how to get free wifi?

beachchairs2

well there you go....

my hopes dashed....

and nowhere to turn....my agent is too busy....

I'm finding it increasingly amusing that actually paying for the amenities that you desire, such as a better cabin and Internet access, is never even mentioned as an option.

While agreeing in principle with StanandJim's comment above regarding paying for the options one chooses to utilize, I would submit that in 2014, internet connection is no longer an amenity but rather an essential part of life. Therefore, it should not be considered in the same category as booze and shore excursions.

Five or ten years ago, sure, it was an amazing feature out in the middle of the ocean for which we paid more or less dearly. Today, it's no more unusual or luxurious than the flat-screen TV and DVD player in the cabin.

Management's argument that we have to repay the investment in satellite technology and interior wiring is no more valid than saying we have the repay the cost of the engines down below or the stoves in the galley. All are now basic requirements for safe and timely operation of the ship and comfort of the passengers.

The costs of engines and stoves are included in the cruise fare; internet connection should be included there as well.

Whenever we scan the brochures for our next cruise, we start with the YWYW offerings, which mostly include free unlimited Internet.

The recent announcement of "free WiFi" is really just a pack of free minutes based on cabin choice, not unlimited for regular cabins. We normally sail in Concierge and I think this new offer allows 200 free minutes for that class of cabin.

We need far more than that...so YWYW is our first stop.

The costs of engines and stoves are included in the cruise fare; internet connection should be included there as well.

The internet connection IS included in the cruise fare...it's just the use of it that you must pay for. :p

Unlike the other commodities, data is a flow that is measurable by consumption...and the cruise line is charged accordingly.

I do agree it should be (and will be) cheaper and faster... sooner than later.

The internet connection IS included in the cruise fare...it's just the use of it that you must pay for. :p

Unlike the other commodities, data is a flow that is measurable by consumption...and the cruise line is charged accordingly.

I do agree it should be (and will be) cheaper and faster... sooner than later.

+1 and as a quick aside, this is exactly the way that shipboard telegraph and telephony work. The Line provides the link and the Passengers pay usage fees.

Unlimited internet is my alcohol package.

If they give it to me as part of a promotion, fine (they did so on my January Cape Town to Singapore saying).

If it is not included, I buy it with my OBC.

It is a requirement for us, just as the Prestige Drink Package is for others.

We each have our own poison. LOL

Land based motels, hotels, and resorts used to charge for internet also, but most now offer wireless as part of the cost of your stay. Some do still charge, but they are in the minority. Cruise lines are somewhat different, as the cost of their access is higher, but then again, most people are not conducting as much business on board as people do in hotels.

It makes sense that internet will become something included in the cost of the cruise fare. Whether it is "free", or just absorbed into the price, is another story!

Land based motels, hotels, and resorts used to charge for internet also, but most now offer wireless as part of the cost of your stay. Some do still charge, but they are in the minority. Cruise lines are somewhat different, as the cost of their access is higher, but then again, most people are not conducting as much business on board as people do in hotels.

It makes sense that internet will become something included in the cost of the cruise fare. Whether it is "free", or just absorbed into the price, is another story!

The funny thing is, the less expensive hotels are the ones offering it for free, while most 5 star hotels still charge for internet. According to that logic, it should be the mainstream lines giving it away while the luxury and semi-luxury cruise lines impose a fee.

I'm finding it increasingly amusing that actually paying for the amenities that you desire, such as a better cabin and Internet access, is never even mentioned as an option.

Im sure you dont mean amusing..as amusing means you are getting pleasure out of it.....

and if that is the case, keep reading my responses as they will continue to be amusing...

Hmmm….very interesting. Thanks, computerworks, for enlightening me on that. It's news to me…but then, most everything about electronic media is news to me.

However, given this information, then why are we charged by the minute for internet usage, rather than by our data flow? Shouldn't we be charged by the number of bytes we transmit and receive?

If all I do is send and receive text e-mails while the person in the next cabin is uploading their cruise pix and videos to CC and elsewhere, can we not presume that they are flowing a lot more data from their computer than I am from mine? And, if so, given that the cruise line is charged for data flow, then why are we both paying exactly the same rate per minute?

A rhetorical question, to be sure, because who knows what evil lurks in the minds of cruise line bean-counters? Still, since we're on the topic anyway, it's a question that deserves to be asked.

Internet should be included. Period. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

While agreeing in principle with StanandJim's comment above regarding paying for the options one chooses to utilize, I would submit that in 2014, internet connection is no longer an amenity but rather an essential part of life. Therefore, it should not be considered in the same category as booze and shore excursions.

I guess it depends on whose life

I do not go on a cruise to spend my day/night on the internet

I may use the internet to pay bills if we will be away when I need to have that option

Last cruise I never took my netbook with us ...I used the internet to check in for the return flights & a quick email check

Hardly an essential part of my life

;)

YMMD though

Five or ten years ago, sure, it was an amazing feature out in the middle of the ocean for which we paid more or less dearly. Today, it's no more unusual or luxurious than the flat-screen TV and DVD player in the cabin.

Management's argument that we have to repay the investment in satellite technology and interior wiring is no more valid than saying we have the repay the cost of the engines down below or the stoves in the galley. All are now basic requirements for safe and timely operation of the ship and comfort of the passengers.

Well said. Charging for internet is a nickel and dime technique like charging for "real" coffee on Princess or "better" steaks on RC. On our first (hopefully of many) O cruises last February, one of the things I most admired was the lack of nickel and diming! That said, to enjoy my cruise I must be able to email my children every day. It is my lifeline, although they are adults with children of their own. I compose offline, put the email in a draft, and send when online. While the emails are sending, the new emails are downloading. I log off and read my emails offline. Even with slightly slower internet speeds (and they are not that slow), the whole process takes between 1 and 2 minutes. For under $5.00 a day, I can hear from my kids a few times and let them know what a wonderful cruise I am having. Yes, free would be great but it's worth much more to me than a glass of wine or a trinket from the gift store!

However, given this information, then why are we charged by the minute for internet usage, rather than by our data flow? Shouldn't we be charged by the number of bytes we transmit and receive?

Very insightful observation... and that is the trend in current shipboard technology. Billing by minutes is arcane and unfair; actual data flow used is a much more equitable way. And that is the way things are changing.

MTN (the internet service provider that Oceania and many others use) has a system for selling internet in blocks of megabytes transferred, regardless of connect time. Norwegian has piloted this system on some of their newer ships, with an indication that this will be the future direction.

Rather than buying packages of minutes, you purchase blocks of data. I have used this system on my cruise last month, and it saved me quite a bit.

This is how they billed:

12229_10203028217358614_1962488625930977435_n.jpg

In the "old days," we had to purchase minutes blocks and as such, you were paying for connect time that was idle, as well as having the time-meter running during slow connect periods. Under the new system, you only pay for the bytes sent and received... much fairer...and far less costly.

As equipment gets upgraded, and as this system is tested, I am sure we will see this across most all cruise lines in the short term.

I may use the internet to pay bills if we will be away when I need to have that option

Last cruise I never took my netbook with us ...I used the internet to check in for the return flights & a quick email check

;)

YMMD though

Indeed, it differs for me. Being far from retired, and involved in some mission-critical support, I cannot be disconnected, even on vacation. That is my cross to bear. :cool: As Hyman Roth said, "... this is the business we've chosen."

I am a heavy user when I sail. It enables me to pay for my next cruise. :p

I do bring quite a bit of gear with me and do some amazing things when at sea... but I have to. Sometimes I get lucky and don't have to use it all... but I have pulled a few all-nighters solving problems halfway around the earth.

Good, consistent internet is a necessity for me, under these circumstances.

;)

YMMD though

So true for us as well!! Even though DH still has to be "connected" to his staff when we travel, ideally, a quick check of the emails in the am, and one check before bed. That's it!!

We don't do the social mee-ja, so no Facebook, no Skype. Only CruiseCritic, and Flyertalk for resources.

We try to be unconnected as much as possible.

We thought we were the only ones :)

Nothing is really free ..the cost is added in someplace

O prices are high enough let's not keep asking for more things they can charge more $$ for ..:eek:

Some of us are not independently wealthy but do enjoy Oceania cruises

Lyn

So true for us as well!! Even though DH still has to be "connected" to his staff when we travel, ideally, a quick check of the emails in the am, and one check before bed. That's it!!

We don't do the social mee-ja, so no Facebook, no Skype. Only CruiseCritic, and Flyertalk for resources.

We try to be unconnected as much as possible.

We thought we were the only ones :)

You are not the only ones!:)