Chunnel

lajems

So if I say I'm going to France via the tunnel, people will be confused as to which tunnel I mean? I have to give my friends and acquaintances more credit than that! :)

Sorry if I didn't make it clear. I put "And as a rule of thumb, using "Tunnel" will only be adequate if you have already made it clear you're crossing the Channel." - by which I meant that if the context is obvious that you're going to France, and you mention you're going there via a tunnel, people will know which tunnel you are using; if you just say you're going through a tunnel but with no clue as to where you're going, they won't necessarily know it's the Channel Tunnel.

If you say "I'm going to France via the Tunnel", that is actually a perfect example of what I meant by making it clear you were crossing the Channel. As opposed to "I'm going through the Tunnel tomorrow" a propos of nothing, which could also mean the Dartford, Mersey, Greenwich, or Mile tunnels to name but a few.

We want to fly to Paris for a few days before we take our British Isle Cruise and we need to get from Paris to London. We are deciding whether to fly or to take the Chunnel. Can anyone tell us how difficult it would be to take the Chunnel with 2 large suitcases. Are there elevators available or do we have to carry our luggage up flights of stairs?

Very very few cruises leave from London (HA have a couple from Tilbury), but most leave from Southampton or Harwich, which greatly changes the travel options. If you're leaving from Southampton, you can fly Paris to Southampton/SOU inexpensively on FlyBE; which may be a much better option than going into London and back out; a fair distance out of your way.

Chunnel is just an amalgam of two words just like breakfast and lunch i.e brunch but nobody gets their knickers in a twist about that word. :rolleyes:

LOL You are wrong! Some here on CC do get upset about the term. Guess they have nothing better to post :). They are the same folks who call "Brunch" a "late breakfast" or "early lunch!"

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

My best friend, her parents, and her son are all English, born and raised and currently living in England, and they all use the word "Chunnel".

I agree with those who say it's better to take the Eurostar through the Chunnel, than to fly, from Paris to London. Hope you have a great time!

Edited by BeagleOne