A different view on Changed LCV Benefits

cat616

But unless I've missed something, I am not sure that those upgraded as a result of a successful $398 upgrade bid will be awarded Cruise Points based upon the new, higher level of accommodation or the cabin category originally purchased... On some cruise lines, those who receive complimentary upgrades--and I realize that these are not complimentary but they're not full price either--do not earn additional loyalty recognition when "points" are determined--in total or in part--based upon stateroom level...

I think you are correct. Just as an aside back in April I upgraded from a balcony to a suite at the pier and when I returned home saw that I had only received points for a balcony which I queried. I was told via LCV in the UK (after delay because the link on the website had the wrong email address on it) that because it was a special deal I wouldn't get the points for a suite. I paid $1700 for the upgrade and that has left a rather nasty taste in my mouth. In addition I booked a balcony on a follow on cruise onboard Journey in June to do the Baltic after Norway and haven't had any points at all for that and need to follow it up. It's all such an effort with Azamara at the moment to get anything done. The cruises themselves were wonderful.

Phil

But unless I've missed something, I am not sure that those upgraded as a result of a successful $398 upgrade bid will be awarded Cruise Points based upon the new, higher level of accommodation or the cabin category originally purchased... On some cruise lines, those who receive complimentary upgrades--and I realize that these are not complimentary but they're not full price either--do not earn additional loyalty recognition when "points" are determined--in total or in part--based upon stateroom level...

You are probably right about this.

Does any one know what Azamara means by general marketplace promotions?

But I suspect that definition of the term "general marketplace promotions" itself and the opportunity to combine them with upgrade possibility are both very narrowly defined if defined and determined at all right now... Azamara's Reps may be winging it pending direction--wouldn't be the first time--and are perhaps unwittingly testing guest reaction based on supervisory instruction... It's pretty clear that the experience reported by Sparkle 123 above suggests that the terms as published are in conflict with how eligibility is now being interpreted ["general marketplace promotions" = "no promotions"]... Not a good sign in terms of providing a truly tangible benefit--by definition, it had very limited applicability at best; the practice diminishes that opportunity even more--to LCV members in any number in the near term and, unless current promotional practices are significantly curtailed and/or eliminated [yikes!], in the longer term...

Rarely is there an Azamara cruise that is not advertised --on their website and/or via their Travel Partners; to my mind, those are "general marketplace promotions"--as entailing some sort of cabin upgrade [which tend to cause availability of veranda category cabins to become sparse--if not totally sold out--prematurely] or reduced pricing scheme... And rarer--I would suggest--is the guest currently booked who didn't do so under one of those promos...

The few sailings--if any--that have never been part of such a promotion are those that have been selling briskly with, at best, limited cabin availability so as to provide remote chance of upgrade possibility in any case...

So yet again this exciting new benefit--unless brand leadership provides more reasonable interpretation of what constitutes a "general marketplace promotion" [their words] in the near term and/or changes promotional strategy in the future--seems to be specious [akin to promising "Free Days" to those for whom it is statistically impossible to earn them]...

The Emperor has new clothes! I have never contributed to the discussions on this forum as to Azamara's long-term viability--didn't even want to think about the prospect--but can't help but wonder if these actions aren't an attempt by RCCL Corporate Leadership to redirect established guests back to Celebrity [the primary source of Azamara's most loyal guest base] and "lock them in"--especially with X's new suite benefits which replicate many of the Azamara hallmarks--while still a voluntary alternative...

These are called "upsells"' where you pay something for an upgraded cabin at less than it would have cost if you booked that cabin in the first place.

HAL does not award the double points (in their loyalty program there are double points for booking a suite), for those who have paid for an upgrade.

Edited by Jade13

But I suspect that definition of the term "general marketplace promotions" itself and the opportunity to combine them with upgrade possibility are both very narrowly defined if defined and determined at all right now... Azamara's Reps may be winging it pending direction--wouldn't be the first time--and are perhaps unwittingly testing guest reaction based on supervisory instruction... It's pretty clear that the experience reported by Sparkle 123 above suggests that the terms as published are in conflict with how eligibility is now being interpreted ["general marketplace promotions" = "no promotions"]... Not a good sign in terms of providing a truly tangible benefit--by definition, it had very limited applicability at best; the practice diminishes that opportunity even more--to LCV members in any number in the near term and, unless current promotional practices are significantly curtailed and/or eliminated [yikes!], in the longer term...

Rarely is there an Azamara cruise that is not advertised --on their website and/or via their Travel Partners; to my mind, those are "general marketplace promotions"--as entailing some sort of cabin upgrade [which tend to cause availability of veranda category cabins to become sparse--if not totally sold out--prematurely] or reduced pricing scheme... And rarer--I would suggest--is the guest currently booked who didn't do so under one of those promos...

The few sailings--if any--that have never been part of such a promotion are those that have been selling briskly with, at best, limited cabin availability so as to provide remote chance of upgrade possibility in any case...

So yet again this exciting new benefit--unless brand leadership provides more reasonable interpretation of what constitutes a "general marketplace promotion" [their words] in the near term and/or changes promotional strategy in the future--seems to be specious [akin to promising "Free Days" to those for whom it is statistically impossible to earn them]...

The Emperor has new clothes! I have never contributed to the discussions on this forum as to Azamara's long-term viability--didn't even want to think about the prospect--but can't help but wonder if these actions aren't an attempt by RCCL Corporate Leadership to redirect established guests back to Celebrity [the primary source of Azamara's most loyal guest base] and "lock them in"--especially with X's new suite benefits which replicate many of the Azamara hallmarks--while still a voluntary alternative...

I just see it as a fancy way of saying Azamara is not giving upgrade only letting PAX think they can get one.

I understand/recognize the "upsell" concept and have never been confused about Azamara's fancy new name for them!

I do wish--and intended to say so earlier--that Azamara call them what they are and save us the charade of having to apply for them when they're so unlikely to occur... Instead, do as other cruise lines do and phone or e-mail eligible guests under a tight deadline for acceptance/payment--with a $398 offer based upon accumulated Cruise Points and original booking [rather than application] date if adhering to now published criteria and if touting the possibility as a loyalty benefit--if/when availability exists...

As conceptualized, the whole thing is cumbersome from a member perspective--it shouldn't saddle him/her with additional administration--and could lead to a very pleasant surprise rather than a source of disappointment if application is made unsuccessfully...

I have friends who are both Discover Platinum on Azamara and Zenith on Celebrity (yes, they sail a lot and always in suites). No matter how many more times they sail with Azamara they will get NO free nights and NO benefit from the “enhancements”, but will lose benefits. With Celebrity’s recent and announced future upgrades to suite benefits they see that as a much better program, but they are seriously considering moving to an entirely different premium or luxury line.

Another friend would have become Discover Plus with an expensively priced Azamara Christmas cruise. Realizing that they would be missing out on 6 free nights by doing this prior to 2015, they are in the process of canceling that cruise for something else.

I have recently passed the threshold to be Discover Plus, and it is a LONG way to Discover Platinum. Someone new to Azamra could accrue 750 points and get 2 free nights plus 4 free nights plus 6 free nights for a total of 12 free nights by the time they got to Discover Plus. I could accrue 750 points almost THREE TIMES and still get absolutely ZERO free nights. When I finally accrued another 2250 points I get fewer free nights than the newbie got for 750 points. What a great concept: be less loyal, get more benefits. It sounds like I need to look for a new cruise line program to join (or join Witness Protection and start over with Azamara).

Does Azamara have a Vice President for Insulting our Most Loyal Customers who thought up this “enhanced” program? It seems like it. I feel sorry for Azamara Joel who has to read all the complaints, while his boss VP for Insulting is depositing his bonus check for saving the company a nickel.

Thom

Loyalty programs that require the consumer to do lots of research and math to figure how how best to use the benefits are a huge turn off for many people. I think that is part of the plan. It is so complicated that many people don't bother. The company has to pay out less.

One example for me is the Airmiles program in Canada. With a bit of work you can learn the airmiles are worth half of what they used to be and the program gets more and more confusing and complicated. I have switched my credit card to one which gives relatively simple 2% benefits.

There is no easy straight forward incentive to book with Azamara and I do not like the idea that I have to think of having to commit to taking several cruises to get any real benefits.

Even if you book your cruise 2 years before the actual sailing the upgrade request wont be processed until 2-4 weeks before the sailing. By that point normally there are very few high level cabins available. It will be VERY hard to get the suite upgrade. Also unless you are Discoverer Plus or Platinum you wont get it either.....

If you think you will get anything above deck 6, I have a bridge for sale.

After reading the LCV benefits page and reading the postings, I am confused as to who might benefit from the changes. Probably not me. getting 50% of your points on Azamara compared to Celebrity is not possible for me. I starting cruising on Celebrity almost 20 years ago and still cruise Celebrity. There is no way for me to get 50% of my points on Azamara as I reach the next level. Do the math. For people who have been loyal Celebrity cruisers before there was an Azamara option, the new free nights is a joke. Sadly, the most loyal cruisers lose out on free nights. It's hard to make this stuff up. Did anyone think this through before they posted the new scheme?

I understand/recognize the "upsell" concept and have never been confused about Azamara's fancy new name for them!

I do wish--and intended to say so earlier--that Azamara call them what they are and save us the charade of having to apply for them when they're so unlikely to occur... Instead, do as other cruise lines do and phone or e-mail eligible guests under a tight deadline for acceptance/payment--with a $398 offer based upon accumulated Cruise Points and original booking [rather than application] date if adhering to now published criteria and if touting the possibility as a loyalty benefit--if/when availability exists...

As conceptualized, the whole thing is cumbersome from a member perspective--it shouldn't saddle him/her with additional administration--and could lead to a very pleasant surprise rather than a source of disappointment if application is made unsuccessfully...

Completely agree.