Pride and joy

morecambe13

I'm sure it will all be done on when you book, those who book select fares in advance will probably get first bite at the cherry, followed by early savers and then saver fares, would possibly encourage more people to book early...they will have set numbers for check in times and once all the slots have gone you would no doubt have to choose a different time..at least that's how I think it will be done...time will tell!

Just another opportunity to generate a public relations disaster. Obvously everyone will want the earliest time in case they have delays etc etc.

What are they going to do if you miss your slot? Leave the check -in desk empty?

I book a select fare and get a 11.30 check in time

someone else books a saver fare and gets a 3.30 checkin time. they then arrive at the terminal early and sit around for hours

Daft!

Maybe the odd person missing a slot will not be too difficult to slot in. With everyone trying to board asap, maybe they are just trying to spread it out more.

Similar to an airport if you choose to get there 5 hours prior to departure,in case of delays, you would have to hang around in the cruise terminal.

People do not complain they cannot get on a plane straight away....

If you book a Select 12 months in advance who is to know then for definite what time they want to check in and circumstances might change. I can see another P&O cock up and public relations disaster on the horizon.

I notice it is just a trial which if successful will be rolled out to all ships. I suppose it is P&O's way of trying to introduce enforced boarding times like other cruise lines have introduced.

I think this is the only 'new' thing in pride and joy, apart from such stuff as changing cruise directors into entertainment managers.

I notice it is just a trial which if successful will be rolled out to all ships. I suppose it is P&O's way of trying to introduce enforced boarding times like other cruise lines have introduced.

I think this is the only 'new' thing in pride and joy, apart from such stuff as changing cruise directors into entertainment managers.

In the case of Princess they have introduced them but are not enforced.

A trial on P&O? Are you sure? Apparently they don't exist.

What happens to people who travel by coach ? I can see problems with these people because they already cannot stick to their advised times. Yes, I know that they have a fairly reasonable idea of the time that the coach will arrive at Southampton but for those who have never traveled that way before my be surprised. I know that we were surprised by how much longer the journey was when we took the coach rather than the car.

Don't like this at all. As I always travel down the day before, I always turn up by 12 noon and have never had any problems even though I always seem to be given 3.30pm as a boarding time.

The day I am refused boarding when I turn up will be the last time I ever sail with P &O. hopefully they will allocate times but not enforce them.

Don't like this at all. As I always travel down the day before, I always turn up by 12 noon and have never had any problems even though I always seem to be given 3.30pm as a boarding time.

The day I am refused boarding when I turn up will be the last time I ever sail with P &O. hopefully they will allocate times but not enforce them.

Same here.

Are we not making too much of this?

Its an effort to try and spread passengers boarding. Some will adhere to it and others won't. I doubt they will turn anyone away but it is still likely to spread the check in so will work up to a point.

It seems a shame to be instantly negative

Are we not making too much of this?

Its an effort to try and spread passengers boarding. Some will adhere to it and others won't. I doubt they will turn anyone away but it is still likely to spread the check in so will work up to a point.

It seems a shame to be instantly negative

I am being negative about the way they are doing it. Introducing something that might irritate passengers and dressing it up as an 'improvement'.

someone suggested you get to choose your embarkation time if you buy select. Ok, what happens when 60% of the ship have bought select and they all want a 12 noon embarkation - a lot of unhappy customers!

Maybe you will be given the option of a boarding time when you book. Those who book early will be given their choice and the later bookers will have a choice of what's left. Last minute bookers will most likely get the later boarding times.

Those travelling by coach would still be boarded when they arrive as they are now.

I am being negative about the way they are doing it. Introducing something that might irritate passengers and dressing it up as an 'improvement'.

someone suggested you get to choose your embarkation time if you buy select. Ok, what happens when 60% of the ship have bought select and they all want a 12 noon embarkation - a lot of unhappy customers!

Not everyone will want a noon check in..and I suspect it will all be down to when you book as well as what fare you book, maybe also what level you are in peninsular club...it will probably be on your cruise personaliser with different time slots and you pick the one you want..,once all those slots have gone you have to pick another slot, it's bound to be used as an incentive to book early,because that's what p&o want...I wonder if Cunard will follow suit?

We book an assortment of select, early saver and saver fares...and always arrive early at the port, if we were unable to do that it wouldn't be a problem..people have to learn to adapt....the port authority have requested that check in times are adhered to once the big ships start docking at Southampton, it's not the cruise lines who are demanding this.

We are all must guessing at how it will be trialled...as it's September tomorrow and they intend trialling this in 2014 they don't have long to announce which cruises it will be tested out on...wonder if our Oriana one in November will be picked!

Maybe you will be given the option of a boarding time when you book. Those who book early will be given their choice and the later bookers will have a choice of what's left. Last minute bookers will most likely get the later boarding times.

Those travelling by coach would still be boarded when they arrive as they are now.

The problem is this is not an incentive. They are not offering something you don't have already. Yet another stick to beat saver buyers with is just not good marketing as they might well decide to try another cruise line. If they want more people to buy select they have to lay down lots of cash!

Is there a problem with boarding anyway? I always turn up before 11.30 and am aboard by about noon.

Works OK with Fred O who always do it. Difference is there is no lunch the first day. Bags are in cabins by 1430 and that's when you get on board. Simples.

It works OK with Fred because they have a lot less people to process. If they had to start boarding before noon they would have to offer lunch.

OK, Balmoral has nearly 1800 passengers, do they start check-in before 2.30 and you have to wait in the terminal?

Surely they are making hard work for themselves with this idea - and although I don't want to sound negative it's a potential Customer Service nightmare.

The basic rule of customer service is expectations. At the moment people get there when they get there and if they have to queue for a few hours they just get on with it, maybe grumble to themselves but that's it. However, if they are saying you can board between 12noon and 1pm people will start making complaints if they get there at 11.30am for their "slot" but don't get on board until 2pm. This is why big organisations generally book appointments for lengthy time slots - AM, PM etc - because they give the appearance of meeting the customers needs without putting pressure on themselves and their Key Performance Indicators.

The other factor is those that book a late slot thinking they won't be arriving until late, but then their circumstances change (or transport arrangements change) and they end up with a planned early arrival, but that it's too late to change their slot. This is especially risky for people travelling by plane where times aren't available a year in advance.