Guarantee - stuck with connecting room?

Slopfrog

I'm booked for the Getaway with an ocean view guarantee on August 30th and was just assigned exactly what I really didn't want - a connecting cabin. (my wife and I are very quiet people.) I actually wanted to pay extra to pick my own cabin at the time of booking but it was not offered, only guarantees at the last minute. I knew it was a risk, but the odds seemed in my favor at the time. :/

Considering that there MIGHT be some families out there that might like the connecting room, what are my odds of getting Norwegian to move me to a non connection cabin? I do not want or expect an upgrade - just am dreading this connecting cabin.

If we can't get out of it, and noise is a serious issue on the ship, if there are any open cabins do they usually accommodate a move request?

I'm really anxious over this and it's ruining my vacation before I even go. I just knew this would happen. :(

I don 't know if they will move you, but it couldn't hurt to ask for a cabin in the same category.

Just to put your mind at ease, I have been in a connecting cabin on two cruises, and I only heard a little bit of noise one time for about 5 minutes. It wasn't any noisier than being in a cabin that wasn't connecting. Maybe we just got lucky and had quiet neighbors.

On my last NCL cruise, we didn't have a connecting cabin, but the person next door snored so LOUDLY during the night that I could hear it through the wall!

I always find it it funny when guarantees are booked and then people are unhappy with their cabin.

I was told years ago if you book a guarantee you have to be willing to take the worst possible cabin in that category and know that going in. That's why you get a better price.

If an upgrade come then it's just gravy.

I always find it it funny when guarantees are booked and then people are unhappy with their cabin.

I was told years ago if you book a guarantee you have to be willing to take the worst possible cabin in that category and know that going in. That's why you get a better price.

If an upgrade come then it's just gravy.

In fairness, this particular OP is not asking or looking for an upgrade. That said, I'm in agreement with you (but we nearly always book an inside guarantee, expecting the worst cabin on the ship. We've never been unhappy with our assignment .)

To the OP: we've never found connecting cabins to be any more noisy than any other cabin. Call and see what they will do if you want, but if you end up with your current assignment, the only way your cruise will be ruined is with your own worries. Enjoy!

And now the flip-side....I booked two adjoining cabins (next to each other, but not connecting), but I am thinking of about trying to switch to connecting cabins. (sorry, OP different cruise than you).

Why are we considering moving? We are traveling with my elderly parents and it would be easier to keep on eye on them in connecting, closer to elevators, and not directly over theater. The connecting cabins are more than we paid, but all of them are are still empty. I figure NCL would go for my deal, probably easier to sell my current non-connecting cabins.

In fairness, this particular OP is not asking or looking for an upgrade. That said, I'm in agreement with you (but we nearly always book an inside guarantee, expecting the worst cabin on the ship. We've never been unhappy with our assignment .)

To the OP: we've never found connecting cabins to be any more noisy than any other cabin. Call and see what they will do if you want, but if you end up with your current assignment, the only way your cruise will be ruined is with your own worries. Enjoy!

I do understand he is not asking for an upgrade but he is not happy with his assignment, kind of the same difference. Book a guarantee and you may get what you don't want. That is the chance you take.

Pay the extra and get exactly what you want.

I'm booked for the Getaway with an ocean view guarantee on August 30th and was just assigned exactly what I really didn't want - a connecting cabin. (my wife and I are very quiet people.) I actually wanted to pay extra to pick my own cabin at the time of booking but it was not offered, only guarantees at the last minute. I knew it was a risk, but the odds seemed in my favor at the time. :/

Considering that there MIGHT be some families out there that might like the connecting room, what are my odds of getting Norwegian to move me to a non connection cabin? I do not want or expect an upgrade - just am dreading this connecting cabin.

If we can't get out of it, and noise is a serious issue on the ship, if there are any open cabins do they usually accommodate a move request?

I'm really anxious over this and it's ruining my vacation before I even go. I just knew this would happen. :(

You stressing over nuthin !! Connecting or not does not mater for noise level.

I had one cabin that must of lost their hearing aids . They kept the t/v blaring and yelled over it . :eek: Not connected .

The deal is No moves on GTY's you agreed to take what you get.

You may be able to Buy an upgrade if there are cabins available .

Edited by biker@sea

I

just am dreading this connecting cabin. ...

Don't let this ruin your vacation. I don't know what it is you have heard about connecting cabins that has put you into this frame of mind, but as has been stated here, the noise level from any cabin is completely dependent upon how noisy your neighbors are. I have been in connecting cabins with no noise at all. I actually had to have one room reconfigured because there were no HC cabins available, so they switched things around to make more room, & my bed was placed right up against the connecting door. No problem, no noise.

I have been in non connecting cabins where the noise from the neighbors was as if they were in my room & I'm not talking rowdy party noise, just normal activity.

So you see, you have been stressing for the wrong reason. Noisy people book all kinds of cabins. I think that enough people have verified that there's no extra noise just because it's a connecting cabin. Enjoy your cruise :cool:

Edited by JuneauMe

you can call and ask, but be prepared to hear "no.". From what I can tell, with NCL your assignment is your assignment; they do not seem to allow swaps like some other cruiselines.

on the bright side, if the worst thing about your gty assignment is a connecting door, you likely got a perfectly decent assignment. If your neighbors are loud, you'll hear them with or without the door. If you are noise sensitive, pack so earplugs in case you get noisy people or things nearby. NCL no longer allow smoking in cabins, so thankfully the complaint of smoke coming around the door is a thing of the past.

make the call if you wish. No harm trying. Please post if you succeed. Otherwise relax and enjoy the cruise.

As others have said, connecting or not connecting, there is no difference in the noise. There a thick door, locked in both cabins, that insulate noise just as well as the cabin walls do. The amount of noise you hear..or don't hear..depends on how noisy you neighbors are. We've had connecting cabins several times and don't even realize they connect.

... I actually wanted to pay extra to pick my own cabin at the time of booking but it was not offered, only guarantees at the last minute.....

No need to point out the issues with doing a GTY - the OP posted it was the only option.

As to connecting - we have had them and no issues.

Thanks for at least making me feel like it isn't the end of the world. (This same thing ALWAYS happens to me in hotels and the noise is almost always an issue. I've finally gotten to the point I just refuse the room. So that's where my paranoia comes from.)

Does anybody know if there are two doors or one? If there are two doors then maybe I can open the one on my side and ask for a bunch of towels or pillows to jam in there.

Edited by Slopfrog

It can't hurt to call. I called when the prices dropped a couple of weeks ago. We were a balcony GTY and I politely asked if we could get an upgrade. I told the agent that I understood we weren't entitled to anything but just wanted to see if we could get higher floor or something. Agent was super nice. She checked what we paid and what the current price was. She placed me on hold to talk to a supervisor. It took about 20 minutes but we got upgraded to a higher deck. From BX to BC.

There are two doors, but like the others have said, it hasn't been our experience that they are any noisier than the non-connecting ones.

I read somewhere that someone used duct tape to seal around the door to cut down the noise.

We go for the connecting room everytime. That way, I know where the bed is located in the cabin. We have never heard any noises come from the connecting rooms. The doors are very secure. The beds are at the opposite side of the doors. So you will never hear what is going on next door. Have fun and enjoy the trip.....Never worry about the little things. It's a trip........

Slightly off topic, but OP, since you are so concerned about noise, if you are not already doing so, I suggest you travel with a white noise or "sleep" machine. As others have said, the noise you hear is related to your neighbors and often the connecting room is not an issue. But a sleep machine magically makes the neighbors, the vacuums, the sterwards carts, the kids in the hall, etc., go away.

I was just looking on the website and they are showing availability. I am assuming that you booked the OX category. The OC category is showing for $10 more than that price. The bonus being that the OC category has a free upgrade to a balcony.

Now if you booked an inside and were upgraded to the oceanview that would mean a little more money. From the type of prices showing today that would be a max increase of $90 per person

I think your best chance of changing cabins is to offer to pay for an upgrade as they can be very firm about not moving guaranteed cabins once assigned. If you do feel as if your cruise is already ruined would it not be worth it to pay a little more and. This amount could be anywhere from $10-$90. Now there is no guarantee that you would not end up with a balcony that did not have a connecting door but at least you would have a refuge if the neighbours were getting on your nerves.

Conversely you could just wait and see. It appears this cruise is not sold out, so try not to worry about it and wait and see. Hopefully you do not have noisy neighbours but if you do you could ask for a cabin change at that point.

Totally right off topic. I am also on this cruise and we have a nice roll call group happening with a few fun activities planned for on the ship. Stop by and have a look for yourself. here's a link;

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1868513

Hope to meet you on the ship.

Rochelle

I do understand he is not asking for an upgrade but he is not happy with his assignment, kind of the same difference. Book a guarantee and you may get what you don't want. That is the chance you take.

Pay the extra and get exactly what you want.

The OP had to book a guarantee since that was all that was available, no opportunity to pay extra for specific cabin.

The OP had to book a guarantee since that was all that was available, no opportunity to pay extra for specific cabin.

Now I am confused. They had to book a guarantee? Or it was only guarantee at the price point they were willing to pay? Or was it a free upgrade from inside to oceanview and these are guarantee only?

This cruise has availability in every category other than Spa cabins and Haven. So if they had been willing to pay a little more could they not have chosen their cabin from the beginning?

Rochelle

Now I am confused. They had to book a guarantee? Or it was only guarantee at the price point they were willing to pay? Or was it a free upgrade from inside to oceanview and these are guarantee only?

This cruise has availability in every category other than Spa cabins and Haven. So if they had been willing to pay a little more could they not have chosen their cabin from the beginning?

Rochelle

since you are on this sailing, you likely know more about availability than the rest of us. To be kind, maybe the OP thought only gty was available, even if other categories were available. Since there is availability, the OP likey has the option to pay for an upgrade. Nice that they have options.

since you are on this sailing, you likely know more about availability than the rest of us. To be kind, maybe the OP thought only gty was available, even if other categories were available. Since there is availability, the OP likey has the option to pay for an upgrade. Nice that they have options.

Yes I agree. No one should start their holiday feeling its ruined before it has even begun. Hopefully they will explore their options and hopefully be able to start their cruise with a much more positive outlook.

Rochelle

Yes I agree. No one should start their holiday feeling its ruined before it has even begun. Hopefully they will explore their options and hopefully be able to start their cruise with a much more positive outlook.

Rochelle

To late to change !!

I just did a mock booking on NCL.com and the O/V GTY is the top cat. open for booking . :(

To late to change !!

I just did a mock booking on NCL.com and the O/V GTY is the top cat. open for booking . :(

You are right. That is not what was showing when I tried a mock booking around 5 pm. Hopefully the OP was able to make an upgrade earlier. if not I wish them quiet neighbours!

Rochelle