Wine tastings

BonnieSte

Yes. There are different ones. One is an ordinary one ("grapevine wine tasting") that costs $9.50 and serves bottles that are on the menu for under $30. There's a fancier one ("maitre d' wine tasting") with higher-priced bottles at a different time that costs more. They serve better food at that one. In addition, the ships with Vines wine bars will have special events with limited seating in which they pair food and wine. The Royal and Regal have special winemakers dinners that cost $40.

Edited by geoherb

• 2 weeks later...
Two to choose from - the one for just under $10 and the one for $25, and then there is Vines Wine Bar where you can do wine flights, and also a Stamtisch (spelling?) event.

Could you offer more info about the wine flights and the "Stamtisch"(sp?) event you mention? I'm curious about what this entails. Do they offer different flights of wine throughout the cruise - or is it simply a pre-determined 3 wines that they offer as a sampler that doesn't change.

Is this offered on all ships or just the large ships? I'm looking specifically at the Grand. Thanks to whomever can answer!

Yes. There are different ones. One is an ordinary one ("grapevine wine tasting") that costs $9.50 and serves bottles that are on the menu for under $30. There's a fancier one ("maitre d' wine tasting") with higher-priced bottles at a different time that costs more. They serve better food at that one. In addition, the ships with Vines wine bars will have special events with limited seating in which they pair food and wine. The Royal and Regal have special winemakers dinners that cost $40.

Surely you joking about better food. :D:D

Stammtisch is very limited, but very good. $15 per person at Vines, you should sign up as soon as you get on, if you are interested. Last cruise I was on they had an Old World and a New World version. It is usually 10-12 passengers and they hold it at a large high-top in Vines. The wines are accompanied by individual plates at each setting, loaded with prosciutto, dried fruits, nice cheeses, etc. They usually instruct you as to what wine goes with which thing on your plate. There were four wines at each event and they were better quality and more generous pours than the one in the dining room. (The Maitre' D one will usually have one higher priced wine, but you'll be lucky if they give you enough to actually taste it, plus that tasting is $25) I highly recommend it, the intimate setting, makes a good opportunity to make new friends.

Stammtisch is very limited, but very good. $15 per person at Vines, you should sign up as soon as you get on, if you are interested. Last cruise I was on they had an Old World and a New World version. It is usually 10-12 passengers and they hold it at a large high-top in Vines. The wines are accompanied by individual plates at each setting, loaded with prosciutto, dried fruits, nice cheeses, etc. They usually instruct you as to what wine goes with which thing on your plate. There were four wines at each event and they were better quality and more generous pours than the one in the dining room. (The Maitre' D one will usually have one higher priced wine, but you'll be lucky if they give you enough to actually taste it, plus that tasting is $25) I highly recommend it, the intimate setting, makes a good opportunity to make new friends.

Thanks! That sounds rather interesting. I assume I would need to go directly to Vines to reserve a spot for this (assuming it is offered on my sailing)?

We always go right to Vines and sign up, sometimes they have to page the wine manager to get on the list, but they happily show up. It is not widely known or advertised yet, so most times it doesn't usually fill up quickly, but I don't get it. If you are a wine lover, it is one of the biggest bargains on the ship. We love it because they are informative, but not snobby. I learned more from Alan, the wine manager on the Ruby, than any wine tasting I've ever been to and he didn't drone on while you are staring at your glass hoping for a sip. They did have a couple on the 5 day western caribbean in February.