Walgreens pharmacy near the Old San Juan Port

jrmende63

I just realized I will not be able to refill my medicine before I leave for San Juan. I am staying at the Numero Uno Best Guest House. I am looking for a Walgreens either near there or near the Old San Juan port. Does anyone who lives in San Juan or has been to a Walgreens there have any help?

I can't refill it before leaving due to the price of the medicine is 55.00 with my co-pay. The insurance will not refill it until 2 days before we get on ship.

I am positive there is one there. I just looked it up from their website and it is on Calle San Fransisco and Calle Cruz not far from the center of Old San Juan. I am sure you could call the national number and arrange to pick up your prescription there even have it ready for you. Good luck and enjoy San Juan and the the Valor.... we are going on her in January 2015 (doing this route again) it is an awesome cruise.

I am positive there is one there. I just looked it up from their website and it is on Calle San Fransisco and Calle Cruz not far from the center of Old San Juan. I am sure you could call the national number and arrange to pick up your prescription there even have it ready for you. Good luck and enjoy San Juan and the the Valor.... we are going on her in January 2015 (doing this route again) it is an awesome cruise.

Thank You so much! I did look on the Walgreen website, but had no clue which store was closest to Old San Juan pier. We are getting excited :D

Thank You so much! I did look on the Walgreen website, but had no clue which store was closest to Old San Juan pier. We are getting excited :D

Have your local walgreens call your insurance carrier and tell them that you are leaving the country. They will make your refill available earlier than it is due. That solves any problems of getting the specific medication in San Juan.

Steve

There is a walgreen's store in OSJ near the pier. If you are thinking of going before getting to the ship just tell the cab driver to let you off at "Walgreen's Plaza de Armas". If going to the ship first, then cross the street where the pier is located and keep walking left past CVS and take a right at the next corner. You will walk up 2 short block on Recinto Sur street, you'll see a Frist Bank in front of you on the corner. Turn left on the First Bank sidewalk and keep walking until the street turns right up a fairly steep but short hill. Walk up 3 short blocks on the right on calle De La Cruz and you'll find the Walgreens on the right corner in front of you.

Hope this helps.

Have your local walgreens call your insurance carrier and tell them that you are leaving the country. They will make your refill available earlier than it is due. That solves any problems of getting the specific medication in San Juan.

Steve

I thought of that...but my insurance company won't do early refills. If this was not a blood pressure med, I would not even worry about it.

There is a walgreen's store in OSJ near the pier. If you are thinking of going before getting to the ship just tell the cab driver to let you off at "Walgreen's Plaza de Armas". If going to the ship first, then cross the street where the pier is located and keep walking left past CVS and take a right at the next corner. You will walk up 2 short block on Recinto Sur street, you'll see a Frist Bank in front of you on the corner. Turn left on the First Bank sidewalk and keep walking until the street turns right up a fairly steep but short hill. Walk up 3 short blocks on the right on calle De La Cruz and you'll find the Walgreens on the right corner in front of you.

Hope this helps.

Perfect! Thank You so much!

:D:):D

I'm glad that the CVS was also mentioned because that might be another option for you. It's a great store if you need to pick up anything including soda and water. I ran out of some otc meds and was able to get everything at the same sale prices I would get at home. And I got the points too. I didn't have my club card because it's on my keychain which was in my safe but they have phone look-up too.

I'm glad that the CVS was also mentioned because that might be another option for you. It's a great store if you need to pick up anything including soda and water. I ran out of some otc meds and was able to get everything at the same sale prices I would get at home. And I got the points too. I didn't have my club card because it's on my keychain which was in my safe but they have phone look-up too.

I am going to ask my pharmacy tomorrow...I have one refill left on a RX ...I maybe able to transfer that one refill to CVS ...since I am going for wine and water anyways.

CVS and Walgreen's in OSJ are both very near the docks. A very short walk to both. Your doctor's Rx is good in Puerto Rico. It is a U.S. port. Were it me, I'd ask the usual Walgreen's you use, where they would know you, to please put in the refill order to San Juan pharmacy with a note what you are doing and why. That may make it possible for the refill to be ready and waiting for you to pick it up.

The Walgreens near the Numero Uno Guesthouse is very nice. We usually stay in Ocean Park pre-cruise and try to make a point of going to that store when we do. It's around the corner from Kasalta Bakery which is also very nice, down the street from the guesthouse.

The Walgreens near the Numero Uno Guesthouse is very nice. We usually stay in Ocean Park pre-cruise and try to make a point of going to that store when we do. It's around the corner from Kasalta Bakery which is also very nice, down the street from the guesthouse.

Ok so there is one near the Guest house. I can go there. Thank You.

As a pharmacist, I find it hard to believe that the insurance company won't refill the med early due to a vacation. I would call the number on your card, explain the situation, and ask them to fill it early before you leave. It could be the pharmacist in your store doesn't want to do the extra work. If that is the case, please report them. Enjoy your cruise. (maybe you will be so relaxed you won't need BP meds :)

As a pharmacist, I find it hard to believe that the insurance company won't refill the med early due to a vacation. I would call the number on your card, explain the situation, and ask them to fill it early before you leave. It could be the pharmacist in your store doesn't want to do the extra work. If that is the case, please report them. Enjoy your cruise. (maybe you will be so relaxed you won't need BP meds :)

Jill,

I called the insurance again today. They now say call them one week before and they will try to talk to caremark. I will get the med one way or another..I just read on my warnings paper, that it can cause a heart attack if I suddenly stop taking it. So I will get it whether I have to walk to Walgreens in PR or can get care mark to give it to me early. I did speak to the folks in PR and they said I could refill it there no problem. They could see in my file that the prescription is only 1 month old. I guess PR has a rule that the RX can be filled if less than 6 mos old.

Edited by jrmende63

• 2 weeks later...

Not to be funny, but this happened once with us. We worked with the pharmacy, and the pharmacist, politely told the insurance company that we were leaving the country, and that his customers would be willing to sue them for any medical conditions, that happened due to missed doses. The insurance company changed their mind.

You must be firm with them, and not back down. Most insurance companies can and will give a vacation waiver provided that the prescription is not a restricted drug.