportunity for something better for the right price.

Thanks!

First, if they can use your room and sell it, then you will have 24hr to decide if you want the change.

The first time we booked a sky suite we got a call about 2 weeks out offering a penthouse suite for $2000 more. We were already pushing the limit on the sky suite, so we turned it down. We have no use for all that space, as we travel alone and really what are we going to do with a player piano and a big dining table and all those couches??!

Now.... if we got that call..... and it was a longer cruise ... we *might* take it, but we likely will never get that call.

We met a couple on our roll call who got the call from their TA from a CS to a PH and took it. December 2012 Eclipse, they were Canadian, not sure if they were using a CAN or USA Travel Agent.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Edited by need2bespoiled

We were upgraded to the PS and did not learn about it until we were onboard and in Michael's Club. The people who had our suite were given it in October but our luggage tags received about 2 weeks prior to the cruise still listed our original room number on it. It was a crazy exciting surprise.

In your online Capn CLub profile there is 'wish list' setting about interest in upgrades. They 'may' consider it too for guaranty assignments since it has choices about type, location of upgrades you are interested in. That said I only received 1 call in 12 years and it may have been RCL.

OTOH, I have watched closely how full the ship was just prior to sailing in my categories of interest and had my TA make an 'expression of interest' call. Got good outcome a couple times - but there seems to be element of luck, helpfulness as to which sales rep the TA reaches and what side of the bed they got out of that morning :eek:

I do 2-3 cruises a year and my TA willing to go to bat for my request although chance success is maybe 25%. I think upgrading to Aqua or Concierge is best upgrade chance since these seem to have the biggest price drops after final booking date. Consider if you get a 'low added cost' upgrade whether your BEV package perk will be surrendered. GOOD LUCK

We are about to set sail on our 150th Celebrity cruise and are still waiting for our first call from Celebrity offering an upgrade for $ or $$.

We have had a wonderful surprise on GTY categories, and an occasional upgrade from an HD on certain sailings.

We were surprised on receiving one call from Celebrity 6 years ago when we were given an almost free cruise (had to pay taxes & fees) for reaching the equivalent of Zenith (100 old cruise credits).

OK Celebrity Cruises (official) representative: If you're monitoring this thread.. I'm interested and waiting by the phone. Make us an offer we can't refuse. :D

In your online Capn CLub profile there is 'wish list' setting about interest in upgrades. They 'may' consider it too for guaranty assignments since it has choices about type, location of upgrades you are interested in. That said I only received 1 call in 12 years and it may have been RCL.

You have a different profile capability on your Captain's Club site. I would really like to see a screenshot of that option. The only things on my wish list are future cruise destinations. :confused:

On a recent transatlantic, some Brit friends had booked a Sky Suite for the 15 nights...

...and got upgraded to a ROYAL SUITE!

...FOR *F*R*E*E*! :eek:

Well many Brits do comment upon inequitable treatment on opposite sides of the Atlantic.. ;)

I was just on my Captains Club profile and could not find anything regarding a "wish list" - can you enlighten me:confused:

MY BAD - gray hair strikes again - it was RCL that I found profile wish list, not Celeb. Sorry.

We are about to set sail on our 150th Celebrity cruise and are still waiting for our first call from Celebrity offering an upgrade for $ or $$.

We have had a wonderful surprise on GTY categories, and an occasional upgrade from an HD on certain sailings.

We were surprised on receiving one call from Celebrity 6 years ago when we were given an almost free cruise (had to pay taxes & fees) for reaching the equivalent of Zenith (100 old cruise credits).

OK Celebrity Cruises (official) representative: If you're monitoring this thread.. I'm interested and waiting by the phone. Make us an offer we can't refuse. :D

WOW! I was feeling left out because I never got an upgrade offer for around 25 cruises or so. I can't prove a thing here, but I think upgrades are offered for various reason - primarily marketing. If Celebrity smells a brand new customer that they think may be encouraged to book high level cabins in the future they may want to entice that person. Someone who has already cruised with them time and time and time again is already loyal so they don't need to buy our loyalty, just maintain it. Occasionally they may need a particular room for a large group booking or similar, and may offer an upgrade in that case to the person whose room they need. Other than that, I believe it is a rare occurrence indeed for Celebrity to offer a really well-priced (let alone free) upgrade. My opinion, can't prove it.

Edited by phoenix_dream