New MAGIC Bands are coming to RCCL

skyking

:p

You know....Woodyren.. I do believe your on to something here.

But I am going to opt for the Superband!

IT has even more options to ensure I have a great holiday.

--The band emits a signal that will bring my ship board account to zero every time I walk past the Purser's desk.

--The band emits a very uncomfortable dog whistle type sound that only seat savers and pool chair hogs can hear.

--Rude people will hear this too... but louder!

-- D+ and above that talk too much and other braggarts and other blow hearts will be silenced within 10 feet of the band wearer.

--Rude and pushy cruisers who rush the elevators will be backed out by a force emitted from the wrist band.

The use of wrist bands is getting more attractive!

I hope these are available when I set sail next October in Indy! That will guarantee us a great vacation

Disney could go to taking pictures of everyone and have the cast members look at your picture on the screen if they wanted to do that instead.

In fact, using a photo instead of the finger scan is exactly what DisneyLAND is doing now. They have employees going through the front gate lines scanning cards and taking pictures with smartphones. When you scan your card at the turnstiles your picture pops up.

Just because they are paranoid doesn't mean there isn't someone out to get them:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine-archive/2011/june/money/credit-card-fraud/rfid-credit-cards/index.htm

I guess you can't believe anything you read on the Internet.

http://www.lowcards.com/credit-cards-rfid-13517

The RFID chip in my work ID card stopped allowing me access to the building because you said it was not possible. Ouch!

It's possible you meant something else entirely?

You and you. In the corner! :) HAHAHAHA

I think you missed what I was responding to. I was being 100% facetious. I've got 2 cards in my wallet and, while I'm at work, 1 around my neck with RFID chips. Passports have them, my car has one in the toll transponder, etc.

The poster was going all conspiracy nut on having the RFID chip in the band and completely ignoring the concept of RFID chips in cards.

It was a lot like the person complaining that the bands are "technology" and they wanted to go back to the days before "technology" and just use the SeaPass... something that is 100% mind-boggling. I'm not sure what part of magnetic strip plastic cards that connect to a computer system isn't technology. It's not like they insisted on metal keys, they want their magnetic strip cards... which aren't technology!!!!

Edited by poncho1973

New magic band? I can't wait to hear this band. I assume they'll be playing in the Music Hall venue? ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That is my idea of a band! Not something I have to wear from my wrist. All this talk of Disney using them at their parks - Royal is not a Disney Theme Park! We lived in Orlando for years, I don't want to feel like I am at Disney when I get on a ship - hence why I won't cruise with Disney!!!!!

Give me my SeaPass. I don't want anything else.

Thanks for the article. It's somewhat reassuring, for now.

I have no desire to wear a permanent bracelet. I find jewelry annoying and only wear my wedding ring full time. I even hate those temporary paper bracelets some places require for entry. There would be no chance I'd continue cruising if I had to wear an electronic bracelet the entire time.

Gina

I think RCCL marketing is not to happy that their new product makes you automatically think of Disney World.That was the first thing that came to my mind when I heard it.

Sent from Cruise Critic App

Edited by link99

I don't agree with much else sept10dsm posted about Walt Disney World, but they certainly could have been correct about someone in FastPass+ return being given a lanyard to track the wait time. While they regularly send them through the standby line to make sure the posted wait time of the attraction is accurate, they will occasionally send a lanyard through the FP+ return line to confirm how long guests are waiting from the first scanner to the ride vehicle. They will typically do this on rides which have a high volume of FP+ return (like Toy Story Midway Mania and Space Mountain), although we've been asked to carry them when doing short FP+ return lines like the Barnstormer.

I do agree with everything else you posted, as it mirrors what I've said in other posts as well.

10,000+ offsite guests at Walt Disney World every day use cards instead of MagicBands to enter the park and return to the FP+ line. Nobody is giving them a hard time.

Nobody is being yelled at to carry lanyards to check wait times. You are politely asked. If you refuse for whatever reason, they just give it to the person behind you.

We just got back from the MK and you are correct about the lanyard for the FP+, as I did see it given out for the new 7 Dwarfs ride. No names were mentioned, there was just a simple request if the guest would take it up and they did. I have never seen it done, and magically it happens.

When I did it two times the other day I felt like I was doing my little part to keep other guests up to speed with wait times. With items like the app, time spent in the park is utilized so much better.

I would not mind this as long as you can take it off when you want. I can't stand anything on my arms or hands, watches, rings, etc., when I sleep. It actually sound like a good idea, easier than keeping up with the card. I wonder if you get to keep them like you do your seapass card? We like to keep our cards.

I would not mind this as long as you can take it off when you want. I can't stand anything on my arms or hands, watches, rings, etc., when I sleep. It actually sound like a good idea, easier than keeping up with the card. I wonder if you get to keep them like you do your seapass card? We like to keep our cards.

Good point. I assumed it would be on and have to stay on. Being able to take it off makes it totally bearable. Snapping it on the wrist would be like using a lanyard. Uh oh. That will cut into lanyard sales. :rolleyes: :)

Gina

Personally, I would like to have both. I would prefer to have the card most of the time as I also don't care to have anything around my wrist. I would wear the wristband those few times I don't have a pocket.

For those of you who are paranoid about being tracked, use the cards and keep them in one of those rfid blocking sleeves for credit cards. They are pretty cheap on Amazon.

Edited by Sunny AZ Girl

They can calculate your average speed at any time. All they need is the distance traveled and the amount of time. Divide it out and you have the miles per hour. All the state would have to do is authorize the troopers to do it and they would make a pot of cash instantly.

They do this in the Netherlands already, have been for years.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Forums mobile app

I will certainly be buying one. The function that most appeals to me is the electric shock it omits to stop me, after having a few too many drinks, trying to step outside for some fresh air...............on my virtual balcony.

If rumours are to be believed some smart IT entrepreneurs have developed some handy aftermarket additions that can be downloaded onto the bands.

*PAS (photographer avoidance system)

*Automatic credit refusal system that can detect and block your wife's band when in the proximity of so called on board sales.

*Virtual Tux. Creates an aura around the body giving the impression that the wearer of the band is attired in formal gear even when they are wearing shorts and bare feet. Only fools cannot see this aura.

*Tipping BS detection. Emits a loud beeping sound when in the presence of a person happily talking about how they always waste hours of their time standing in line to remove their auto grats just so that they can personally tip the same people more in cash.

*Port shopping BS warning. A predictive application that emits loudly the words " because I get commission" at the exact time that the port shopping hostess mentions the reason why passengers should purchase merchandise from the stores in port replacing words such as bargain, value, wont get cheaper anywhere else or the like during the port shopping talk.

lol Wonderful sense of Humor or is it the whole Truth. As told in the National Enquirer. ( Twilight Zone Music Plays)

Edited by Folk Singer

You and you. In the corner! :) HAHAHAHA

I think you missed what I was responding to. I was being 100% facetious. I've got 2 cards in my wallet and, while I'm at work, 1 around my neck with RFID chips. Passports have them, my car has one in the toll transponder, etc.

The poster was going all conspiracy nut on having the RFID chip in the band and completely ignoring the concept of RFID chips in cards.

It was a lot like the person complaining that the bands are "technology" and they wanted to go back to the days before "technology" and just use the SeaPass... something that is 100% mind-boggling. I'm not sure what part of magnetic strip plastic cards that connect to a computer system isn't technology. It's not like they insisted on metal keys, they want their magnetic strip cards... which aren't technology!!!!

I am not willing to head to the corner just yet. Although wasn't sure you were being sarcastic or not, the main point of the article I linked was to show from a reasonably reliable source [and I would put Consumer Reports in that category] that, notwithstanding my tinfoil hat joke in the other thread, there are real concerns about the security/privacy of the information available through RFID chips in cards, fobs, passports, bracelets whatever. Indeed I read the other day that when US Passports started containing RFID chips in 2006 [cue twilight zone music] the State Dept. claimed they were the type of chip that could only be read at 10 cm until some myth busting types demonstrated the information could be skimmed at 10 meters. The feds have tried to remedy this by adding a foil strip in the cover of the passport book, but personally, if your passport was issued 2006 or later, I would invest in one of those screening covers. I don't mind the RFID idea in principal indeed my intial reaction was "finally -- I can quit going back to guest services to replace my de-magged SeaPass"(although I might opt for a card instead of a bracelet). And I don't care if RCI wants to track me. I have willingly let Kroger track my grocery purchases for years in exchange for discounts and cheaper gas. But I like to know who is tracking me. My education has only recently started, but I am not yet convinced about the security of RFID devices.

As an aside, although some people seem to assume that they will, I have not been able to confirm that the alternative SeaPass cards will be RFID cards. Fain at the reveal said something like the alternative is the "traditional" SeaPass card. Now that could have been a sloppy comment without thinking. It wouldn't be the first time Fain has been quoted as saying something that is not quite correct technically [i have seen him quoted as referring to ship size by grt (as opposed to gt) which has been an obsolete reference since around 1980]. But if he is correct, the traditional SeaPass card is a mag strip card, not an RFID card.

[quote name=mjldvlks;43913771

As an aside' date=' although some people seem to assume that they will, I have not been able to confirm that the alternative SeaPass cards will be RFID cards. Fain at the reveal said something like the alternative is the "traditional" SeaPass card. Now that could have been a sloppy comment without thinking. It wouldn't be the first time Fain has been quoted as saying something that is not quite correct technically [i have seen him quoted as referring to ship size by grt (as opposed to gt) which has been an obsolete reference since around 1980]. But if he is correct, the traditional SeaPass card is a mag strip card, not an RFID card.

If you watch the video from RCL closely, you'll notice that the locking mechanism doesn't have a slot for a sea pass card magnetic strip reader. So unless they are going to put 2 separate locking devices on all the doors, it means that sea pass cards will have RFID capability.

If you watch the video from RCL closely, you'll notice that the locking mechanism doesn't have a slot for a sea pass card magnetic strip reader. So unless they are going to put 2 separate locking devices on all the doors, it means that sea pass cards will have RFID capability.

I have not seen the video -- just read the information. That seems to be a logical conclusion. It had already occurred to me that 2 separate point-of-sale systems doesn't make any sense and that the card will most likely be an RFID card rather than a mag strip. Do you have a link to the video?

there are real concerns about the security/privacy of the information available through RFID chips in cards, fobs, passports, bracelets whatever.

I don't wear a tin foil hat, but I am smart enough to have a RFID blocking wallet and passport holder.

There have been questions as to how well the blockers work, as well, but I do what I can and try not to worry about the rest.

I have not seen the video -- just read the information. That seems to be a logical conclusion. It had already occurred to me that 2 separate point-of-sale systems doesn't make any sense and that the card will most likely be an RFID card rather than a mag strip. Do you have a link to the video?

It is available at RoyalCaribbean.com.