Grandeur - pleasantly surprised!

Just returned from the Grandeur sailing out of Baltimore to Bermuda. Being mostly loyal to Celebrity (13 cruises) and after sailing on sister ship Enchantment 2 years ago out of Baltimore, I did not have high expectations for Grandeur. WOW - wasn't I surprised!

To start, we try to sail during times of limited kid population, so was not looking forward to this cruise with 480+ kids after sailing a Carnival ship last summer with 900+ kids. I must say the kids on Grandeur were much more behaved than the Carnival kids. The pool staff tried very hard to keep the kids out of the adult hot tubs on this cruise, though the kids hot tubs were closed a couple of times due to 'accidents' and the main pool was closed once due to an 'accident'. PARENTS - KEEP YOUR DIAPER CLAD KIDS OUT OF THE PUBLIC WATERWAYS!

The food in the main dining room was very good compared to our Enchantment cruise 2 years ago, almost on par with our Celebrity cruises, though not quite the variety or sauces or presentation. We were also glad to see that there was NO singing and dancing by the wait staff in the main dining room, other than the obligatory b-day wishes.

Overall, the ship, along with our cabin was very nice, with little or no signs of this ship being 18 years old. Though I am not a fan of the balconies on these older ships where the super structure is what forms the balcony.

The only big complaint I have is that there were no drink menus at either bar depicting the special concoctions available. I was told by one bartender that this was because of noro-virus and some price changes. So no blueberry-banana mo-rum cocktail for me - just the plain margaritas and mojitos.

I was also disappointed to see an additional charge in Chops Grill for certain items, such as the porterhouse. If I am paying $24 or $30 to eat in a steakhouse, I don't expect to pay another $19.95 for a steak. That is almost $50 for a steak dinner, on top of my cruise fare for the main dining room! BTW, we were the 1st cruise and one of the 1st diners to try out the new menu for Chops - very good flavors with everything.

Grandeur removed our hesitation to try something other than Celebrity ships. We will still avoid Carnival ships though - just not our style.

Edited by farmermd

We're on the Grandeur now and I agree with your comments. We have over 20 cruises on HAL and 2 prior RCL cruises on Enchantment. This ship is in great shape with a very friendly crew. There are quite a few children on this cruise but so far no problems. It's so easy to sail out of Baltimore if you live on or near the East Coast. I wouldn't hesitate to sail the Grandeur again.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I'm anxious to see the new Chops menu on Enchantment tomorrow. IMHO they should not put items on a menu in a single upcharge venue that are not included in the price.

I agree - seems a bit tacky, but it's all about supply & demand AND the shareholders.

Just returned from the Grandeur sailing out of Baltimore to Bermuda. Being mostly loyal to Celebrity (13 cruises) and after sailing on sister ship Enchantment 2 years ago out of Baltimore, I did not have high expectations for Grandeur. WOW - wasn't I surprised!

To start, we try to sail during times of limited kid population, so was not looking forward to this cruise with 480+ kids after sailing a Carnival ship last summer with 900+ kids. I must say the kids on Grandeur were much more behaved than the Carnival kids. The pool staff tried very hard to keep the kids out of the adult hot tubs on this cruise, though the kids hot tubs were closed a couple of times due to 'accidents' and the main pool was closed once due to an 'accident'. PARENTS - KEEP YOUR DIAPER CLAD KIDS OUT OF THE PUBLIC WATERWAYS!

The food in the main dining room was very good compared to our Enchantment cruise 2 years ago, almost on par with our Celebrity cruises, though not quite the variety or sauces or presentation. We were also glad to see that there was NO singing and dancing by the wait staff in the main dining room, other than the obligatory b-day wishes.

Overall, the ship, along with our cabin was very nice, with little or no signs of this ship being 18 years old. Though I am not a fan of the balconies on these older ships where the super structure is what forms the balcony.

The only big complaint I have is that there were no drink menus at either bar depicting the special concoctions available. I was told by one bartender that this was because of noro-virus and some price changes. So no blueberry-banana mo-rum cocktail for me - just the plain margaritas and mojitos.

I was also disappointed to see an additional charge in Chops Grill for certain items, such as the porterhouse. If I am paying $24 or $30 to eat in a steakhouse, I don't expect to pay another $19.95 for a steak. That is almost $50 for a steak dinner, on top of my cruise fare for the main dining room! BTW, we were the 1st cruise and one of the 1st diners to try out the new menu for Chops - very good flavors with everything.

Grandeur removed our hesitation to try something other than Celebrity ships. We will still avoid Carnival ships though - just not our style.

We have done a couple B2B's on the Grandeur. This past January, in the solarium, they had to make a lady take her diapered baby out of the pool. She was not a happy cruiser. We all applauded.

You might be surprised about Carnival. Of course I can only go by the Pride, out of Baltimore. We felt the same way and the first time I told my DH that we were getting a balcony in case of drunks and rowdiness. Did not have any of that and since then we go out at least once a year on the Pride.. We are past the partying age. (70's)

I'm anxious to see the new Chops menu on Enchantment tomorrow. IMHO they should not put items on a menu in a single upcharge venue that are not included in the price.

I agree - seems a bit tacky, but it's all about supply & demand AND the shareholders.

To Priusprof -- I have to agree with you that when they have a restaurant that has a single upcharge for the venue, they should not have items on the menu for an additional price.

But to Farmermd, don't blame the situation on 'supply and demand nor on the shareholders'. I am a shareholder, and see adding a fee to a single upcharge venue as wrong. Shareholder's don't make the marketing/sales decisions, and we have made nice profits these past years, and would continue to do so, without this type of situation in this venue.