Please help. I think I messed up with my Drivers License

valandemmy

I don't remember a single port where they did not ask to see our photo ID when we entered the gate, even our last cruise to Hawaii. One of our friends forgot hers and her husband had to go to the room and get it before the port authority would let her in.

In all of my cruises, I have never been asked for photo ID when reboarding the ship in port. Even on my European cruise. This seems to vary from passenger to passenger though.

When I moved to Georgia, they took my old Ohio license and I received a temporary, paper ID. I used it at the airport and they didn't even question it. I think this type of thing if probably pretty common, but to put yourself at ease, I'd call Carnival.

Just another thought....hopefully you aren't booked under a resident rate for your old state.

Are you cruising with a passport? If so..this won't be an issue.

If you were planning on cruising with a DL & birth certificate, I would go and get a passport. You can have one expedited at a passport agency in 8 business days. In TX we get a paper DL that looks like a photo copy of an unsigned DL. I thought it was a joke when they gave it to me. I would never try to fly or leave the country with something like this. This may be recognized in your state, but the TSA, US Customs, Carnival reps, and and foreign security may not recognize that your state accepts a piece of paper.

I would not take a chance. You spent a lot of money and time planning your cruise. Get a passport and enjoy your trip. Here is a link to find a passport agency/expedite location.

http://iafdb.travel.state.gov/

Good luck.

If you were planning on cruising with a DL & birth certificate, I would go and get a passport. You can have one expedited at a passport agency in 8 business days. In TX we get a paper DL that looks like a photo copy of an unsigned DL. I thought it was a joke when they gave it to me. I would never try to fly or leave the country with something like this. This may be recognized in your state, but the TSA, US Customs, Carnival reps, and and foreign security may not recognize that your state accepts a piece of paper.

I would not take a chance. You spent a lot of money and time planning your cruise. Get a passport and enjoy your trip. Here is a link to find a passport agency/expedite location.

Good luck.

All well and good but don't they require a photo ID to issue a passport also? Given Dirkgun's response I think it's even more evident that it will be accepted.

Good luck.

I am from Texas and the paper temporary DL issued by DPS is all you need. It meets the definition of a govt issued picture ID. It is accepted by Carnival, TSA, Immigration, and all other states. You are fine with the paper version. I believe the OP stated the DMV told him the hardcopy would arrive in 20 days. He will probably get it sooner. In Texas we tell people 15-20 days and the actual turnaround is closer to 5-10 days.

Florida did the same when I moved from NC.

Illinois does the same thing. They take it, cut it up and ask you if you want the picture back. Like oh yes I want that horrid picture back....

OP, I think you should call Carnival. But honestly I think you're fine. this IS a form of government ID. Plus it's not a photocopy and it does have a seal on it so what more could they want. I mean there's not much more you can do but hope that it comes sooner. I know in Illinois we get ours a lot quicker than they say so maybe you will too. I hope for your sake you do.

You cannot be the first person who has traveled with one of these ID's? TSA must know what they are? And how can they deny you boarding when you really are meeting their requirements. The requirements say an official govt. id required and that really is what you have...Maybe have the phone number of your DMV handy in case they question it?

In all of my cruises, I have never been asked for photo ID when reboarding the ship in port. Even on my European cruise. This seems to vary from passenger to passenger though.

On our B2B in June/July, I think they asked for photo ID to reboard at every port (with the possible exception of HMC). There seemed to be a couple cases where passengers who had forgotten their ID were waiting outside the security area while their travelling companions went back to their cabin to fetch their ID for them.

Edited by T. Advisor King

On our B2B in June/July, I think they asked for photo ID to reboard at every port (with the possible exception of HMC). There seemed to be a couple cases where passengers who had forgotten their ID were waiting outside the security area while their travelling companions went back to their cabin to fetch their ID for them.

I don't think I have ever taken my ID off the ship, with the exception of my sign and sale card. I was always afraid to lose it while off the ship.

Last cruise all we needed to reboard was our S&S card. When they insert it your picture comes up on the screen in front of them.

We have had at mulitiple ports where we were told we need to take our Photo Id's with us and they were checked by port authorities not the cruiseline check in. We have sailed to so many ports that I couldn't tell you which ones did and which ones didn't but I do know the cruise lines warned you before you got off if you would need your photo ID to get through the port.

Edited by Warm Breezes

You can also check with US Customs and Border Protection. From their web site. They take about 2-3 weeks to answer an e-mail question, but you can call directly.

If you require immediate assistance, or you have an urgent matter, please contact us at 1-877-227-5511 or (202) 325-8000. Thank you!

Last cruise all we needed to reboard was our S&S card. When they insert it your picture comes up on the screen in front of them.

That's all that you need to get on the ship, but many ports require the sail and sign card and a photo ID to be let back into the pier area.

When I moved to Georgia, they took my old Ohio license and I received a temporary, paper ID. I used it at the airport and they didn't even question it. I think this type of thing if probably pretty common, but to put yourself at ease, I'd call Carnival.

Just another thought....hopefully you aren't booked under a resident rate for your old state.

Just in case you might be thinking of an cruise from Australia. In New Zealand they check ID every time you enter port grounds and the ID must be a specific document type. They did not accept photocopies. Had to be the actual document. Some people from Europe did have a photocopy of their passport at the first port and the port people had to check them against the ship passenger list.

OK... So here is the story . . .

We moved into a new state a couple of months back. Although, you are supposed to get a new DL within 30 days I procrastinated and went today to get them for me and my wife.

At DMV...fill out forms, get new picture taken... get handed a PAPER DRIVERS LICENSE....Then get told it will be 20 business days until the new card arrives. I leave in less than that. I asked about cancelling the new DL and they kinda just laughed about it and said everything would be fine.

Does anyone know if these paper drivers license will work to get on board. The DMV said they would work for any cruise, flight, etc. but I am a little scared to bet my vacation on it. The Paper DL has my picture, a watermark, and bar scan code on the back...

The rule is a government issued PHOTO identification. Do you still have your old DL? Do you have a passport?

Edited by Cuizer2

I believe people are talking about when entering the port area, not boarding the ship. For example, in Grand Turk, they ask to see a photo ID and S&S card when you leave the Dufry store to get to the pier.

You need a valid government issued photo identification. Your "temporary" license is a valid government issued photo identification.

Move along, nothing more to see here. :rolleyes:

He has good reason to worry. Even if that paper license is a valid government identification, and should be accepted, you never know what cruise personnel will do.

Its more likely than not that they will look at it, and pass it over and allow you to board with no problems at all, or they may look at it, and think it might be fake. Combined with a birth certificate, it should be fine.

There was a couple articles where AMERICAN TSA agents denied people boarding on domestic flights because they didn't accept a valid LAMINATED District of Columbia Drivers license. There was a lack of communication somewhere, and DC licenses got skipped, for some reason, so several TSA agents, denied boarding to several passengers because they didn't recognize DC as a state issued identification.

My suggestion here, is find something official in your State's DMV that clearly says paper licenses are issued until the permanent ones come in. If you give them a chain to follow, they usually will easily. Absent that, maybe you might get something signed by a manager of the DMV stating this is the state's legal document, albeit, a temporary one.

Second suggestion, is to expedite a passport. You can get one in days, if you're willing to pay the extra money.

A couple years ago, they were checking ID in Nassau before boarding the ship.

He has good reason to worry. Even if that paper license is a valid government identification, and should be accepted, you never know what cruise personnel will do.

Its more likely than not that they will look at it, and pass it over and allow you to board with no problems at all, or they may look at it, and think it might be fake. Combined with a birth certificate, it should be fine.

There was a couple articles where AMERICAN TSA agents denied people boarding on domestic flights because they didn't accept a valid LAMINATED District of Columbia Drivers license. There was a lack of communication somewhere, and DC licenses got skipped, for some reason, so several TSA agents, denied boarding to several passengers because they didn't recognize DC as a state issued identification.

My suggestion here, is find something official in your State's DMV that clearly says paper licenses are issued until the permanent ones come in. If you give them a chain to follow, they usually will easily. Absent that, maybe you might get something signed by a manager of the DMV stating this is the state's legal document, albeit, a temporary one.

Second suggestion, is to expedite a passport. You can get one in days, if you're willing to pay the extra money.

A couple years ago, they were checking ID in Nassau before boarding the ship.

Thanks. the paper (both myself and my wife have) we did not tear it apart and fold for the wallet like they said we could do, the sides (that would have been torn off and thrown away, says " you should receive your permanent drivers license by mail with 20 business days, if you do not . . . please call...)

I plan on keeping it like that, as well as the copy of the paperwork we filled out for the new DL....I certainly hope it is enough.

We have had at mulitiple ports where we were told we need to take our Photo Id's with us and they were checked by port authorities not the cruiseline check in. We have sailed to so many ports that I couldn't tell you which ones did and which ones didn't but I do know the cruise lines warned you before you got off if you would need your photo ID to get through the port.

I agree with this. You need your photo ID plus S & S card to get through the security area. When you get on the ship, you only need your S & S card.

OK... So here is the story . . .

We moved into a new state a couple of months back. Although, you are supposed to get a new DL within 30 days I procrastinated and went today to get them for me and my wife.

At DMV...fill out forms, get new picture taken... get handed a PAPER DRIVERS LICENSE....Then get told it will be 20 business days until the new card arrives. I leave in less than that. I asked about cancelling the new DL and they kinda just laughed about it and said everything would be fine.

Does anyone know if these paper drivers license will work to get on board. The DMV said they would work for any cruise, flight, etc. but I am a little scared to bet my vacation on it. The Paper DL has my picture, a watermark, and bar scan code on the back...

I'm sending you good "vibes" that your DL will arrive way before your cruise.

Hello Charles,

Thank you for contacting us. We appreciate the opportunity to be of assistance.

Unacceptable Forms of Documentation

Copies of any of the WHTI-Compliant documents

Driver's License as the only proof

A temporary driver’s license

Voter's Registration Card

Baptismal Papers

U.S. Military I.D and a Photo I.D

A Dependent Military I.D that is issued to the spouse and children of Military Personnel is not acceptable

U.S. Military Discharge Papers

· No Record of Birth certificate: a certificate issued by the Department of Health and Vital Statistics showing that they have no records on this person

Hospital Certificate: hospital-Issued birth notice / live record of birth / announcement of birth from a hospital

Photo Identification

A non-expired Government-Issued Photo I.D is required of all guests 16 years of age and older. The following are acceptable:

Drivers License

Drivers Permit

School/Student I.D (acceptable for guests 16/17/18 years of age)

Government-Issued identification card (city/state/federal