Carry-on baggage question

threeboyz

My husband and I have been going in circles trying to decide what is the best option for our hand carry luggage while on the land tour. A friend gave us a small rolling bag to bring. It measures 17x13x8 but isn't really soft-sided. From what I am reading within the tour paperwork, it states that the bag shouldn't be more than 17x14x4 and needs to be soft-sided.

This bag works perfectly for carrying my camera equipment on the plane and then would become the clothing bag for the land tour. Camera equipment would then be shifted to a backpack. We would then only have two bags for the bus/train rides. If we don't bring it, we will then have a smaller bag with clothes as well as my backpack.

Is this a doable size bag or does it really need to be soft-sided bag with the exact measurements they state?

Thanks in advance!

Well, you are not the only one, three boyz. We went round and round as well and just chose our backpacks. They were a little heavy and uncomfortable, but we thought that was what would work.

I will share, however, that there were several who took larger bags for the land. Remember, it will stay with you ALL day, needs to have your meds, your rain gear, maybe dry socks and your snacks as well as your camera.

Here is the rub: we knew our follow me luggage would only be accessible at night, but we were shocked at Captain Cook,that they would come in our room at 6 am, not wake us, but get that luggage.

Ok, we needed our rest as our voyage from KY was very strenuous and nerve wracking. However, where would we put our pj's, toiletries, including makeup, etc. if our bags were picked up at 6 and we didn't depart until later in the day?

Our back packs would not hold all that so we had to get out of bed and sit in the hotel for boring hours. Miserable. Our train was roomy and the buses not so, but the overhead bins were ok.

Enjoy

I am not overly concerned about them grabbing the bags early (although coming into the room and just taking them would be a problem!) as I will probably be up; six am Alaska time is 10 am our time.

I am more concerned about space for the bag we want to bring. My husband and I can probably fit a change of clothing and bathroom bags for both of us in the one our friend gave us. I would then also have my backpack with my camera equipment. If we don't bring this bag, we would have 3 bags to bring on the bus and/or train. My backpack and two smaller bags with a change of clothing for each of us.

We are just at a loss as to what is the easiest since the bag size we borrowed is a little over the size recommended.

That is another of the main advantages of doing your own land tour with your own car instead of booking the ship's tour.

You only take a small bag into the hotel/motel/b&b each night.

In the morning, you are not tied to someone else's schedule so you get up and leave whenever you are ready.

One morning you may want to hit the road early and another you may feel like sleeping in.

You stop when and where you wish, for as long as you like, and do not need to wait for 40 other people to re-board at each stop.

Excited to hear about your cruise to Alaska. We are going next August. Enjoy!:)

:)

My husband and I have been going in circles trying to decide what is the best option for our hand carry luggage while on the land tour. A friend gave us a small rolling bag to bring. It measures 17x13x8 but isn't really soft-sided. From what I am reading within the tour paperwork, it states that the bag shouldn't be more than 17x14x4 and needs to be soft-sided.

This bag works perfectly for carrying my camera equipment on the plane and then would become the clothing bag for the land tour. Camera equipment would then be shifted to a backpack. We would then only have two bags for the bus/train rides. If we don't bring it, we will then have a smaller bag with clothes as well as my backpack.

Is this a doable size bag or does it really need to be soft-sided bag with the exact measurements they state?

Thanks in advance!