Are Tuxedos and DJs on the way out ?

Delboy1

I think the tux will basically die on it's own without a formal (pun intended) change in suggested dress for a cruise line. The industry has already reached a point where, for the most part, the lines do not object to whatever you want to wear. Let those that want to dress formally do so. In a way, RCI is moving away from formal nights with their Quantum class and Dynamic Dining. One venue witll be formal every night (from what I understand) and the others will be casual/smart casual.

What I find amusing is those who scoffed at tradition in a thread over Dynamic Dining and a move away from a MDR are some of the same defending the tradition of formal dress. Guess when it comes to tradition it is just a case of what is important to you.

We kinda' like dressing up every once and a while. The only opportunity I get to wear a tux at home is the occasional charity fund raiser gala or an evening wedding or bar/bat mitsvah. On the plus side..... I have a traditional shawl collar tux, I've had it for about 25 yrs, it still fits and it is and probably always will be in style. No need to replace an out of style suit for the past 25 yrs. I consider that a good investment. As for DJ/s.....I've noticed a LOT of baby boomers in the disco when it's 50's/60's night and all of the songs we grew up with are played in their original format. They may be around longer then the tuxes!

Edited by marco

Proper djs yes as these just. Play it and not mix

Tuxedos don't think so they will just develop to certain cruises or cruise ship areas I think

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just my opinion: I don't go on a cruise for formal wear. My vote would be to do away with it.:)

The biggest problem I see is when a cruise line publishes a dress code and doesn't enforce it, this leads to many discussions, arguments, and snide remarks about what others are wearing.

This is unnecessary !!

YOu don't see this on NCL because they took the steps to publish what they want guests to wear, and those who wish to dress to the nines are treated the same as those who don't.

The biggest problem I see is when a cruise line publishes a dress code and doesn't enforce it, this leads to many discussions, arguments, and snide remarks about what others are wearing.

This is unnecessary !!

YOu don't see this on NCL because they took the steps to publish what they want guests to wear, and those who wish to dress to the nines are treated the same as those who don't.

I agree with you that the cruise lines are their own worst enemy when published policies differ from actual or enforced policy. Princess has a set policy of "tuxedo, dark suit, or dinner jacket and slacks for men." In reality, you hardly see anyone in tuxedos or dinner jackets. You do see dark suits, light suits, sport jackets, shirts with ties and without ties, dress pants, khakis, etc.

There are some people on Cruise Critic who get offended with how others dress, but those complaints are few and far in between as passengers have really dictated to cruise lines what their informal policies really are. Cruise lines are afraid to enforce the archaic formal policies like the one Princess has. It would be bad business for a head waiter or maitre d to refuse entrance to a restaurant just because someone was wearing a light suit or even a sports jacket. The complaints and bickering Cruise Critic isn't as bad as it once was as nobody should have the rightful expectation that fellow mail cruisers will be wearing tuxedos, dark suits, or dinner jackets and slacks on formal nights.

Here is what I have learned from reading I don't know how many of these threads. On Cruise Critic, there are many people who believe in tradition and will dress properly for formal nights. On the ship, there are many more people who have never heard of Cruise Critic and who dress properly for formal nights.

There are also a number of people on Cruise Critic, who for numerous reasons, will never accept formal nights. They will tell you Tuxedos are a thing of the past and anything to justify their desire no to have to dress for formal nights.

They are who they are and no amount of discussion on this topic will change their minds.

Finally, there are a number of people on ships who don't really know what "formal" means, thus, they dress in a dressy shirt and slacks and put on a tie-and for them, that is about as formal as they understand.

As for tuxedos, just watch the Emmys and other award shows to see how "casual" they are (not!).

And that's the way it is...

Here is what I have learned from reading I don't know how many of these threads. On Cruise Critic, there are many people who believe in tradition and will dress properly for formal nights. On the ship, there are many more people who have never heard of Cruise Critic and who dress properly for formal nights.

There are also a number of people on Cruise Critic, who for numerous reasons, will never accept formal nights. They will tell you Tuxedos are a thing of the past and anything to justify their desire no to have to dress for formal nights.

They are who they are and no amount of discussion on this topic will change their minds.

Finally, there are a number of people on ships who don't really know what "formal" means, thus, they dress in a dressy shirt and slacks and put on a tie-and for them, that is about as formal as they understand.

As for tuxedos, just watch the Emmys and other award shows to see how "casual" they are (not!).

And that's the way it is...

There are people who are employed by the cruise lines who determine what is acceptable on the ships. THEY AND ONLY THEY ARE THE DETERMINING FACTOR ON WHAT IS ACCEPTABLE ATTIRE IN THE MDR.

You are attempting to disparage those who dress according to the standards determined by the cruise line employees.

If you see them in the MDR, they are dressed properly !!!

AND THAT'S THE WAY IT IS !!

Edited by swedish weave

[quote name=AKman2495;43904675

There are also a number of people on Cruise Critic' date=' who for numerous reasons, will never accept formal nights. They will tell you Tuxedos are a thing of the past and anything to justify their desire no to have to dress for formal nights.

[/quote]

It's not just cruise critic. Only a small percentage of people on any given cruise are actually cruise critic users. It's the overall cruise population that keeps moving further and further away from wanting to dress up as if that dinner were the Emmy's, a fund raising dinner, or evening weddings and bar mitzvahs. Other factors like airline baggage restrictions have only increased the momentum.

It's now people who actually wear tuxedos that stick out as being overdressed for the "event". You are now officially a relic of the past. If it's a way to get some significant action from your significant other, then bless you and good luck. I suppose a good strong drink might do just as good though. ;)

Hubofhockey - couldn't agree with you more. I got rid of my dinner suit some 20 years ago, best thing I ever did.

When you look at the some of latest fashion in suits, it makes dinner suits look silly.

I always take black suit trousers, smart casual shirts with a nice pattern or design, and I have never been turned away on formal nights in main dining room. I think the staff are happy to get tips rather than put someone off by turning them away from MDR because they weren't wearing a dinner suit or tuxedo.

It's not just cruise critic. Only a small percentage of people on any given cruise are actually cruise critic users. It's the overall cruise population that keeps moving further and further away from wanting to dress up as if that dinner were the Emmy's, a fund raising dinner, or evening weddings and bar mitzvahs. Other factors like airline baggage restrictions have only increased the momentum.

It's now people who actually wear tuxedos that stick out as being overdressed for the "event". You are now officially a relic of the past. If it's a way to get some significant action from your significant other, then bless you and good luck. I suppose a good strong drink might do just as good though. ;)

Hubofhockey - couldn't agree with you more. I got rid of my dinner suit some 20 years ago, best thing I ever did.

When you look at the some of latest fashion in suits, it makes dinner suits look silly.

I always take black suit trousers, smart casual shirts with a nice pattern or design, and I have never been turned away on formal nights in main dining room. I think the staff are happy to get tips rather than put someone off by turning them away from MDR because they weren't wearing a dinner suit or tuxedo.

Well good for both of you!

There are people who are employed by the cruise lines who determine what is acceptable on the ships. THEY AND ONLY THEY ARE THE DETERMINING FACTOR ON WHAT IS ACCEPTABLE ATTIRE IN THE MDR.

You are attempting to disparage those who dress according to the standards determined by the cruise line employees.

If you see them in the MDR, they are dressed properly !!!

AND THAT'S THE WAY IT IS !!

Spoken like one who will never accept formal night dress codes! Oh and I am not disparaging anybody....I am just telling it like it is.

So far, I have been called "silly" (because my tuxedo is apparently "silly" and "a relic of the past".

If I am a relic...at least I am a well dressed relic!!!

You may not be disparaging anyone, but your "that's the way it is" tag line is a bit over the top and not dealing in reality. If you are happy in that white tux, you shouldn't care if people believe you to be goofy. I am actually amused by those who feel that those of us in sports jackets and khakis cheapen their formal night experience and that's the sense I get by your "that's the way it is" responses.

Too bad so many folks are smart enough to realize the ONLY reason there are formal nights on mainstream cruise lines is so that the concessionaire photography company has income. No other reason. Ever. Whom ever owns the photography concession needs to make x$ per cruise. You can be darn sure the contract makes the cruise line give photo ops in order to generate revenue.

For those who think formal nights are something special, gave a look around on formal night. Photo areas set up all over.

Same crap MDR food as any other night. Tacky, dirty chair covers.

Am I against dressing up? Nope. I own formal wear, hubby owns two tuxes. We dress up for charity events if required. I wear dresses and heels every day. Hubby own many very expensive suits. Even luggage isn't an issue for us. Hubby is AC Elite whatever, and we are allowed 3 checked bags per person.

It struck me on our very first cruise many years ago what the real deal is about formal nights.

Spoken like one who will never accept formal night dress codes! Oh and I am not disparaging anybody....I am just telling it like it is.

So far, I have been called "silly" (because my tuxedo is apparently "silly" and "a relic of the past".

If I am a relic...at least I am a well dressed relic!!!

And you speak like one who will never accept the relaxed dress code standards that are in actual practice on most of the mainstream cruise lines.

See, I was raised this way. You dress the way you think is the right way for the occasion. And you should feel happy with the effort you made within the means you have.

But the rudest thing of all is to make someone else feel bad. Dressing badly is not even on the radar of bad manners when it comes to making someone else feel uncomfortable or unwelcome. That's unforgivable.

As Eleanor Roosevelt said, "The only person who can make you feel inferior is you."

Wear whatever you choose to wear at a table I share with you on a cruise on formal night. If you wear your tux, that's lovely. But more important, if you can be a genuinely interesting and pleasant dinner companion, that will be worth more to me than all the gold in your cufflinks.

Having sailed on Seabourn Odyssey this July and reading Members Reviews on other luxury ships the wearing of evening dress on Formal Nights has become less formal with less than half the men complying . Already Seabourn dress code is optional. So should we either do away with formal nights or have it as an option on World or Transatlantic cruises ?

I always wear a tux, nothing wrong with looking sharp.

See, I was raised this way. You dress the way you think is the right way for the occasion. And you should feel happy with the effort you made within the means you have.

But the rudest thing of all is to make someone else feel bad. Dressing badly is not even on the radar of bad manners when it comes to making someone else feel uncomfortable or unwelcome. That's unforgivable.

As Eleanor Roosevelt said, "The only person who can make you feel inferior is you."

Wear whatever you choose to wear at a table I share with you on a cruise on formal night. If you wear your tux, that's lovely. But more important, if you can be a genuinely interesting and pleasant dinner companion, that will be worth more to me than all the gold in your cufflinks.

I totally agree. Although I have my opinions , as you've seen, when it comes to actually participating in formal nights, I go about my business. I am not rude nor do I slight those who refuse to accept the spirit of formal nights.

As you say, the only time I saw anyone uncomfortable on a formal night it was do to his own feelings of being underdressed. None of the people at the table did anything to make him uncomfortable.

Besides, arguing about formal nights gives me something to do between cruises...;)

Thank You For Your Comment! After reading all that back and forth sniping, whining and bitching, I was going to say similar words!

A) I DO wear a rented tux on formal nights. Rented because I am NOT dragging mine around. I just bring my own shirts and accessories. My wife brings one or two very formal dresses. In fact we just purchased a new one for an upcoming cruise.

B) Formal night is like any other ship scheduled activity or event(s). Some cruisers go all out and some don't participate. On formal nights we get both looks of admiration and looks of disgust. Bottom line she and I enjoy our evening. In fact we get the same looks when we go in the "Pub Crawl".

Acceptance People!!!! We need a little more of acceptance and less judgmental and just have fun on your vacation!!