Better to book a Gondola ride or not ?

scotslizzy

Booking ahead is actually not a good idea. Gondolas are expensive (expect to pay about 100 Euros) so you want to take one at the perfect time which is going to be governed by your own schedule, weather (very important) and time of day. When you want to take a Gondola you just stop at any of the many Gondola piers (scattered all over Venice) and made a deal! We also suggest stopping by a local store that sells wine, buy a bottle of nice Italian vino, have them pull the cork, and ask for a couple of plastic wine glasses (very common). Then, when you are riding through the back canals in your Gondola you can be sipping some wine :).

Hank

One more question please . I see there are lots of offers on website for Gondola rides .Are these better /worse or worth a look .

And can you really strike a deal with the Gondoliers ?

Thanks

Scotslizzy

No, the ones online are not better. If you are lucky they are the same. Trust me that there are no shortage of Gondolas and by choosing one at the time, you can choose the one that looks nice to you and also have a chance to chat with the gondolier before you make a commitment. If you do not like the man, just look to another gondola. And yes, you can try to negotiate although it does not usually work. Any chance of getting a reduced rate (or a longer ride) is going to depend a lot on supply and demand.

Also keep in mind that a Gondola can cram in up to 6 persons (which is what many cruise lines do with their Gondola tours) but the price is for the entire Gondola...not per person. When DW and I do take one of these overpriced boats we like being by ourselves with some wine...and going at dusk. It can be quite romantic.

Hank

One more question please . I see there are lots of offers on website for Gondola rides .Are these better /worse or worth a look .

And can you really strike a deal with the Gondoliers ?

Thanks

Scotslizzy

There are different lengths of time. I think ours was one hour (the longest time). It was €120 for five of us, picked up from Rialto. We paid the officially posted rate. The gondoliers are not rich, so I did not want to penny pinch.

We had a wonderful commentary and it was amusing to listen to the banter between gondoliers as they met in the narrow backwaters. He also sang to us.

Many of the offers you see on web sites are shared rides. They might be cheaper but instead of a nice ride for the 2 of you, you'll be sharing the gondola with a few strangers. Might be ok, might not be.

There are gondola piers scattered all over Venice. Wait until you're there and can decide on what kind of experience you want ... a busy traffic area on the Grand Canal , or a quiet side canal ? Depending on how busy they are, they may or may not negotiate their price.

Good info about gondolas, pricing, etc in this link. (ride in a traghetto, also in this link); a stripped down gondola that takes you across the canal at locations where there isn't a bridge, only 2e . )

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/gallivanting_by_gondola.htm