I have a dream...of a new Radiance class!

kwazi07

This has been mentioned many times on these boards. Many people love the idea of a new Radiance class ship. Based on the Mille prototype by Fincantieri (not Royal's usual builder, they seem to use STX), a slightly larger Radiance class ship could be built. The plan (here http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-magazine/feature-magazine-articles/67-articles/9453.html) says it could be 100,000 tons, which is 10,000 tons larger than the current Radiance class. Here is my vision:

The expanded promenade (not mentioned in the article but mentioned in other articles) could be used a downslcaled Boardwalk. Similar to the NCL Breakaway/Getaway promenade, there could be restaurants and bars along the Boardwalk. Being lower and fully open to the sea, I think it might create a more realistic Boardwalk feel versus the Oasis/Allure Boardwalk.

The top deck could be the Central Park. In the article, it mentions that there would be no top deck pool. However, in the new MSC ship it does have a top deck pool. I think a pool integrated with Central Park would be interesting--not right in the middle but maybe off to the side. It could even look like a pond!

As for the pools, the MSC design has a pool down in the aft, with a few decks of balconies overlooking it. This is an interesting design. That could be one pool and the other one is the Central Park pool. The only issue is the Solarium. With the Radiance class visiting Alaska frequently, an enclosed Solarium is a must. Possibly it could be in the bow?! :confused:

The bars and lounges could be a combo of all of the usual lounges. Perhaps there could be some new ones. Of course, all of them would have a great view.

NO RP. That is not what the Radiance class ships are about IMHO.

If DD works out, that is what the restaurants would be like.

For the staterooms, the OV balconies might overlook 'Boardwalk' as well. Some might overlook the pool (like on MSC) which does not seam ideal. The only problem with the Mille design is that there are no truly private balconies. You could easily look up on them. :eek:

That is what I think would be amazing. Feel free to add in or criticize, I don't mind. And just to be clear, this is by no means a rumor for Royal Caribbean. I just thought it would be interesting if Royal did it. :):D

Edited by kwazi07

That is a shame. Does RCI even look on these boards :rolleyes:

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Sure they do, but public opinion tends to be trumped by shareholder interest. They make more money when they shoehorn more people onto the ship. The trend among all the mass market lines is to create ships with ever-worsening space to passenger ratios. That's why you're unlikely to see another Radiance Class ship, and why Carnival only has four of the equally lovely Spirit Class ships. It's all about the almighty dollar, and how to separate you from them with the greatest efficiency. ;)

I don't like it either, and that's why I'll be cruising Radiance and Vision Class ships as often as I can until they all get retired.

Edited by DarthGrady

. Does RCI even look on these boards :rolleyes:

Yeah, and what they see (not us by the way) is almost universal love for Oasis and Allure from both veterans and newbies......

As DG said it works for them. Twice as many people with fewer ports, they're on board more and spend more money with RCCL.

Edited by bouhunter

Yeah, and what they see (not us by the way) is almost universal love for Oasis and Allure from both veterans and newbies......

And almost universal love for the Radiance class.

Sure they do, but public opinion tends to be trumped by shareholder interest. They make more money when they shoehorn more people onto the ship. The trend among all the mass market lines is to create ships with ever-worsening space to passenger ratios. That's why you're unlikely to see another Radiance Class ship, and why Carnival only has four of the equally lovely Spirit Class ships. It's all about the almighty dollar, and how to separate you from them with the greatest efficiency. ;)

I don't like it either, and that's why I'll be cruising Radiance and Vision Class ships as often as I can until they all get retired.

Amen! I guess once the Vision and Radiance classes go away its time for X.

And to me, its not the size that matters. Its the beauty of the ship (I.e. WINDOWS) and the passenger space ratio. Heck, even the Fantasy class seems to have more windows tan Voyager/Freedom/Oasis!

Will Panama Canal cruises be a thing of the past with this trend? Surely, Royal Caribbean (or any cruise line for that matter) will have to keep and/or build one or two ships that will fit the canal if they want to keep such cruises. That is, IF the market still demands it...

Will Panama Canal cruises be a thing of the past with this trend? Surely, Royal Caribbean (or any cruise line for that matter) will have to keep and/or build one or two ships that will fit the canal if they want to keep such cruises. That is, IF the market still demands it...

Well, the Oasis class ships won't fit through the expanded canal when it finally opens. (2016, maybe??) Their beams are 198' - too wide for the new locks, which max out at 160 feet.

But the Quantum class ships will go through with beams of 135 feet.

They won't especially NEED Radiance class ships (Our favorites!) to service ports on both sides of the canal.

Well, the Oasis class ships won't fit through the expanded canal when it finally opens. (2016, maybe??) Their beams are 198' - too wide for the new locks, which max out at 160 feet.

But the Quantum class ships will go through with beams of 135 feet.

They won't especially NEED Radiance class ships (Our favorites!) to service ports on both sides of the canal.

The Quantum class will fit through the new locks, but there's some question as to whether they can fit under the Bridge of the Americas.

There are still companies building small ships, just not the major ones. Eventually you'll have to go with one of the upscale lines (Crystal, Azamara, Seabourn) to get that small ship experience, and those small ship itineraries.

I hope we are not hastening the demise of the Radiance class ships... after all one of them (Jewel) isn't even a teenager yet... she's barely 10! On the other hand I am concerned that they may be prematurely farmed out because her gas turbines don't exactly sip fuel sparingly.

Actually, the Oasis class ships will fit through the new expansion locks at the Panama Canal, since the beam at the water is 154'. The beam limit for the new locks is 160' and that number I believe in the future will only be a guide since the new locks will be 180' wide. The probable show stopper is of course the Bridge of Americas with a high water clearance of 201'. Getting one of the big ships under the BOA is technically possible because on the lowest of low tides in at Balboa there is approximate 220' of clearance under the Bridge. The O and A had to fit under the Great Belt Bridge with a clearance of 213'... so it the numbers "say" it can work, but when they want to take those ships to other part of the world, canal might be spelled Suez!

If you can believe what the silhouette depictions on nautical cities or whatever it is called now, the Quantum comes in at 200'.

I wonder if Royal will continue to build mega-ships. Meanwhile they will add smaller ships to their more upscale lines. Royal is really pushing hard at the families of the world, which support the mega ships. I wonder if X and Azamara will be targeted for the non-family cruisers, or those that want the smaller ports and more intimate ships?

Here's another vote for another radiance-like class. I love these ships because of the closer connection to the ocean they have than other ships in Royal's fleet. Little things like the aft outdoor section of the windjammer just really make a difference for me.

Adam Goldstein has been quoted as saying the radiance class is seen as a failure within the company. With that said, I highly doubt you will see any other ship like the radiance class.

Also, Quantum Class offers an aft outdoor Windjammer section. So they did take some good aspects of the radiance class.

Edited by hitaway4

While I am for a new Radiance class ship, in my opinion I just want to feel a connection with the sea. That is my main point in the original post I wrote. It doesn't have to be the size if the radiance class. Just lots of windows and open areas. They could still incorporate BW and CP without a split superstructure, using the Mille design.

Adam Goldstein has been quoted as saying the radiance class is seen as a failure within the company. With that said, I highly doubt you will see any other ship like the radiance class.

Also, Quantum Class offers an aft outdoor Windjammer section. So they did take some good aspects of the radiance class.

I believe that Adam was referencing a whole lot of internal changes and reporting structures that they introduced with the Radience class and not the ships themselves as failures.

I believe that Adam was referencing a whole lot of internal changes and reporting structures that they introduced with the Radience class and not the ships themselves as failures.

That is correct, I believe someone posted a thread on this a while back. Basically, they introduced new types of management on Radiance. It ended up being a failure.