A politically incorrect question

foto451

People share a cabin with those of the opposite sex to whom they are not married all of the time. Nobody thinks anything about it or cares. :)

LuLu

People of the same sex often share a cabin, and I don't care about that either.:)

Hello all.

Now, I am not American (not even Canadian:D)

I am European, Danish in fact.

So this is being asked as if I was an anthropologist, no insult is intended, etc.

Can I, being a man, book a stateroom with a woman I am not married to - and have no intention to marry? I know that many are being married onboard so they may get a dispensation.

We are just traveling as friends but it would be much cheaper if we slept in the same stateroom.

Would the cruise company object?

Probably not, just want to be certain before I book.

Klaus.

Of course you can. And no, the cruise company could not care less. You are both adults and the cruise company is the the morality police. Just don't run for political office here in the US after the cruise and you will be fine.

Edited by Cuizer2

Fortunately it is a "no longer" issue but it wasn't within the lifetimes of a lot of cruisers, much as anti-miscegenation laws which are still on the legal statutes of some U.S. states.

Actually there are no longer any miscegenation laws that are valid.

In 1967, the United States Supreme Court unanimously ruled in Loving v. Virginia that anti-miscegenation laws are unconstitutional. With this ruling, these laws were no longer in effect in the remaining 16 states that at the time still enforced them.

Fortunately it is a "no longer" issue but it wasn't within the lifetimes of a lot of cruisers, much as anti-miscegenation laws which are still on the legal statutes of some U.S. states.

Actually, anti-fornication statutes are still on the books in about a dozen states. In February of this year a bill to revoke Virginia's anti- fornication statue was defeated in the legislature. I'm not aware of any recent prosecutions under such statutes, but they remain - and for that reason inns and hotels in such states are legally allowed to refuse to provide rooms to unmarried twosomes.

So, in some cases, it remains an issue - at least potentially.

Actually there are no longer any miscegenation laws that are valid.

In 1967, the United States Supreme Court unanimously ruled in Loving v. Virginia that anti-miscegenation laws are unconstitutional. With this ruling, these laws were no longer in effect in the remaining 16 states that at the time still enforced them.

As navybankteacher says, they haven't been enforceable for 47 years now but they still exist as state laws.

As navybankteacher says, they haven't been enforceable for 47 years now but they still exist as state laws.

I don't know which states may still have these as laws, but they are totally unenforceable because of the SCOTUS decision.

I don't know which states may still have these as laws, but they are totally unenforceable because of the SCOTUS decision.

The mere fact that they've been kept on the statute books after 47 years speaks volumes.....

Apparently no state still has the clause in its constitution but over 1/2 million Alabamans voted to retain the clause in its constitution in the 2000 referendum to remove it. Pretty impressive for a state of less than 5 million.

Edited by cruising cockroach

Are you saying the laws are illegal in just those three states - implying that such laws would be legal elsewhere?

No, anti-fornication or cohabitation laws are illegal in just those states, fornication or cohabitation is legal everywhere else.

In 1936 my parents built the first "Tourist Court" on the south side of Atlanta, Ga. They wanted to attract "family" business only with no "monkey business" allowed. There was a large sign painted on the office that read, "Tourists Only". I've never seen a ship with that painted on it. Have fun.

The U.S. Supreme Court has invalidated state laws penalizing sexual behavior between two consenting adults ...

Here is a link to the full article ...

http://hamptonroads.com/2014/02/effo...tion-law-fails

Here is another one ...

And yet, in Massachusetts, Virginia, Georgia, Idaho, Mississippi, North Carolina, Utah and South Carolina, it’s still against the written law for unmarried men and women to engage in sexual intercourse. Judges have ruled against the Virginia and Georgia laws, and since 2003’s Lawrence v. Texas Supreme Court ruling, which “effectively decree[d] the end of all morals legislation,” these statutes would not stand up in any court today.

And here is a link to that article ...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_4937387.html

Here is an interesting (if unrelated) law ...

By law in Carmel, Calif., any woman who wishes to traipse through the streets rocking shoes over two inches high with less than one square inch of heel surface area must pick up a permit from City Hall. Oddly specific, you say? It’s really just a liability issue.

The permits, which are free, relieve Carmel “from any and all liability for damages to her/himself or to others caused by her/his falling upon the public streets or sidewalks of the City while wearing such shoes.” Because you're all living dangerously, ladies.

It is from the same article listed above.

Here is a link to the full article ...

http://hamptonroads.com/2014/02/effo...tion-law-fails

Here is another one ...

And here is a link to that article ...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_4937387.html

Here is an interesting (if unrelated) law ...

It is from the same article listed above.

The Virginia Supreme Court ruled that, given the precedent of Lawrence, the state's criminal ban on fornication could not survive. Thus, in Martin v. Ziherl, the Virginia court invalidated the law, which, although it dated back nearly 200 years, had not been enforced criminally against a consenting adult since the middle of the 19th century.

Hello all.

So this is being asked as if I was an anthropologist, no insult is intended, etc.

I think an anthropologist would be more interested in the number of folks who feel the need to repeat what the first responder said, "yes", you can.

Burt