Explorer propulsion problem....

Captain informed them that the two other ships that were scheduled for Bermuda diverted to other ports. (Guessing he was referring to the Summit and Breakaway)

Do you know where the ships diverted to? Did they go on a New England cruise?

Just was on the explorer 8/14-23 and took the all access tour on 8/22. While in the engine control room the engineer said that the shaft on the fixipod (the middle fixed engine) is bent and causes vibrations. He told us that the divers would come in when we docked on Sat to break the epoxy of the bolts that hold the blade and then proceed to take the blades off to stop the vibration. If they couldn't get them off they would take them off in Bermuda. This means that that engine will be out of service until the dry-dock early next year when the fixipod is replaced. So on all cruises going forward they would only have the two pods and that some itineraries would have to be changed going forward because the ship could not make any high speed runs. During our cruise we docked almost an hour late (2pm instead of 1pm) into St. Maarten due to this and we were only supposed to be their until 7 as it was.

Did the engineer tell you how and when the shaft got bent? A prop had to hit something in order for the shaft to be bent.

I was on the last (8/14) EOS sailing too and the vibration was obvious in certain parts of the ship. Combined with the toilet and Code Delta issues, it was an interesting cruise but most people were totally oblivious to what was going on, much to the credit of RCCL. I love Explorer, but she is ready for a facelift and tuneup. I am sure she will be better than new coming out of dry dock.

Did the engineer tell you how and when the shaft got bent? A prop had to hit something in order for the shaft to be bent.

He did not I asked if it was a manufacturing defect because he said it was 20inches are more in diameter and I found it hard to believe when just normal usage you could bend the shaft. Another person on the tour asked if they hit something so not really sure how it was damaged.

It will not be fixed until they go to dry dock in early 2015. I thought when we were going from Bermuda to St. Martaan they were going 20-21 knots and I believe he said they wont be able to go over 18 with only the two engines.

Edited by lrm1964

He did not I asked if it was a manufacturing defect because he said it was 20inches are more in diameter and I found it hard to believe when just normal usage you could bend the shaft. Another person on the tour asked if they hit something so not really sure how it was damaged.

It will not be fixed until they go to dry dock in early 2015. I thought when we were going from Bermuda to St. Martaan they were going 20-21 knots and I believe he said they wont be able to go over 18 with only the two engines.

The reason I asked is because DH bent the shaft on a boat we previuosly had because the prop hit something, we felt the vibration. This is exactly what probably happened to Explorer.

I figured it has to reduce it's speed until it gets fixed. We're on two sailings before she leaves Bayonne, future sailings should be interesting.

Thank you for your response.

Just was on the explorer 8/14-23 and took the all access tour on 8/22. While in the engine control room the engineer said that the shaft on the fixipod (the middle fixed engine) is bent and causes vibrations. He told us that the divers would come in when we docked on Sat to break the epoxy of the bolts that hold the blade and then proceed to take the blades off to stop the vibration. If they couldn't get them off they would take them off in Bermuda. This means that that engine will be out of service until the dry-dock early next year when the fixipod is replaced. So on all cruises going forward they would only have the two pods and that some itineraries would have to be changed going forward because the ship could not make any high speed runs. During our cruise we docked almost an hour late (2pm instead of 1pm) into St. Maarten due to this and we were only supposed to be their until 7 as it was.

Thanks for the info.

I've got some really tight excursions planned for an upcoming Explorer 9 night. Did you make the rest of the ports on time?

St. Maarten is scheduled for 1:00 - 8:00 on the Explorer 9 night. Did you still leave at 8:00 with the late arrival?

Any updates re: port timing from cruisers on the next few 9 day sailings will be appreciated.

Thanks,

IC

Thanks for the info.

I've got some really tight excursions planned for an upcoming Explorer 9 night. Did you make the rest of the ports on time?

St. Maarten is scheduled for 1:00 - 8:00 on the Explorer 9 night. Did you still leave at 8:00 with the late arrival?

Any updates re: port timing from cruisers on the next few 9 day sailings will be appreciated.

Thanks,

IC

I was referring to the 9 night Bermuda itinerary, I see that they don't start up again until Sep 25th.

I can't imagine where the ships would go as an alternative to Bermuda. They only have a short amount of days. And they have to visit a foreign port because of the Jones Act.

The Canada/New England cruises have a fairly short distance between ports, so shouldn't be that much of a problem getting from one port to the next on time. When they get to Canada, they may have to shorten the stays a little. I don't see that itinerary as that much of a problem.

I'll try to come back and update you when we leave on the Explorer tomorrow.

Gwen :)

I can't imagine where the ships would go as an alternative to Bermuda. They only have a short amount of days. And they have to visit a foreign port because of the Jones Act.

The Canada/New England cruises have a fairly short distance between ports, so shouldn't be that much of a problem getting from one port to the next on time. When they get to Canada, they may have to shorten the stays a little. I don't see that itinerary as that much of a problem.

I'll try to come back and update you when we leave on the Explorer tomorrow.

Gwen :)

I read that the Breakaway was doing the Florida/Bahamas itinerary.

Thanks for the confirmation.

I just find it hard to believe they are running Explorer no passengers across the Atlantic.

I'm guessing that they are starting the revitalization work on the transatlantic.

My daughter just called. She is going to Captains Corner in a little while. I told her it should be an interesting one if the annoyed passengers attend! LOL

Asked her to video tape if there is anyone carrying on!

She also said they weren't moving at the moment. Captain told them yesterday that the azipod was fixed and at some point they would stop so they could do readings on it. So I guess that's why they're currently stopped. I am sure that I will hear from her again - will keep you posted.

And she is having a great time! Despite the people yelling at guest services that they will never sail Royal again! As they say..........some people make lemonade from lemons and some just people just are sour lemons!!!:D

Yes, the Port Canaveral web cam shows both the Summit and Breakaway in port.

So, just because I want to be sure I am understanding this correctly... we actually have 2 issues at the same time? Forgive me if I sound silly, but I was trying to keep track of which problem was causing which issue.

Hurricane coming through by route of Bermuda (causing NCL ships to divert to Florida/Bahamas route and unknown what RCCL ship scheduled for Bermuda will do at this point). Then there is a separate issue of the bent shaft/propeller on Explorer, causing her to have to change port times in Bermuda (and other ports) because she can't move more than 18 knots (instead of the usual 20-21 knots that she needs to get from point A to point B).

If I am wrong - can someone just put me back on the right path?

I am on Explorer 5-night Bermuda itinerary in the beginning of October. If what I am reading is correct, then we may have to plan on a shortened stay in Bermuda due to the speed issues and getting back to Bayonne on time for the next cruise after us. Not a big deal to me because I will be cruising and not here at work for those days - so they can cruise me to the moon if they can figure out how to get me there (and back). :D

So, just because I want to be sure I am understanding this correctly... we actually have 2 issues at the same time? Forgive me if I sound silly, but I was trying to keep track of which problem was causing which issue.

Hurricane coming through by route of Bermuda (causing NCL ships to divert to Florida/Bahamas route and unknown what RCCL ship scheduled for Bermuda will do at this point). Then there is a separate issue of the bent shaft/propeller on Explorer, causing her to have to change port times in Bermuda (and other ports) because she can't move more than 18 knots (instead of the usual 20-21 knots that she needs to get from point A to point B).

If I am wrong - can someone just put me back on the right path?

I am on Explorer 5-night Bermuda itinerary in the beginning of October. If what I am reading is correct, then we may have to plan on a shortened stay in Bermuda due to the speed issues and getting back to Bayonne on time for the next cruise after us. Not a big deal to me because I will be cruising and not here at work for those days - so they can cruise me to the moon if they can figure out how to get me there (and back). :D

Yes 2 issues. They arrived into Bermuda later than scheduled due to the propulsion issue. They left Bermuda early (as did the NCL Gem) due to the impending hurricane. The Summit and Breakaway did not sail to Bermuda as scheduled for the same reason. (the threat of a hurricane)

Edited by trvlmil

There is not enough information to be so upset regarding missed ports, late port of call or cancel a cruise.

They departed Bermuda because of the weather lets wait for some official announcement on any problems before we become nervous wreaks.

This is a cruise critic board most things get over stated.

Will be interesting to see how things are going when I "hopefully" get to board

tomorrow. And with me...the glass is half full. It is what it is, and we will enjoy

our time on EX no matter what happens. I like lemonade!! :D

Edited by island lady

Yes 2 issues. They arrived into Bermuda later than scheduled due to the propulsion issue. They left Bermuda early (as did the NCL Gem) due to the impending hurricane. The Summit and Breakaway did not sail to Bermuda as scheduled for the same reason. (the threat of a hurricane)

Thank you very much TRVLMIL. I appreciate your response. This is what I thought but I just wanted to be sure that I was reading through the thread correctly.

Glass is ALWAYS half-full when you are cruising, IslandLady :)

Thank you very much TRVLMIL. I appreciate your response. This is what I thought but I just wanted to be sure that I was reading through the thread correctly.

Glass is ALWAYS half-full when you are cruising, IslandLady :)

Awww...thanks! ;)

Life is too short to walk around being grouchy! :p