HAL land portion starting w/Fairbanks tips

chrismch

We just completed a land and cruise with HAL and thought I'd pass on what I learned to help others.When we landed at the Fairbanks airport, someone holding both a HAL and Princess sign met us and told us to go directly to baggage claim and we would meet someone there with further directions. This is a small airport and we ALL went to one area.

Again, there was someone there with a HAL/Princess sign. This person gave us our hotel packet which included our room key (and number), luggage tags that said "meet me on the ship" or "meet me the hotel." and info for our pick up time the next morning for our tour in Denali. The wait for the transfer to the ship was 30-40 minutes and seemed a bit disorganized they separated us by hotel delivery. But all left one behind the other.

They DID NOT separate our bags at this time, all went to the hotel with us. However, make sure you have ALL tags you'll need from the airport. Do NOT expect the staff to be at the hotel. We were told they would be there for extra tags until 9:30 pm. We got there at 9:10 pm and they had closed up shop already.

Transfer of bags to ship: We were required to have our bags outside by 6:30 am for delivery to the ship AND those going ahead to Denali. We could personally travel with 2 additional small bags to keep with us, most only had one backpack or small bag. They picked them up by 7AM.

Fairbanks Westmark Hotel - There are no restaurants nearby - meaning for at least 7 blocks. Seems to be more in a business district meaning no shopping either. There are 2 onsite restaurants. The main one has entrees starting in the mid $20's. The more casual one had sandwiches starting at $16. Interesting note... you could get crab cakes for $14 but buffalo wings were $16. Though the hotel was at least 50% or more full, there were only 3 cars in the parking lot.

The room at the Fairmont. Two comfy double beds, dresser, two night stands and black out curtains. . There was a front sitting room with a desk, chair and and a second chair. . The bathroom had a sink outside and the tub/shower and commode were there own room.

We just completed a land and cruise with HAL and thought I'd pass on what I learned to help others.When we landed at the Fairbanks airport, someone holding both a HAL and Princess sign met us and told us to go directly to baggage claim and we would meet someone there with further directions. This is a small airport and we ALL went to one area.

Again, there was someone there with a HAL/Princess sign. This person gave us our hotel packet which included our room key (and number), luggage tags that said "meet me on the ship" or "meet me the hotel." and info for our pick up time the next morning for our tour in Denali. The wait for the transfer to the ship was 30-40 minutes and seemed a bit disorganized they separated us by hotel delivery. But all left one behind the other.

They DID NOT separate our bags at this time, all went to the hotel with us. However, make sure you have ALL tags you'll need from the airport. Do NOT expect the staff to be at the hotel. We were told they would be there for extra tags until 9:30 pm. We got there at 9:10 pm and they had closed up shop already.

Transfer of bags to ship: We were required to have our bags outside by 6:30 am for delivery to the ship AND those going ahead to Denali. We could personally travel with 2 additional small bags to keep with us, most only had one backpack or small bag. They picked them up by 7AM.

Fairbanks Westmark Hotel - There are no restaurants nearby - meaning for at least 7 blocks. Seems to be more in a business district meaning no shopping either. There are 2 onsite restaurants. The main one has entrees starting in the mid $20's. The more casual one had sandwiches starting at $16. Interesting note... you could get crab cakes for $14 but buffalo wings were $16. Though the hotel was at least 50% or more full, there were only 3 cars in the parking lot.

The room at the Fairmont. Two comfy double beds, dresser, two night stands and black out curtains. . There was a front sitting room with a desk, chair and and a second chair. . The bathroom had a sink outside and the tub/shower and commode were there own room.

Thank you for sharing this information. We are planning to take a cruise/tour departing from Fairbanks. I have not been able to find any good hotel options but will continue looking.