Dave’s Live from Amsterdam 14-day Alaska, August 24 – September 7, 2014

RetiredMustang

Do you post the really tasty items you try from the menu or is this too personal? Hoping to know what to order for dinner. It all sounds yummy and not the kind of thing I eat every day. I'm counting the days until my Amsterdam Alaska adventure. Please let me know if there is any menu item you really don't feel is up to par. Thanks so much.

The first night, I had the mussels, about 8 or 9, which were very good; the fisherman's chowder, which had clams, bay scallops, white fish and shrimp in a cream sauce and was excellent; and the roast chicken which was moist and flavorful, with a cranberry chicken gravy. Dessert was a light devil's food cake, again excellent.

Tonight, I had the shrimp cocktail and Beef Wellington. Both were to the usual good HAL standards. Dessert was apple crisp, which was good but could have used more apples or less crisp.

Dave

Monday, Aug. 25, at sea (cont.)

The day broke with sunny skies and mist on the horizon. We could see Vancouver Island off the starboard side all morning. Then, the mist rose up the slopes until only the hilltops were visible. Then, the ship entered the mist/fog bank and spent several hours with the horn blowing. The captain, in his 1 p.m. remarks, said that it was a fine day out there… if only we could see it.

It is now (as I write) 8 p.m., and the sun has broken through the fog and it is again a fine day. Weather tomorrow in Ketchikan is expected to be cloudy with an occasional shower – you know, Alaska.

We did many unremarkable things this afternoon, mostly involving lounging about, and surprisingly some of them involving a glass of wine or beer, and we are worn out. We turn our clocks back tonight, so will gain another hour of sleep (not that I have been lacking).

I was going to try to upload some more ship photos, but the Harris internet connections are showing their first episode of high traffic timing me out of photobucket, so I will try again on a less high-volume time, probably early tomorrow morning. So far, I have found the Harris service to be pretty good, fast and easy to use until now, and that is understandable – there are probably a lot of people trying to get on just now.

Tonight was the first formal night, and a few tuxes were to be seen, but mostly it was jacket and tie and cocktail dresses. Here is the menu:

Appetizers

- Chilled Lychees with Kiwi Wedges

- Jumbo Shrimp Cocktail

- Carpaccio of Beef Tenderloin

- Escargots Bourguinonne

Soups and Salad

- Gold Rush Soup (cream-based fennel and yellow tomato with crème fraiche)

- Asian Chicken Consomme

- Chilled Watermelon Gazpacho

- Smoked Salmon, Pear and Fennel Salad

Entrees

- Mushroom Ravioli

- Seared Petrale Sole Fillet with Lemon-Parsley Vinaigrette

- Fillet of Beef Wellington

- Rack of Lamb with Oregano and Apple Chutney

- Maple-Lacquered Duck Breast

- Vegetable “Spaghetti” with Grilled Portobello

Here is the dessert menu:

Desserts

- Chocolate Souffle

- Master Chef Rudi’s Double Strawberry Cheesecake

- Tropical Warm Mocha Pound Cake

- Black Forest Cake no sugar added

Frozen Treats- Vanilla Ice Cream

- Coconut Ice Cream

- Mango Sherbet

- Strawberry Frozen Yogurt

- No sugar added Vanilla Ice Cream

- No sugar added Amaretto Ice Cream

- Hot Fudge Sundae

Espresso Drinks- Espresso $1.25

- Cappuccino $1.75

- Extra shot $0.50

Recommended Cordial of the Day: Hazel Eyes (Frangelico, Bailey’s and Kahlua) $5.95

Available Daily

- The Gold Rush Baked Alaska

- Fruit Crisp of the Day: Apple Crisp

- Sliced Fruit Plate

- North American Cheese Plate (English Stilton, Humbold Fog, Leiden, Old Amsterdam)

More later,

Dave

Edited by RetiredMustang

Lucky you, Dave - coconut ice cream seems to be back on the menu. It was no where to be found on our May 18th sailing - and believe me, we looked high and low!

Thanx for sharing your on-board reports. I'm vicariously reliving my three previous trips on this itinerary and enjoying every minute!

More please.....:D

Tuesday, Aug. 26, Ketchikan

We were up early enough to see the approach to the port. There is a larger ship ahead of us, presumably either the NCL or Princess ship that sailed from Seattle with us, but no one behind us. It is before dawn, but getting light, and the weather appears mostly cloudy, but clear air.

Here are today’s On Location pages:

26AugOnLocation1_zps4bbeea2e.jpg

26AugOnLocation2_zps55513d80.jpg

And, here are the Ketchikan pages from the Explorer booklet:

Ketchikan1_zps76f00f51.jpg

Ketchikan2_zps33d2e245.jpg

I have been to Ketchikan before, but almost 20 years ago, and DW has never been, so we intend to go ashore and walkabout for a while. We have a ship’s excursion at 1 p.m., the Herring Cove Bear Adventure, which we booked because we hope to see some fish-slapping bears (ursus pisceslappus).

More later,

Dave

I just have to tell you how much I appreciate your "live from" posts. Your photos are so crisp and clear, they make me feel like I'm onboard with you. Thanks for taking the time for us landlubbers!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

We were up early enough to see the approach to the port. There is a larger ship ahead of us, presumably either the NCL or Princess ship that sailed from Seattle with us, but no one behind us. It is before dawn, but getting light, and the weather appears mostly cloudy, but clear air.

from the marine traffic maps - looks like the Statendam is ahead of you. Celebrity and Princess are already docked. The webcam shows clouds with breaks so hopefully you'll have some dry time on land today. Have fun!!

Monday, Aug. 25, at sea (cont.)

The day broke with sunny skies and mist on the horizon. We could see Vancouver Island off the starboard side all morning. Then, the mist rose up the slopes until only the hilltops were visible. Then, the ship entered the mist/fog bank and spent several hours with the horn blowing. The captain, in his 1 p.m. remarks, said that it was a fine day out there… if only we could see it.

It is now (as I write) 8 p.m., and the sun has broken through the fog and it is again a fine day. Weather tomorrow in Ketchikan is expected to be cloudy with an occasional shower – you know, Alaska.

We did many unremarkable things this afternoon, mostly involving lounging about, and surprisingly some of them involving a glass of wine or beer, and we are worn out. We turn our clocks back tonight, so will gain another hour of sleep (not that I have been lacking).

I was going to try to upload some more ship photos, but the Harris internet connections are showing their first episode of high traffic timing me out of photobucket, so I will try again on a less high-volume time, probably early tomorrow morning. So far, I have found the Harris service to be pretty good, fast and easy to use until now, and that is understandable – there are probably a lot of people trying to get on just now.

Tonight was the first formal night, and a few tuxes were to be seen, but mostly it was jacket and tie and cocktail dresses. Here is the menu:

Appetizers

- Chilled Lychees with Kiwi Wedges

- Jumbo Shrimp Cocktail

- Carpaccio of Beef Tenderloin

- Escargots Bourguinonne

Soups and Salad

- Gold Rush Soup (cream-based fennel and yellow tomato with crème fraiche)

- Asian Chicken Consomme

- Chilled Watermelon Gazpacho

- Smoked Salmon, Pear and Fennel Salad

Entrees

- Mushroom Ravioli

- Seared Petrale Sole Fillet with Lemon-Parsley Vinaigrette

- Fillet of Beef Wellington

- Rack of Lamb with Oregano and Apple Chutney

- Maple-Lacquered Duck Breast

- Vegetable “Spaghetti” with Grilled Portobello

Here is the dessert menu:

Desserts

- Chocolate Souffle

- Master Chef Rudi’s Double Strawberry Cheesecake

- Tropical Warm Mocha Pound Cake

- Black Forest Cake no sugar added

Frozen Treats- Vanilla Ice Cream

- Coconut Ice Cream

- Mango Sherbet

- Strawberry Frozen Yogurt

- No sugar added Vanilla Ice Cream

- No sugar added Amaretto Ice Cream

- Hot Fudge Sundae

Espresso Drinks- Espresso $1.25

- Cappuccino $1.75

- Extra shot $0.50

Recommended Cordial of the Day: Hazel Eyes (Frangelico, Bailey’s and Kahlua) $5.95

Available Daily

- The Gold Rush Baked Alaska

- Fruit Crisp of the Day: Apple Crisp

- Sliced Fruit Plate

- North American Cheese Plate (English Stilton, Humbold Fog, Leiden, Old Amsterdam)

More later,

Dave

Really enjoying your review as always ...sometimes the menu items confuse me as we don't always call things the same in England . What is the fruit crisp?

Really enjoying your review as always ...sometimes the menu items confuse me as we don't always call things the same in England . What is the fruit crisp?

It's fruit with a "crunchy" crumb top baked in the oven.

Thanks for the updates Dave. As usual, very enjoyable.

Tuesday, Aug. 26, Ketchikan (cont.)

We were docked and people were leaving the ship just before 8. We are indeed just behind Statendam.

We went ashore and shopped, or at least looked into most of the shops on Front and Main Streets. We did find a section at the back of the Tongass dock store with a collection of useful items in case you missed bringing some, like packets of Kleenex, cough drops, etc. Most of the shops, though, had T-shirts, native crafts … and jewelry, lots of places with jewelry.

Here are a couple of shots of central Ketchikan, taken as we arrived:

Ketchikan1_zpsbe522ca6.jpg

Ketchikan2_zps0b1b3a23.jpg

It was kind of gray and cloudy, but as we were ashore, the sun came out and it was warm enough for shirtsleeves. We are back aboard now, and it has gotten cloudy again. The forecast is for possible showers this afternoon, but if the bears don’t care, then we won’t if we get a chance to see them.

More later,

Dave