Flowers, Chocolates, Qtips missing Oh My..

waterlizard

People keep talking about the millions cruise companies are saving on chocolates, but lets actually look at the sums.

Lets assume X carry 25,000 passengers at any given time across the fleet [and it would appear it is a lot less than that] and 2 cents per chocolate that's $500 a day so about $183,000 a year. I doubt, that with the volumes they buy, they pay 2cents per.

Not Millions, but not exactly chump change either

So let's look at these numbers with less assumptions

The Celebrity fleet can carry 25,031 passengers if every ship sails once per year and is full. We also have to consider how many nights each cruise is to see how many chocolates we need for a sold out ship.

The info below is straight from X's site regarding the number of pax that can be held and number of nights sailed....I used Jan 2015 - Dec 2015

Xpedition...98 pax....82 nights scheduled for 2015

Century...1814 pax...223 nights scheduled

Constellation...2170 pax...326 nights scheduled

Infinity...2170 pax....622 nights scheduled

Millennium...2138 pax...691 nights scheduled

Summit...2158 pax...105 nights scheduled

Eclipse...2850 pax...520 nights scheduled

Equinox...2850 pax....244 nights scheduled

Silhouette...2886 pax...418 nights scheduled

Solstice....2850 pax....418 nights scheduled

Reflection...3046 pax....195 nights scheduled

total pax capacity...25,031

total nights scheduled for 2015....3,844

total number of chocolates needed for 2015....96,291,164

cost of chocolates at $.02 ea....$1,924,328.28

it wasn't millions...but I was pretty close at a first guess...and this is assuming the $.02/ea price

I understand that every ship doesn't sail full, but that have to write a plan as if it will. Many of these chocolates will be already purchased meaning their money is tied up in something and can't be used elsewhere. Many are being stored off site...possibly even at the manufacturer...if stored there, they are paying a storage fee. We also haven't even touched on the possibility of better fuel economy due to the less weight on board.

I'm not trying to tear anyone's vacation apart nor am I trying to belittle your wishes for past service. What I am trying to show is real dollars and cents and say I would rather have that $2million invested in better accommodations, different food options, upgraded this and that.

I am curious....in the post cruise survey, does it ask about the chocolates(or something similar) or do those who are upset about these 'cut backs' voice your opinions to the Cruise Director or directly to -X-?

So Elites get roses and Elite+ don't? That does not make sense. I thought Elite+ was all benefits of Elite plus extras.

As for the q-tips and cotton balls I did use them and now will have to bring my own as the vanity packs just don't cut it. I would need 3 each day and I guess I could ask for them to leave 3 each day but the cotton balls seemed small.

It does seem like these little cuts are starting to add up, taking away from the ambiance and overall feeling of being pampered and feeling special.

Food has been hit and miss on Celebrity now for few years (although has gotten a bit better) so I hope they are taking all that money they are saving and putting it back into the MDR.

I'll bring my own Godiva or Lindt chocolates and Q-tips, but I can't bring my own a capella singers. I really missed them on our April cruise on Eclipse. I really do feel bad about cuts that involve live entertainment. The a capella group was something unique to Celebrity.

I'm not sure, but I think the orchestra has lost a musician or two also in recent years. I dread the day that Celebrity decides pre-recorded music for all of the theater shows will be cheaper and easier.

Chocolates, bouquets of flowers, a sparkling wine to greet guests as they board the ship may not be essential to the cruise, but they were niceties I appreciated. Losing those little treats makes me wonder what will be lost next...maybe the cold towels and cold water outside the ship for guests returning from excursions, maybe robes, who knows what else? Maybe a service charge added for room service? Maybe an extra charge for song and dance shows? Maybe a daily charge to use the gym? Maybe a rental charge for poolside deck chairs?

They stopped giving welcome drinks upon boarding the ship? When was your cruise that didn't have it? I thought I just read some current reviews where they go this. Possibly your cruise was a one off or maybe they ran out.

We are Elite+ as well. No Captains Club rose on our Infinity cruise in July. However, our friends who are Elite got one and we had the same cabin attendant.

$1.50 rose is too much to pay for the truly loyal guests. How embarrassing since I have been a cheerleader for Celebrity for 15 years. Jerry

Possibly it was an honest oversight. Did you ask about it? Were you told you couldn't have one?

These small things, like flowers, bathroom niceties, belgian chocolate, Ice buckets are some of what set cheaper hotels from the nicer ones. There is also a change in dining staff and quality of food over a few years. Entertainment costs are also cut.

If all anyone cares about is someone making the bed, there really are less expensive cruises.

Since the stock is at an all time high, I expect the issue is to make more money, not stay in the black.

Am I sweating no, but I do notice.

Yes, the difference between elegance and commonplace is often the little things. When they stop handing out the cheap sparkling wine at boarding, we will see what is important and what is not. The howls will be heard from Ft. Lauderdale to Oshkosh:eek:

I always thought Cruise Critic was about asking for/giving information. I'd like to thank the OP for letting me know what to expect, and therefore what I need to pack for my cruise next week. I hate it when people belittle someone for passing on information. If it doesn't bother you, move on.

Just one question though - do you still get the fruit tray in AQ? We had one in February and I was very grateful for the green apple on our first night, as the weather wasn't great!

Thanks

Yes, but not as much. You can ask for anything you want. I know in my cabin, I got some fruit I liked and ate and others that just had to be thrown away. I'm happy to be able to request only that fruit that I like, instead of getting things that are wasted.

I miss the pitcher of ice water being in the room when I arrived. (In its place is a large bottle of water with a card saying this will cost you $5.00) Now that is a real welcome! :( I also do not like the fact that the ice bucket has been removed, and if you want ice service, you need to ask!

To me, removing these items, was very "petty" on Celebrity's part. I feel sorry for the new cruiser who does not know that they can ASK for ice service.

Just small things, I know, but they all add up.

Beth, our butler told us that the ice buckets were removed because of cross contamination. I think that is so they don't start a noro virus on board. I agree that it seems silly not to put free water in suites as it is free to aqua guests I solved that problem by having the beverage package. I get a big bottle of water at one of the bars on my way back to my room.

Pat

I don't think anyone flamed the OP for posting, but we too are entitled to our opinions about the post and changes. I'd also add it was not so much a post informing sailors the items are gone, but a post lamenting the missed items. "Oh My" and "Where is Celebrity Heading" are the comments that open the OP up to the commentary.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Thank you, you are so correct. It seems that some feel that if one has a different opinion, that they are flaming or attacking. Everyone has an opinion and at times they may differ and that is okay. If we all thought and like the same things, it would be a pretty dull world.

20pluscruises...I know I am curious. Hoping it did not bother your cruising experience.

The thing that bothered me ..I saw exactly what they did and they bold face lied to me...could have easily said it was a mistake and fixed it. I'm going to give them 60 days to respond before spilling...I feel this is more than fair.

Yeah. That would be better than the horrible conditions the OP must be dealing with. No flower, pillow chocolates, Q-tips and cotton balls - oh, the horror of it all!!!! How the cruise lines can think that people can survive without these absolute necessities is beyond me. :eek:

I am calling Celebrity right now and cancelling all my future cruises. That will teach the bastards! :mad:

And no surprise, I recognize several of the posters who agree with the OP as part of an exclusive club of habitual chronic complainers who would never pass up an opportunity to criticize Celebrity about anything. :rolleyes:

(And that last comment is definitely sarcasm, and not in a fun way)

Not flames??

Just curious. Is this flaming, sarcasm, or insult.

Beth, our butler told us that the ice buckets were removed because of cross contamination. I think that is so they don't start a noro virus on board. I agree that it seems silly not to put free water in suites as it is free to aqua guests I solved that problem by having the beverage package. I get a big bottle of water at one of the bars on my way back to my room.

Pat

Thanks for that, Pat. I would have thought that the ice buckets would be cleaned between each cruise anyway. :confused: It's just one more thing I have to now put on my list for the cabin attendant. I also stock water bottles using the beverage package.

Are you still sailing on 11/24 as well? If so, I will see you for the b2b. :)

So let's look at these numbers with less assumptions

The Celebrity fleet can carry 25,031 passengers if every ship sails once per year and is full. We also have to consider how many nights each cruise is to see how many chocolates we need for a sold out ship.

The info below is straight from X's site regarding the number of pax that can be held and number of nights sailed....I used Jan 2015 - Dec 2015

Xpedition...98 pax....82 nights scheduled for 2015

Century...1814 pax...223 nights scheduled

Constellation...2170 pax...326 nights scheduled

Infinity...2170 pax....622 nights scheduled

Millennium...2138 pax...691 nights scheduled

Summit...2158 pax...105 nights scheduled

Eclipse...2850 pax...520 nights scheduled

Equinox...2850 pax....244 nights scheduled

Silhouette...2886 pax...418 nights scheduled

Solstice....2850 pax....418 nights scheduled

Reflection...3046 pax....195 nights scheduled

total pax capacity...25,031

total nights scheduled for 2015....3,844

total number of chocolates needed for 2015....96,291,164

cost of chocolates at $.02 ea....$1,924,328.28

it wasn't millions...but I was pretty close at a first guess...and this is assuming the $.02/ea price

I understand that every ship doesn't sail full, but that have to write a plan as if it will. Many of these chocolates will be already purchased meaning their money is tied up in something and can't be used elsewhere. Many are being stored off site...possibly even at the manufacturer...if stored there, they are paying a storage fee. We also haven't even touched on the possibility of better fuel economy due to the less weight on board.

I'm not trying to tear anyone's vacation apart nor am I trying to belittle your wishes for past service. What I am trying to show is real dollars and cents and say I would rather have that $2million invested in better accommodations, different food options, upgraded this and that.

I am curious....in the post cruise survey, does it ask about the chocolates(or something similar) or do those who are upset about these 'cut backs' voice your opinions to the Cruise Director or directly to -X-?

Am I missing something?

Celebrity has 11 ships. Total pax load at 100% is 25,031 (your numbers)

There are 365 days in the year if all ships are sailing every day (with dry docks, they aren't, but thats minor)

That is 365 x 25,031 pax days which totals 9,136,315 total pax carried at full capacity.

At .02 per piece, that is $182,726

Please feel free to correct my math. I think you are off by a factor of 90%

I'm still waiting to hear a response from my online comment card...a MAJOR cut that nobody has seemed to notice. I did, and am quite surprised Celebrity haven't responded. I would like to hear from them before I post what happened...

On you next cruise, if you find something really egregious, try filling out an "Attention to Detail" card (or lack thereof). Sometimes this will get an immediate reaction from the Hotel Director. They DO read those! :)

On you next cruise, if you find something really egregious, try filling out an "Attention to Detail" card (or lack thereof). Sometimes this will get an immediate reaction from the Hotel Director. They DO read those! :)

I think it is actually encouraged...a cost cutting measure

Just off the Solstice - had chocolate 1st formal night, towel animals 2 nights, a rose from Captain' Club - no bottle of water anywhere and that was a good thing as it was always in the way.

We don't really miss the little things, but the best thing about this thread is that we now know our cabin stewards are not slacking off when little things are missing ;)

I always value the observations of returning posters who notice the changes from previous voyages. I find most of the attacks come from those who have never or seldom experienced many Celebrity cruises. Celebrity offered small touches superior to NCL and Carnival and Princess and Royal that set them above the others. Each small cut brings X closer to average.

The great majority of cruises are now more expensive than they were last year but the cuts, even minor ones continue. Posters who have never even stepped foot on a Celebrity can only offer ridicule to people who are aware of the changes.

Opinions do not have equal weight. One's cruise history is very important to give a perspective to observations. We all have our own perspective on what enhances our cruising experience. Just because one does not agree there is no need to attack the poster for making an observation.[/

Well said.

I think it is a mistake to assume any cost savings is going to an enhancement elsewhere. Unless Celebrity say so, that is wishful thinking. In the modern corporate world that savings goes to stockholders and bonuses. If celebrity is determined to cut the special touches to below or equal to other premium brands, then who they are and how they brand themselves has shifted. Absolutely it will give short term gains, who knows about the long term.

Hi all,

We can confirm that we will no longer have nightly chocolates. However, we will occasionally have chocolate covered Oreos on the first Formal night of each sailing.

Sorry - not impressed. "Occasionally"??? I wonder who decides when that generosity will appear on one's pillow? They probably pay 2 cents per 1,000 for those! :eek:

At the risk of putting both feet right in it ...

Chocolates roses, q tips, ice buckets, etc etc .... They are all nice things to have, and once you've had them, it's only human nature to look forward to, and expect them, again. When they don't appear, it is disappointing, and it makes us worry about what's next to go.

I've been a little surprised to be told there is no shower gel anymore on Eclipse! But, I've packed some for DH cause he isn't a fan of bars of soap, and as we are sailing from the UK it's no biggie to add two lots of gel to the ever increasing mound of stuff to be packed!

But, and this is my point really ... It's not just Celebrity, these changes, cuts, reductions, call them what you will, are taking place across the board. We've seen the size of the Cunard pillow chocolates literally shrink before our eyes! One night they were the regular size, the next, half the size! They'd swapped them over mid voyage! Royal Caribbean phased them out completely some years ago. We've seen the rise of refillable wall dispensers for toiletries on certain lines. There have been smaller portions in the MDR, less good quality cuts of meat, a distinct veering of guests towards the paid for speciality restsurants by cutting down the offerings in the MDR ... I can go on, you get my drift.

But, it's not only the cruise industry this happens in. We've been to hotels year after year and seen some of them improve, but others, more often than not, decline in terms of offering and quality. And I'm not talking about roses and q tips and chocs here! They are, really, quite minor details. And in the space of one year, we went from raving about a certai river cruise company and it's amazing service, food, cleanliness and overall product, to find that by the next year, having flooded the market with new ships, they couldn't keep the same standards going. And that was within the space of 12 months.

Change happens. It's usually driven by cost, bottom lines and share holders. It's a fact of life. But it's cruise industry wide, so I'm afraid that whilst the good news is, Celebrity isn't the only ones doing it, the bad news is ... celebrity isn't the only ones doing it!!

Things rarely improve from a height of excellence. The odds are, they can only go downhill. It's just the reality of life, peeps.

Change happens. It's usually driven by cost, bottom lines and share holders. It's a fact of life.

And because people want those really inexpensive cruises, that so many report they get on here.

We have two choices. (1) Keep the fares as they are and lose a little of the things or (2) raise the prices for our cruises and put back the chocolates, q-tips, cotton balls, flowers, etc. I'm sure Celebrity would love to hear from all of those that want things like they were back when and that they are willing to pay more for their cruises. I'm not sure Celebrity will hear from many, because many of those that miss the little extra things are also complaining about the prices. I dare say that Celebrity is in a no win situation for some.

Just off the Solstice - had chocolate 1st formal night, towel animals 2 nights, a rose from Captain' Club - no bottle of water anywhere and that was a good thing as it was always in the way.

We don't really miss the little things, but the best thing about this thread is that we now know our cabin stewards are not slacking off when little things are missing ;)

Did you have q tips and cotton. We are sailing the Solstice in 3 weeks. I am revamping my packing list to include items no longer offered on board.

Sorry - not impressed. "Occasionally"??? I wonder who decides when that generosity will appear on one's pillow? They probably pay 2 cents per 1,000 for those! :eek:

Apologies, every sailing will have chocolate covered Oreos on the first formal night. We wrote occasionally because longer sailings may receive them multiple times.

Did you have q tips and cotton. We are sailing the Solstice in 3 weeks. I am revamping my packing list to include items no longer offered on board.

I would bring my own Qtips and cotton anyway. Could not bring myself to use the ones provided as I could/would not put them anywhere near my face knowing they were probably handled by the many previous occupants of the cabin:eek:

Hi all,

We can confirm that we will no longer have nightly chocolates. However, we will occasionally have chocolate covered Oreos on the first Formal night of each sailing.

Thanks for posting but I am much more concerned about the cotton wool balls and cotton buds [qtips]. Can you confirm if the pots of these have been removed from all rooms [particularly the PHs], please, as I shall have to pack some if they have? I would prefer not to have to as the little pots are so much more convenient. Thanks.