Passenger medevaced from the Fantasy last night

SRQfireman

Interesting that the first comment was about the taxpayer. If you had been there you'd be thinking about the passenger first. We all were. 479bf3998d7919a2421b1f7f6e556566.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was on a cruise in Mexico and we had an evacuation by the Coast Guard, not by helicopter but by boat. We spoke with a family member who was worried about the expense involved since they didn't carry trip insurance. The patient had a heart attack. I didn't mean it the way you think. I'm happy that my tax dollars go for someone really in need. The next time it happens, I can tell the family member that the taxpayer picks up the tab.

I was on a cruise in Mexico and we had an evacuation by the Coast Guard, not by helicopter but by boat. We spoke with a family member who was worried about the expense involved since they didn't carry trip insurance. The patient had a heart attack. I didn't mean it the way you think. I'm happy that my tax dollars go for someone really in need. The next time it happens, I can tell the family member that the taxpayer picks up the tab.

the expense comes when they have to medevac them back to the us. that is why you need insurance.:)

the expense comes when they have to medevac them back to the us. that is why you need insurance.:)

Very good point, Coast Guard will fly you to the nearest hospital, US soil or not, you still have to pay the bills there (most US insurance doesn't cover international), and get home on your own. Insurance for half a million in medical is only like 30 bucks a person from a second source. way worth it.

Understood. It really was pretty alarming. I guess the pax had internal bleeding. They clearly took two people up and the CD said "passengers" (plural) had been transferred, so we were wondering if two were injured/ill or if it was a family member too. This pic does not do it justice- my son has better ones on his camera. The helicopter was so close to the funnel I was sure it was going to hit.

Interest9ing that the patient doesn't have to pay for the evacuation nor the cruiseline, the taxpayer pays for it. I hope she survives.

I don't think a private rescue helicopter would be allowed to do that. After the USCG's part is over the "free ride" ends

the USCG does not charge for its services (in this case the medevac flight to a hospital). Once at a hospital, then it is on the patient/patient's family to pay for onward flight/transport. Hence, purchase travel insurance *IF* it fits your situation.

The reason the USCG does not charge for its services is that they do not want people in other future situations to NOT contact them because they are scared of a potentially high bill.

Interest9ing that the patient doesn't have to pay for the evacuation nor the cruiseline, the taxpayer pays for it. I hope she survives.

WOW! We are going to pay taxes regardless! If Coast Guard never medevacs another, taxes not going to change or go down. Geez!

WOW! We are going to pay taxes regardless! If Coast Guard never medevacs another, taxes not going to change or go down. Geez!

Geez! We got to see our tax dollars at work. Makes me feel good about that! Geez! :rolleyes:

Leaving for my cruise - see ya!

Edited by elliair

Interesting that the first comment was about the taxpayer. If you had been there you'd be thinking about the passenger first. We all were. 479bf3998d7919a2421b1f7f6e556566.jpg

Along the same lines JH took about last week. Passanger medevocked 3 cabins as soon as the notification of a delay was made. Went to CS looking for composition.

Sent from my LG-D959 using Forums mobile app

Well, of course Jim Walker is going to mention the cost to taxpayers, as otherwise, the story has no legs for him, as there was no injury or fault of the cruise line. Walker wants to imply that the foreign flag cruise ships are getting something for nothing, when in fact the USCG would provide the same service, for free, to any ship, US registered or not, and any person on any ship. This is an IMO requirement, and is part of the USCG's mission statement.

Jim Walker is a pot stirrer.........

Misslucy01

I want to thank the OP for reminding me that I haven't visited Walker's site for a while to get my morning chuckle. Always looking to see if he has misquoted one of my posts here again.

Along the same lines JH took about last week. Passanger medevocked 3 cabins as soon as the notification of a delay was made. Went to CS looking for composition.

Sent from my LG-D959 using Forums mobile app

can you spell this out better......I can't make out what you're saying

"took about last week"...."passanger medevocked 3 cabins" ???? "CS for composition" ??

who did what here you're saying ?

A 67 yo women was flown to a Jacksonville hospital in serious condition.

Here is a short blurp about it and the USCG video of the medevac

I wish her a successful recovery

Bless her heart! We all plan for our cruises with so much excitement and anticipation but never think of something like this happening. I hate that her cruise vacation went south and pray she has a full and speedy recovery!

can you spell this out better......I can't make out what you're saying

"took about last week"...."passanger medevocked 3 cabins" ???? "CS for composition" ??

who did what here you're saying ?

John talked about a passenger being taken off an Alaskan cruise for medical reasons which delayed part of their itinerary and 3 cabins immediately started demanding some sort of compensation for their inconvenience from Guest Services.

The funds used are counted as 'training dollars' by the military. They are going to be spent whether it is for a real life rescue or a fake training one. Quite frankly I am happy to have my dollars spent in this manner.

Find some true waste to worry about. :rolleyes:

Bless her heart!

We all plan for our cruises with so much excitement and anticipation but never think of something like this happening.

I hate that her cruise vacation went south and pray she has a full and speedy recovery!

Watching the video, I wondered if they gave her (heart) something for the excitement of being raised from the ship's deck to the helicopter?

It must be quite a memorable experience !

Edited by $hip$hape