P&o cruises aust

ive read a lot of forums and p&o seem to get a pasting from most on these forums ive been on the pacific dawn twice 2009 ,2011 had a great holiday ,yer drink prices are dear on there but its a cruise its like you cant get it anywhere else I think cruises are great value holidays.. don't forget theres about 1900 people on board so its going to be hard to please everyone, but its good to get feedback from fellow cruisers getting tips on places to go and to avoid and things to pack and not to pack.. .I think go in not expecting 5 star if your not paying 5 star prices ......well im off on the jewel jan 2015 hoping for another great cruise/holiday...my first post so hope it comes across the right way

cheers ....mr bigshow ....:D

You are correct but p&o is a budget cruise line which is why regular cruisers bag the service. Extras etc

They have picked up their game but not to compare with the contemporary lines of royal. Hal. Princess etc

Once you've tried the others as long as you don't

Get issues you too will see why things are said here re p&o

But each to their own

Every cruise line aims at a set

Market and gives it's passengers in the sector what they expect and try not to give more

Each line markets specific targets is what I'm saying

Enjoy the jewel

She is a lovely ship

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

on facebook they have some unhappy people because they cant bring on bottles of water and soft drinks from november 1st but they can only blame a few people that try and smuggle on booze who have cruelled it for everyone else

ive seen on some forums other cruise ships have drink packages I think p&o should try and introduce something similar it would be welcomed by many ...not that I drink much soft drink ....im sure they would get these requests in questionairs that they conduct

I have sailed on the Pacific Dawn twice (Oct 13 and June 14) and I can honestly say their standards have dropped dramatically since our first cruise with them. Trying to get into the dining room was beyond a joke and once in there the food was awful. Not once on the whole cruise did my order come as it was supposed to. There was always something missing, it was invariably luke warm and the serving sizes were tiny. Couldn't even get toast most mornings for breakfast. Trying to get drink service in the MDR was nigh on impossible because there wad hardly any staff. Bar staff numbers had been cut down and staff in general seemed to be a lot less. At one of our tender ports it took us over 2 hours from collecting our tender tickets to getting ashore - and that was not during the busy tour meeting time. P&O just wouldn't put on more that 2 tender boats. Maintenance seems to have been let go with a lot of the ship looking very run down. The staff seemed as though they weren't interested at all, probably because they were doing extra work to cover the shortfall. Don't get me wrong - I enjoyed my cruise in spite of this but we will never sail P&O again. You may say you get what you pay for - but we didn't get what we paid for.

I don't mind P&O although I found trying to book a table in the Dining Room on the Pacific Dawn a pain. I cruise in inside cabins now and I think the Inside cabins on P&O are the best I have experienced.

Regards Elaine.

I normally cruise on Royal ships but loved, loved, loved the oceanview cabin we had on Pacific Pearl. LOTS of storage space and a nice big shower even though there was the dreaded shower curtain. MUCH larger than oceanview cabins we've had on Royal.

The cruise we took (15 night Southern Explorer) was NOT a budget-priced cruise but the itinerary was perfect! OK, the ship was smaller and the live bands & evening entertainment weren't what we were used to on Royal but we went with an open mind and had a great cruise - staff on a whole were helpful & attentive. Food in the Dining Room was mostly enjoyable. Yes meals were small but with 3 courses that was fine by us!

Gae

I don't think P&O is much cheaper than some of the other cruise lines. My first cruise was on the Diamond Princess and since then I have had many bargains. I don't want to dish P&O but I will not pay precious holiday money or use precious leave for a product that is constantly reviewed as inferior. If a cheap enough deal did come along I would give it a go but with all the bargains around it's not likely.

Also, I am in WA and we don't ever seem to get good prices over this way. I had a look at what P&O are charging and its cheaper for me to fly to Sydney :rolleyes:

on facebook they have some unhappy people because they cant bring on bottles of water and soft drinks from november 1st but they can only blame a few people that try and smuggle on booze who have cruelled it for everyone else

P&O are willing to use a few people as a scapegoat for what is ultimately about bolstering their revenue with sales of $5-6 bottles of water. The people that are going to smuggle alcohol on board are still going to do it, there are hundreds of better ways than using a water bottle or soft drink slab (I won't list them because they likely read this, but lets just say they won't be able to stop people from bringing these items..ever, just use a bit of imagination), which means the only people this will punish is the people who genuinely want to bring water with them because the water on board is highly chlorinated and lacks the natural minerals found in bottled/shore tap water.

It's all about squeezing as much money out of people as possible and has nothing to do with safety and RSA like they said it does.

I think it's things like this, the crazy costcutting and nickel and diming that is giving them a bad reputation and pushing people to the competition, namely Royal Caribbean who allow 2 bottles of BYO wine and unlimited water+ soft drink as well as not charging for things like rock climbing walls, flow riders and most activities. Also heard of lately that turndown service is a thing of the past on P&O as they have halved stateroom stewards so it's one clean in the day and that staff in general are completely ran off their feet because of the cuts.

Don't get me wrong, I used to love P&O and they were a solid favourite cruise line, but their direction of lately makes it easy to pick Royal Caribbean over them.

Also, welcome to the boards Mr Bigshow, I'm sure you will enjoy your cruise as every cruise is a great cruise :cool:. P&O still do some of the best theme parties and sailaways and have very lively ships :)

OP, Welcome to CC.

There is a cruise line out there for everyone.

Personally, I can get better cruises for the same prices that P&O charge, so unless the price is really cheap (like my last cruise on the Pearl), I will not be sailing P&O.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

Hi Mr Bigshow, which cruise have you booked. We have booked a Pacific Jewel cruise, have not cruised P&O Australia since the old Oriana in the 1980s. Have done P&O Uk and Princess, have booked a cruise on Jewel from Fremantle to Singapore because it was the itinerary we liked, bit nervous as a few people have said cancel it, especially as it is on its way to a refit, but we have booked a mini suite for the same price as a balcony on Princess so hopefully we will at least have plenty of room.

Hi Mr Bigshow, which cruise have you booked. We have booked a Pacific Jewel cruise, have not cruised P&O Australia since the old Oriana in the 1980s. Have done P&O Uk and Princess, have booked a cruise on Jewel from Fremantle to Singapore because it was the itinerary we liked, bit nervous as a few people have said cancel it, especially as it is on its way to a refit, but we have booked a mini suite for the same price as a balcony on Princess so hopefully we will at least have plenty of room.

I originally planned to do a 3 night Melbourne-Adelaide cruise to test my ability to cope on a ship-multiple disabilities. I found a 2 night cruise Melbourne-Sydney on the Golden Princess in April 2016, which will give me more information seeking opportunities so I'm going with that.

Enjoy your cruise everyone.:cool:

• 2 months later...
I have sailed on the Pacific Dawn twice (Oct 13 and June 14) and I can honestly say their standards have dropped dramatically since our first cruise with them. Trying to get into the dining room was beyond a joke and once in there the food was awful. Not once on the whole cruise did my order come as it was supposed to. There was always something missing, it was invariably luke warm and the serving sizes were tiny. Couldn't even get toast most mornings for breakfast. Trying to get drink service in the MDR was nigh on impossible because there wad hardly any staff. Bar staff numbers had been cut down and staff in general seemed to be a lot less. At one of our tender ports it took us over 2 hours from collecting our tender tickets to getting ashore - and that was not during the busy tour meeting time. P&O just wouldn't put on more that 2 tender boats. Maintenance seems to have been let go with a lot of the ship looking very run down. The staff seemed as though they weren't interested at all, probably because they were doing extra work to cover the shortfall. Don't get me wrong - I enjoyed my cruise in spite of this but we will never sail P&O again. You may say you get what you pay for - but we didn't get what we paid for.

We travelled on Pacific Dawn this past August and our experience was, luckily. better than yours. We had no complaints re MDR (but we did have a waiter we've had several times previously) or staff - everyone was friendly and happy, however we did notice they have cut staff so they are all fairly rushed. I spoke to two of the cabin stewards we have had before and they do not like it now they have cut out the evening turn down service because they don't have time to interact with the passengers.

Another thing I like about Pac Dawn is the cabin size, especially the bathroom/dressing area. I love Princess but hate their little wardrobes and bathrooms.

I don't mind P&O although I found trying to book a table in the Dining Room on the Pacific Dawn a pain. I cruise in inside cabins now and I think the Inside cabins on P&O are the best I have experienced.

Regards Elaine.

It's been years since I was on a cruise, so my observations aren't current, but I thought exactly the same about P&O when we went on pacific Dawn in 2010, that the cabin layout was a lot better than the inside cabin we had had the year before on Sun Princess. The finish of it wasn't, mind you. The laminate etc was peeling and overall effect a bit tatty but the bed was much more comfortable and just a better design all round.

Booking a table may have changed but I recall, back then, following a tip I had read in here.:D

Someone suggested that as soon as we boarded, we should ring the dining room and reserve a table and even though it said anytime dining, pick either the early or later sitting.

So I did. there were six of us and as soon as we got on board, I was on the phone, asking for a window table if at all possible.

We got a great location and booked it again. After that, as soon as we arrived at the dining room each night, we would reserve the same spot for the next night, before we even went in.

Worked for us.:)

As I say, things may have changed since then though.

Just back from a cruise on Pacific Jewel and was disappointed that there are no longer any books in the Library. When I inquired why, various staff advised that the books were removed as too many were being stolen.:eek: Very Sad.:(

Would not be those new Cruiselings?:confused:;)

P&O are willing to use a few people as a scapegoat for what is ultimately about bolstering their revenue with sales of $5-6 bottles of water. The people that are going to smuggle alcohol on board are still going to do it, there are hundreds of better ways than using a water bottle or soft drink slab (I won't list them because they likely read this, but lets just say they won't be able to stop people from bringing these items..ever, just use a bit of imagination), which means the only people this will punish is the people who genuinely want to bring water with them because the water on board is highly chlorinated and lacks the natural minerals found in bottled/shore tap water.

It's all about squeezing as much money out of people as possible and has nothing to do with safety and RSA like they said it does.

I think it's things like this, the crazy costcutting and nickel and diming that is giving them a bad reputation and pushing people to the competition, namely Royal Caribbean who allow 2 bottles of BYO wine and unlimited water+ soft drink as well as not charging for things like rock climbing walls, flow riders and most activities. Also heard of lately that turndown service is a thing of the past on P&O as they have halved stateroom stewards so it's one clean in the day and that staff in general are completely ran off their feet because of the cuts.

Don't get me wrong, I used to love P&O and they were a solid favourite cruise line, but their direction of lately makes it easy to pick Royal Caribbean over them.

Also, welcome to the boards Mr Bigshow, I'm sure you will enjoy your cruise as every cruise is a great cruise :cool:. P&O still do some of the best theme parties and sailaways and have very lively ships :)

I agree with you, its not about RSA it's about $$$ - when P&O staff try and sell drinks (booze) at breakfast, how responsible is that?

Anyone with a modicum of imagination will still bring their own drinks on - the prices are much higher than say RCCL ships.

The turndown service has been gone for about 12 months now on P&O. The stewards now go around cleaning the ship at night.

The evenings are much more livelier on P&O.

I don't really understand why people pay the prices P & O are charging. Friends of ours are going on a 7 night cruise Pacific Islands cruise from Brisbane and are paying $86 per night per person inside QUAD share.

Our last Princess cruise for 14 nights to the Pacific Islands and Fiji was $76 per night per person inside TWIN share. You can get better deals on Princess and Royal Caribbean than P & O and enjoy a higher standard.