Charging Privileges for Teens?

GolfMom321

I looked back 25+ pages and didn't see anything about this.

Can I set it up so that my teens have only a set amount that they can charge? Like giving them, say, $25 or $50 OBC and when that's gone, it's gone? My daughter has NO concept of money and will not understand if I try to tell her she's limited to X amount. Is it all or nothing? I WILL be getting her the soda package, but she's likely to want some gelato, or a souvenir, or something. Going on the Regal in February.

Thanks!

This thread is for an RCCL cruise but I would think it should be the same on Princess:

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1807450

Guest Services will arrange your charge account any way you like, including putting either a daily or an overall limit (or both) on the account. Or you can just have her account to be purely cash deposit (whatever amount you choose to deposit), and once the cash is gone, she won't be able to charge any more.

Edited by Illyria

Or else just gift her account a certain amount and make that all that is available on their card.

When that's gone will she whine expecting more, and are you apt to give in; a little cheese with her whine?

This thread is for an RCCL cruise but I would think it should be the same on Princess:

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1807450

Guest Services will arrange your charge account any way you like, including putting either a daily or an overall limit (or both) on the account. Or you can just have her account to be purely cash deposit (whatever amount you choose to deposit), and once the cash is gone, she won't be able to charge any more.

Thanks! Assuming Princess is the same, this should work out pretty well.

I will be paying the shore excursions and the auto gratuity for all of us. Both kids will have the soda package. I'm just thinking for souvenirs, gelato, or any other "stuff" they might want. While my DS (17) understands the need to limit spending (and is quite responsible with his money), my DD (18) has absolutely no concept of money. She will just spend and spend and not understand that it isn't "free". So I need to handle the issue BEFORE it becomes an issue.

The Autogratuity will still be charged to her 'account' (I think it can be transferred over but only daily as it is charged). So if you pre-pay credit, it will come from that, but be available earlier in the cruise to spend.

I forget if you can set a daily limit for charges.

If you go with the UDP as opposed to the soda card it includes milkshakes , mocktails, etc, so you could just set a no gelato rule (or if she drinks coffee, purchase the coffee card as well which covers gelato I think - someone can confirm) which would give her 2 a day. With those covered, you could kill charging privileges really.

I will be paying the shore excursions and the auto gratuity for all of us. Both kids will have the soda package. I'm just thinking for souvenirs, gelato, or any other "stuff" they might want. While my DS (17) understands the need to limit spending (and is quite responsible with his money), my DD (18) has absolutely no concept of money. She will just spend and spend and not understand that it isn't "free". So I need to handle the issue BEFORE it becomes an issue.

She can whine all she wants--when it's gone, it's gone!

What do you think is an appropriate amount for a 7 day cruise, considering she will have the soda package?

I agree with another poster that suggested gifting $xx. What that amount is I think depends on the age of the teens and spending habits. As you are paying for everything, I think $50 for each of them will buy treats and a few souvenirs.

The dau thinks you are a money tree I gather. Somewhat surprised the younger son knows you aren't.

Edited by Treven

We have traveled with our grandkids numerous times, mostly in adjoining cabins. I go to the desk and give cash for their account, no problem. The tips and shore excursions were never charged to their account, because they don't have one. When you set up your credit card it asks who has permission to charge, none given to them. The tips/shore excursions were charged to the main person, roomed booked under.

I agree with another poster that suggested gifting $xx. What that amount is I think depends on the age of the teens and spending habits. As you are paying for everything, I think $50 for each of them will buy treats and a few souvenirs.

The dau thinks you are a money tree I gather. Somewhat surprised the younger son knows you aren't.

No, but DD is cognitively impaired and just doesn't grasp the concept of money. When I got a new car recently, she asked me "did it cost $1000?" I've had to put all sorts of blocks on her cell phone because she couldn't comprehend the data limits or the associated costs. It's just the way it is, so I have to find workable alternatives.

I was also thinking $50 each, so that's what I will do.

We have traveled with our grandkids numerous times, mostly in adjoining cabins. I go to the desk and give cash for their account, no problem. The tips and shore excursions were never charged to their account, because they don't have one. When you set up your credit card it asks who has permission to charge, none given to them. The tips/shore excursions were charged to the main person, roomed booked under.

OK, that's more what I was hoping for. If I can do it with OBC I will. If not, I'll just give them cash at the desk.

Thanks so much for all your helpful answers!!

No, but DD is cognitively impaired and just doesn't grasp the concept of money. When I got a new car recently, she asked me "did it cost $1000?" I've had to put all sorts of blocks on her cell phone because she couldn't comprehend the data limits or the associated costs. It's just the way it is, so I have to find workable alternatives.

I was also thinking $50 each, so that's what I will do.

OK, that's more what I was hoping for. If I can do it with OBC I will. If not, I'll just give them cash at the desk.

Thanks so much for all your helpful answers!!

Whatever limits etc you have them place on the account make sure you keep checking the account. They don't always get it right. :eek:

GolfMom, my apologies in thinking your daughter just felt you were a money tree, not knowing all the facts.

I had a thought about the $50 limit. It either of your kids want to buy a souvenir sweatshirt from the gift shop on board, that would just about wipe out their limit, the prices are pretty steep. You might consider you springing for something like that rather than it coming out of the kid's limit.

Edited by Treven

GolfMom, my apologies in thinking your daughter just felt you were a money tree, not knowing all the facts.

I had a thought about the $50 limit. It either of your kids want to buy a souvenir sweatshirt from the gift shop on board, that would just about wipe out their limit, the prices are pretty steep. You might consider you springing for something like that rather than it coming out of the kid's limit.

On a Princess cruise with my boys when they were much younger one of them (about 12) showed up at the table in the DR with an $800 ring :eek: he purchased from the jewelry shop onboard. It was about 5 sizes to big and he had it on his thumb! Needless to say he was marched right back to the store and it was returned with a comment on the credit slip of

"buyers remorse". :eek:

I can only laugh about it now. :D

On a Princess cruise with my boys when they were much younger one of them (about 12) showed up at the table in the DR with an $800 ring :eek: he purchased from the jewelry shop onboard. It was about 5 sizes to big and he had it on his thumb! Needless to say he was marched right back to the store and it was returned with a comment on the credit slip of

"buyers remorse". :eek:

I can only laugh about it now. :D

I'm sure you weren't one bit amused by it then! Part of my mind thinks the sales people, in the jewelry shop as an example, should be a bit more pro-active (but I hate that trite phrase) in making sure obviously young kids aren't able to make purchases like your son did.

"buyers remorse".

I can only laugh about it now.

Colo Cruiser, you owe me a new monitor!!!! Just spewed tea all over mine. :D:D:D:D:D