couples cruise-should we stay onsite?

avgsuperheroine

DH and I did a disney cruise with our boys last time, and stayed in PC. This December it's just the two of us cruising and we have 2 nights prior to the cruise in Orlando.

I just saw they have a sale on the resorts, and I'm tempted to add the cruise transport and stay onsite. We usually rent a car, but with just two of us the savings is nonexistant.

The downside is we wouldn't have the freedom to roam we usually have when we travel. Would you recommend staying onsite and trying a resort? Is the transportation good and comfortable?

DCL transportation is good and reliable. Comfortable? It isn't bad, but it is a bus.

Should you stay on property? We always think that's a plus, but it doesn't determine your transportation. You can also choose to do a different mode each way if you wish. Several car rental companies have locations in/near wdw should you wish to drive. The advantage to that is getting the car for 24 hours so you can make a store run if needed. No, you won't save much. My car rental for my next cruise is under $30 for a full size vehicle...but add gas and tolls, and the savings isn't much.

What would you do for 2 days if you didn't stay on property? I think that's what it really comes down to. In the MCO area, there is not much to do without a car. At WDW, there's always something, whether you go to a park or not.

I would stay at a Disney resort and do not get a car. There is way too much to do in 2 days just at Disney, no need to cruise around. We have done it both ways, parking at the parks is easy, but you are not close to the gates and still end up taking a shuttle.

for 2 days, I wouldn't get a car either. Take buses to places or stay on the monorail somewhere.

We enjoy bar hopping the monorail. Make a stop at every hotel. We have also bar hopped around the boardwalk. But of course, that one you walk around the boardwalk, but still fun. The Boardwalk is less crowed than the monorail circuit or downtown Disney. All are fun.

You can bus hop to various resorts on property, check out places you haven't been. I would make dinner reservations as soon as you book your rooms to get your first choices for dinner.

Thank you so much for the posts!

The more I read up about the resorts the more I think I'd like to try them. When five of us go the savings to not use the bus is really evident, but with just two of us I think the timing might be right to give this a shot.

I've read up on resort-hopping, I think DH and I would enjoy it, we've been to the magic kingdom for 5 hours but other than cruising that's all the disney touring we've done!

Resort hopping? Not sure what you mean.

There is plenty to do at WDW without paying for park admission....walk along the boardwalk, check out Downtown Disney just for starters. The boardwalk is more alive at night.

At Christmas (the whole month of December) there is A LOT going on at the nicer resorts. And for all of these, you don't have to be staying at that resort to enjoy the fun.

Especially at Christmas time, touring WDW can be a blast! Start by having a late breakfast at Earl of Sandwich in Downtown Disney; then walk across to the West End - visiting the shops, taking in the sights and sounds with lunch, maybe, at the Ragland Road restaurant. Catch a bus to one of the Magic Kingdom resorts on the monorail. Check out the shops, a stop for a glass of wine or cocktail at one of the bars (or more) along the way, and the chef's baking competitions display at each of the resorts, as you travel around from hotel to hotel on the monorail. Sometime along the route, consider a dinner, say at O'hana's in the Polynesian or Citrico's in the Grand Floridian. If you are still able and there is time left, catch a bus to one of the Boardwalk resorts. Again, check out the chef's baking competition results in the lobby and merchandise in the shops; enjoy the shows (entertainers) along the boardwalk as you walk around Crescent Lake; enjoy a brew at Big River Grill and Brewing Works; and finish the round the world trip with a 'No Way Jose' sundae at Beaches & Cream between the Beach Club and Yacht Club resort! If you are not yet exhausted, consider a stop for a night cap at any number of wonderful lounges!

Years ago we would do this in one day. Now, many years later, it takes us at least two days to accomplish the same!