Royal Caribbean's New Ship to Feature Lineless Embarkation and Robot Bartenders

LauraS

They mentioned during the live event that there would be "conventional" check-in for the technology challenged. As far as the robo-bar, they said that there would be humans there as well as the robots. I suspect that they need someone to make sure that kids don't get robo-served.

Judging by the functionality of their website I'm sure that all this new IT advancement will work out just swell.

You forget that it will probably be the same IT department that handles the web site.

On another note, a robotic bartender - really?! Now there's the personalized service I go on a cruise for (not!). Since I like my drinks "light", I'd probably have to order a coke, jack n coke and an empty glass to remix my own at the table LOL. I think the 15% gratuity would have to go for an "oil change and lube job" at the end of each cruise. Seriously, just think of how screwed up the drinks will get when the "chip" or program goes bad. Or, how about "sorry no drinks today the network is down"..

Gosh, we'll now be doing the 15% auto tip on drinks to robots. :D

LuLu

That was the first thing I wondered about when I saw the Fein- Pogue talk.

Also it will all be over when the robot in need of re-calabration suddenly starts throwing the Rum and Coke at the guests. :)

Denise

Bionic bar would be awesome. For RCI. No such thing as an overpour, ever. No unpaid-for "doubles". Not a single drop of profit wasted. No shrinkage. And you can bet that they'll still charge a 15% gratuity for the robo-bartender.

Wow. I am going to have to go the bionic bar

Can't wait to see how well the new check in works except for the people who don't like computers could make it fun

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It sounds pretty much like an airport checkin kiosk ... so cruiisng now is about to become as impersonal as flying. Great news.

Non human check in, non-human bars, woo-hoo --- cant wait. :rolleyes:

Theres such a thing as too much automation ... and RC has just crossed the line into that area .. vacations are about being served, no? and having a feeling of being taken care by a pleasant staff. Not by computers. IMO.

Let's see. The robotic bartenders (read more about them at http://makrshakr.com/) are only at one bar, and they said during the presentation that there would be humans around at the bar as well. I don't think they've said exactly how many bars on the ship, but this is only being done at one, and I think it's mostly being done as a gimmick, or to put a nicer spin on it, for entertainment. I think it would be fun to watch once or twice, but I don't know that I'd go there all the time. If you're on the ship, you don't need to go there at all if you don't like it. I think the idea here is to provide something different. How many types of bars are on the larger ships today? (Answer is an exercise left to the reader.) I don't go to them all, I go to the ones I like.

Second, the thing that I find amazing is that people seem to be actually complaining about automated faster check-in. Really? Yes, the folks who check you in are nice and friendly and do their best to get you on board quickly, but I'm not crazy about standing in a long line waiting for the guy in front of me to try to find his passport or to discover that yes, there are forms for every member of your party, or that you've just spent 20 minutes on the wrong line. (Not that I've ever done that! :) ) If I can do all my "paperwork" electronically from home (or from my smart phone/table) and really walk on to the ship 10 minutes after arriving, I'm all for that.

And if you're not comfortable with technology, they said there will still be folks there to do things the "old-fashioned" way.

The big ship vs. smaller ship argument? Think I'll just stay away from that one, but that's why you have choices.

I guess I'm just surprised at the negativity I'm seeing here.