New Technology on Quantum......Thoughts?

I was very surprised to see/hear that they are going to be using dedicated satellite link for all RCCL ships to improve WiFi connectivity and bandwidth. I am impressed that Royal Caribbean is making that kind of investment in the network but pleasantly so. Next maybe they could get the website cruise planner with the link to the RCCL app to work reliably. Then THAT would be something to talk about!

Overall though, all snarkiness aside - sounds like they are making some real strides in use of technology. However, I will look forward to hearing from cruisers before we go on touting the technology enhancements - just over 2 months till Quantum launches with all the new techno-gizmos.

It's definitely a move in the right direction. They're really late to the mobile bandwagon, and the technology will be a big improvement. The luggage tracking feature is a great idea. I'm sure they've been using RFID for their food and other inventory for a while, so it's good to see it used on the passenger side of operations.

I just wish they put the same amount of effort into their web site and reservation system. It would also be nice if they stopped with all the silly sales and promotions, and just post the actual price of things on the web site.

Next maybe they could get the website cruise planner with the link to the RCCL app to work reliably. Then THAT would be something to talk about!

I just wish they put the same amount of effort into their web site and reservation system. It would also be nice if they stopped with all the silly sales and promotions, and just post the actual price of things on the web site.

agree on both notes. I think they should fix the web issues and then focus on all the new stuff. But do like some of the new feature. The wrist bands I can do without.

I think the technology upgrades all sound great.

Seems like the one thing people do not thing will be useful are the 40K Windows tablets being dispersed to all crew. What do you folks think?

While I am surpirsed more companies do not utilize tablets and smart devices (i.e., iPods) for things like cahs registers, check-in at hotels, or collecting customer data on land, I do wonder if that technology will be useful at sea.

Looking forward to our virtual balcony when we sail in January 2016. I like that it is a real-time, depiction of the current views outside, and not a giant TV screen.

Here's what I posted to a similar thread on the Quantum board:

Initial thought?

I don't have confidence in Royal Caribbean's IT department being able to get all of these integrated systems up and running smoothly and reliably. It took a reported $1.5 billion for Walt Disney World to deploy their RFID bands with integrated app based reservations, tap to pay, tap for entry, and virtual queuing. And even with all that money spent it had some significant flaws for the first 6 months or so.

I haven't seen anything from Royal Caribbean yet which makes me think they can pull off such a complicated IT project. Shoot, when they can't even fix an ongoing issue with their reservation system which causes cruises to be repriced when you do something simple (like put a special dietary note on your reservation), that doesn't really show me they're ready to take on a much more complex project.

As UCF Knight said, not much faith that the crack team that cant get a website to work is going to successfully integrate it all.

Some of the apps/robots/etc. sound interesting, not sure that I am excited to be able to facebook live or play Xbox live with others around on the world. The whole point of going on the cruise for me is to turn off my phone and stick it in the safe ... if I wanted to be up to the moment on the latest issues in the world and playing video games then I would stay home and do it much cheaper.

Seems like the one thing people do not thing will be useful are the 40K Windows tablets being dispersed to all crew. What do you folks think?

It's a great way for the crew to keep in touch with their family and friends. They spend months at a time aboard, and it's nice that they'll be able to video conference with their loved ones. I'd be surprised if most crew members did not already have tablets/laptops, so the real plus for them is the new high speed Internet connection. I hope it's affordable for them.

I have a feeling that they got the tablets the Microsoft had to dump from their inventory because they weren't selling. http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9240899/Microsoft_writes_off_nearly_1B_to_account_for_Surface_RT_bomb

:)I hate to be 'that guy' but for me this is pretty bad news. The one thing that would get me to stop cruising is if ship had fast Internet at a reasonable price.

I like a lot of things about cruising, but the one thing that trumps all others is the fact that my workaholic wife can NOT work on a ship, even if she wants to. She is forced to relax, and it does her a world of good. Yes, she checks e-mails while in port on her phone, but she doesn't bring her laptop and even if an emergency erupts, she has to delegate.

If there was fast Internet access, she'd take her computer "just in case" or "just to check on things between dinner and the show" and then work for a couple of hours. I know, because that's what she did when we took vacations on land. Finding something she enjoys where she's forced to be cut off from the Internet is a godsend. :)

Edited by Videophile

I like many, couldn't log into the announcment, but did get this email afterwards:

There is a ship that provides blazing fast connectivity at sea to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Vine. A ship that lets its guests download streaming music and videos from the cloud, Netflix, Hulu and more at speeds equal to those on land. A ship that lets you play Xbox Live with other gamers anywhere around the world. A ship where technology is there at every turn to make the guest experience richer than ever before. This isn’t a ship- it's a Smartship. This is Quantum of the Seas SM. This changes everything

Now the title of this thread did say "thoughts" I'm one of the people who go on cruises to disconnect and be away from technology. However, I know everyone can't do that. I have another couple we occasionally cruise with and he owns an internet business he has to check in on, so I am understanding of people who can't do that and I don't waste bandwidth on connectring to Facebook or the other things specifically mentioned in this release.

I would however, take my laptop and join in on a teleconference if I it worked bandwidth wise and I could be in my swim suit sucking down a beer by the pool with occasional interruptions by yelling, "10!" for the belly flop competition, or "Hold on, its my turn on the flowrider."

Ok, that is my thought, no matter how stupid it is!

Edited by BillOh
minor corrections

... if I wanted to be up to the moment on the latest issues in the world and playing video games then I would stay home and do it much cheaper.

This is how I feel. I'm guessing that, of course, these will be paid for features so you don't have to have it if you don't want it... but the thought of everyone on the ship looking down at their phones sort of removes the vacation experience imho.

I like a lot of things about cruising, but the one thing that trumps all others is the fact that my workaholic wife can NOT work on a ship, even if she wants to.

And for someone like me who can be an Internet junkie I want to be able to shut that stuff off. I love the fact that on our cruise last year, I could set my out of office and honestly say I would have NO ACCESS to the VPN or email :)

Edited by AlexanderBeetle

While getting up to speed with the world of technology is lovely, I would rather think that:

A - I'm ON VACATION... I don't want high-speed internet... I don't want to be found!!

B - just like UCF_Knight, fix the website, open the cruise planner calendar with all the bells and whistles and get that all straight FIRST before going on to this "Just like Disney World" wristband, track everything from your Wonder Woman bracelet thingy that will more than likely get more lost than the good old Sea Pass card...

I will say I'm impressed that RCI is giving every crew member a tablet of their own, for both work and personal use.

:)I hate to be 'that guy' but for me this is pretty bad news. The one thing that would get me to stop cruising is if ship had fast Internet at a reasonable price.

I like a lot of things about cruising, but the one thing that trumps all others is the fact that my workaholic wife can NOT work on a ship, even if she wants to. She is forced to relax, and it does her a world of good. Yes, she checks e-mails while in port on her phone, but she doesn't bring her laptop and even if an emergency erupts, she has to delegate.

If there was fast Internet access, she'd take her computer "just in case" or "just to check on things between dinner and the show" and then work for a couple of hours. I know, because that's what she did when we took vacations on land. Finding something she enjoys where she's forced to be cut off from the Internet is a godsend. :)

:)Like:)

For us, the very point of a cruise vacation is to unplug, unwind, and relax. I spend way too many hours per week up to my eyeballs in technology; for me it's work, not fun. I love the fact that my smartphone stays locked in the safe for the entire voyage, and that my tablet and laptop stay home. Xbox and Facebook? Gee, why not just stay home and sit on the sofa, it's not as if you'd even notice you're on a ship?

For us, the very point of a cruise vacation is to unplug, unwind, and relax. I spend way too many hours per week up to my eyeballs in technology; for me it's work, not fun. I love the fact that my smartphone stays locked in the safe for the entire voyage, and that my tablet and laptop stay home. Xbox and Facebook? Gee, why not just stay home and sit on the sofa, it's not as if you'd even notice you're on a ship?

Same here.

I think its amazing! my only concern is for the many elderly people that are not at all tech savvy....how will they find these new features...

I really believe that Royal are a few steps ahead of everyone else with things like the Flow Rider, Rock Climbing, Zip line, Bionic Bar, Central Park, Starbucks at sea, Rip Cord Skydiving, Bumper cars....lets face it they have the coolest stuff...oh and really fast Internet....

The best thing, you can do as much or a little of these things as you want....

People don't get internet now because it's so slow. It would be a cash cow if they speed it up. If you don't want it, don't get it. It's all about the almighty dollar, or in Quantums case the Chinese Yuan.

Aft Cabins Rule

I know of many people that would cruise more if they could do some work while onboard....I think its a great feature and I am sure they will capitalize on it. Today more and more people are hooked to their phones/tabs/pc's, it makes sense for RC to offer this upgraded service.

I understand that sentiment, but the one thing that the Oasis class taught me, I many not be interested in Dream works characters, or the Cupcake class, or any of a number of things, but when those things are on a ship, the things I like are far less crowded.

Now if I can't get a chair by the beach pool because they are all covered with laptops! Then we can talk.

I disagree with other people's comments about wanting a cruise to be 'unplugged'. I think it should come down to personal choice. Why should techies be denied high speed wifi, just because others find it hard to control their use of the internet? Tell your boss you're on holiday and won't be looking at emails... And if you are the boss, then delegate and trust your staff :)

Hope I'm not stating the obvious here, but I think RCL are trying to attract the younger demographic (like me) into cruising. People in their 20s/30s who have more disposable income than families.

I was very anti cruising until I tried it last year with my mum who's a big fan. I've now been on 3 cruises and have a 4th booked! Many of my peers do take the Mickey out of me, but they often want to know what it's like. In the UK, cruising has a reputation of being for those who are waiting for god...obviously that's not true, but cruising is not seen as cool here (yet!). But I know that younger professionals who enjoy good food and nightlife in cities like London, Las Vegas, will enjoy a cruise on RCL, NCL, Celebrity and are missing out on a great holiday.

So, with the launch of Anthem of the seas, RCL recruited Lauren Laverne to champion the music venues (she is a well respected music presenter who fronts BBC's Glastonbury coverage) Jamie Oliver and Jason Bradbury (popular British technology journalist). They are trying to sell cruising to the younger professional crowd using music, food and technology. The high speed wifi is essential to attract the younger crowd, as many people nowadays can't be without FB for more than a few hours. Sad, but true!

My views on the detail of the announcements......

- The robot bar sounds a bit gimmicky, but I have struggled getting a consistent cocktail on a cruise, so maybe the drinks will be better measured. But what if you want extra coke? I would miss the human interaction though.

- The robotic show in 270 sounds brilliant, but it will only be as good as the performers. The adaptable space of 270 sounds very innovative.

- The live virtual balconies are a great concept, but the wasted energy and heat omitted would concern me.

- There's no way I would wear a wristband, unless you can take it off when in port. Otherwise you might as well wear a T-shirt saying "I've just come off a cruise ship, why don't you rip me off?!

Now I'm seriously tempted to book an Anthem of the Seas cruise, as this ship sounds a lotta fun! I might even be able to tempt some friends along with me this time, with all these new technological innovations!

Edited by kfowinst