Sunshine price so high for next July!!

helene109

Went on the dream last month and I didn't pay that much per person for 7 day and the 5 day Sunshine looks to be $200 more is it because it is a newer ship. Or will the prices go down. Just surprised at how high they are

The Sunshine is not a newer ship. It was built in 1996 and renamed in the last year or so after going through a big refurbishment.

The Dream was built in 2009.

I can't explain why the price is so high.

Bill

It is all about marketing. People book it way in advance, then watch for price drops for onboard credit. The onboard credit is still big profit for Carnival because of it being over inflated in price to begin with. Bottom line is, Carnival ends up with all of you money anyway.

just starting to do some research but can't book until jan or feb when we pick our vacations at work

are you saying to keep watching out for deals?

In my experience Carnival starts out with high prices and they usually but not always go down.

If you book early saver you can get the price reductions up until 2 business days before the cruise sets sail.

Any other way you can get price reductions up until the final payment date.

There are also restrictions with the early saver booking so make sure you are aware of what they are before paying a deposit.

Bill

Called my PVP about my cruise in April and told him I was thinking about booking an August or Sept cruise but man o man the prices seem to have gone up. He was honest and said that the Triumph and Dream mishaps were no longer on cruisers minds and the powers to be felt the time is now right to increase prices.

Called my PVP about my cruise in April and told him I was thinking about booking an August or Sept cruise but man o man the prices seem to have gone up. He was honest and said that the Triumph and Dream mishaps were no longer on cruisers minds and the powers to be felt the time is now right to increase prices.

It's a shame you weren't talking about cruising this September. numerous 7 day Caribbean cruises for $199 for insides and less than $500 for balcony's.

Bill

It's about time they raised prices. The fire sales are not sustainable and are actually damaging the brand.

It's about time they raised prices. The fire sales are not sustainable and are actually damaging the brand.

Carnivals "brand" better get much better, because I know many people are not going to pay the prices they are asking for in their future cruises, especially with their 2016 cruises. No way no how. I love carnival but if those prices do not go down I will take my money to another line.

Carnivals "brand" better get much better, because I know many people are not going to pay the prices they are asking for in their future cruises, especially with their 2016 cruises. No way no how. I love carnival but if those prices do not go down I will take my money to another line.

I'd be very confident they'll come down. There is always the odd week or itinerary that get the high prices but the majority of the time the prices fall.

Bill

I have noticed prices are always higher when kids are out of school and familey want to take a vacation they have you captive .. and cruises are always the cheapest in sept and first part of oct kids back in school and the hight of hurrican season also the last week of nov and first two week of dec every one is getting over thanksgiving and getting ready for christmas and they go up the closer you get to the Christmas holiday just my 2cents

I have noticed prices are always higher when kids are out of school and familey want to take a vacation they have you captive .. and cruises are always the cheapest in sept and first part of oct kids back in school and the hight of hurrican season also the last week of nov and first two week of dec every one is getting over thanksgiving and getting ready for christmas and they go up the closer you get to the Christmas holiday just my 2cents

You are correct. It has always been that way

The pricing game is interesting. There were some really good last-minute prices this summer and fall rates are very low, some ridiculously so. Clearly, they have lots of cabins to fill. Yet, prices for next spring and summer seem very high. I expected an Easter week cruise to be expensive because it's a common spring break week, but the price keeps going up and is very close to a cruise Christmas week that adds an extra sea day (and three times the cost of the cruise in Sept/Oct). All the "sales" I'm seeing are only good through the end of 2014, even our favorite "more the merrier." The strategy seems to be to keep rates high for planners who are eager to book early and then offer sales and cheap guarantees to fill the cabins. I'm sure this has been a strategy for a long time, but it seems to be more extreme this year? If only we weren't limited by work and school and could actually take a last minute cruise.

Edited by KatieCharlotte

The pricing game is interesting. There were some really good last-minute prices this summer and fall rates are very low, some ridiculously so. Clearly, they have lots of cabins to fill. Yet, prices for next spring and summer seem very high. I expected an Easter week cruise to be expensive because it's a common spring break week, but the price keeps going up and is very close to a cruise Christmas week that adds an extra sea day (and three times the cost of the cruise in Sept/Oct). All the "sales" I'm seeing are only good through the end of 2014, even our favorite "more the merrier." The strategy seems to be to keep rates high for planners who are eager to book early and then offer sales and cheap guarantees to fill the cabins. I'm sure this has been a strategy for a long time, but it seems to be more extreme this year? If only we weren't limited by work and school and could actually take a last minute cruise.

I'm with you. Spring break in our county is always the week following Easter. We have done cruises that week a couple of times so I know that is a more expensive time but honestly the prices for 2015 are making us look at other options. We can fly to St Thomas and rent a condo for 5 nights for about the same $$. DH & I are actually all for that but we plan to vacation with a group of 3 other families and cruises are easy for a big group.

• 3 weeks later...
The Sunshine is not a newer ship. It was built in 1996 and renamed in the last year or so after going through a big refurbishment.

The Dream was built in 2009.

I can't explain why the price is so high.

Bill

If I were to guess the time of year may have a lot to do with the high prices, parents take the little darlings on cruises for their summer break from school- more demand higher prices.

Gary