Vancouver to Orlando Via Seattle

pklein9747

Our May 2015 cruise ends in Vancouver and the flights to Orlando stop in Seattle. Will we need to go through customs in Seattle when we change planes? Trying to build in enough time between flights. Thanks!
No, you clear US immigration and customs at Vancouver airport, so the Seattle connection is treated as a domestic one.

No, you clear US immigration and customs at Vancouver airport, so the Seattle connection is treated as a domestic one.

Hey G, I'm not sure this is correct. I fly up and down the coast often as I have family in BC. This is our procedure:

1. Board plane in Vancouver, with NO CUSTOMS.

2. Arrive in Seattle, go through customs.

3. We are required to pick up our bags (physically) and put them on the transfer belt.

4. Go through security in SEA.

I've done this probably about 10 times in the last 4 or 5 years, and its always the same procedure. I usually fly Alaska / Horizon so maybe its different on other airlines, but that's the process I go through.

Hey G, I'm not sure this is correct. I fly up and down the coast often as I have family in BC. This is our procedure:

1. Board plane in Vancouver, with NO CUSTOMS.

2. Arrive in Seattle, go through customs.

3. We are required to pick up our bags (physically) and put them on the transfer belt.

4. Go through security in SEA.

I've done this probably about 10 times in the last 4 or 5 years, and its always the same procedure. I usually fly Alaska / Horizon so maybe its different on other airlines, but that's the process I go through.

Are yu perhaps flying from Victoria (YYJ) or Kelowna (YLW)?

1. Board plane in Vancouver, with NO CUSTOMS....

Hi Marc,

Sorry but the info you have stated here is indeed not correct. I live in Vancouver and have flown out of YVR many times. There are separate check-in areas for Domestic, U.S., and International flights. When flying to the U.S., you do indeed pre-clear in Vancouver. It is extremely convenient because, as stated, the flight is then treated as "domestic".

I'm more than a little confused at your comments, I have to say. :confused: :) Were your flights were at times outside of the operating hours for US CBP?

Here is a link for more information.

http://www.yvr.ca/en/navigating-YVR/customs-immigration/us-customs-border-protection.aspx <---click here

Our May 2015 cruise ends in Vancouver and the flights to Orlando stop in Seattle. Will we need to go through customs in Seattle when we change planes? Trying to build in enough time between flights. Thanks!

Virtually all flights leaving YVR for the United States have USCBP pre-clearance and arrive in the USA as if they were domestic. You can double check by looking at the YVR website and if your flight leaves from an E gate it's a pre-clearance flights. The only two exceptions I can think of are the Cathay YVR-JFK (which is a continuation from HKG) and the late departure to ORD.

This means you'll arrive in SEA as if you were a domestic arrival. Again, you can check the SEA website, all flights requiring CBP clearance arrive in the south satellite. If your flight arrives into C (likely the C2 or C4 gate from YVR) or into N, it's got pre-clearance.

• 2 weeks later...