Suite preference dining

CruiseFarmer

True, but the problem with a reservation is that you have to decide in advance when you will be ready to eat. A nice suite perk would be to go to the head of the line, no matter when you show up. I'm hoping we will see that when we sail in a suite in January.

First, I think your experience will vary depending on when you sail. Since you're with non-suite friends the difference of the new restaurant may be less important to you.

Second, our opinion of the MDR is generally pretty low. Too many misses in the hit or miss category. Especially when it comes to service, which seems to us to be worse in the Select dining area.

One thing we have found improves service is having the same server and assistant server so they get to know your preferences. We haven't tried to have a standing reservation, or eat in Select Dining at the same time every night, so I can't comment on that, we usually eat pretty late on vacation anyway, so we just go with 8:30.

On our recent cruise we ate in the MDR 2 times. Once the first evening and met our table mates, who were really fun, we had a blast. Plans didn't work out well, and we've gotten bored with the menus, so we never went back. We did try lunch one day, and while the food was ok, except for one dish, again service was slow and pretty sad.

We're really looking forward to the new suite restaurant.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

When you book a suite one of the stated perks is perference seating in the main dining and speciality restaurants. Does this mean you go to the front of the line even without reservations? And if you have non suite friends can they come in with you?

The actual value of this perk, came up in a recent topic.

It seems that indeed Celebrity gives priority seating to those in Suites... At least when it comes to Dining preferences when booking / prior to sailing ... Select or Traditional (Early or Late)

Whether one gets priority for other options... Such as Specialty Dining Venues is debatable. Some say tho that a good Butler can go a long way in making such things happen (at east when it does to Reservations)

And I would imagine that if your Butler is making a Reservation in your name for 2, he could just as easily make it for a table of 4, 6 or 8.

Hope this helps (somewhat),

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Plus...

If you are making inquiries about the NEW Celebrity Suite Class which is due to premier in April 2015, I suggest you check out the following Official Press Release from Celebrity as it also includes important info about the New Suite Dining Room and how it will work, for both Guests in Suites as well as Friends / Family they may be enjoying the cruise with who are non-suite Pax

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/General_Info/Flyers/14037410_CEL_Suites_FAQs.pdf

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

We've stayed in suites several times and did not by-pass the short line for select dining in order to be seated before others that arrived before us. Likewise, if you just show up at a specialty restaurant without a reservation they will not seat you and bump someone who took the time to make a reservation if the restaurant is otherwise full. We saw one couple trying to get into Qusine with out a reservation and demanding to be seated because they were in a suite. The Maître D calmly explained that they were full at the moment, were waiting to seat several diners with reservations, and a table would be available in 30 minutes or so. The couple stormed off because their demand was not met.

Mary Lou

Thanks for the opinions. I was not asking about the new suite restaurant. I wanted to know about MDR and specialities if you could by pass the line if you just show up at different times, without reservations and with 2 to 4 friends.

Sorry to sidetrack the thread. We have been seated a few times more quickly than those waiting when we got to the hostess and gave our cabin number, but I don't know if that was because we were a 2 or because we were in a suite. I've seen lines for "reservations" and "no reservations" but not for suites and non-suites for select dining.

Your best bet may be to plan by mid afternoon and have your butler call to reserve your table, so it is there when you get there, and can avoid the waiting part (they were giving out pagers on Summit last week when there were longer waits). I doubt you'll avoid the line part but that should go quickly.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

We've stayed in suites several times and did not by-pass the short line for select dining in order to be seated before others that arrived before us. Likewise, if you just show up at a specialty restaurant without a reservation they will not seat you and bump someone who took the time to make a reservation if the restaurant is otherwise full. We saw one couple trying to get into Qusine with out a reservation and demanding to be seated because they were in a suite. The Maître D calmly explained that they were full at the moment, were waiting to seat several diners with reservations, and a table would be available in 30 minutes or so. The couple stormed off because their demand was not met.

Mary Lou

In my experience there was two lines for Select Dining. One for Suites and people with reservations and one for people without reservations.

So if I go to the elite cocktail hour and meet up with a dozen or so friends, have a few drinks and then proceed to select dining can we, as suite guests, and our friends all jump the queue and be seated together? :confused: