Love Boat reruns on TV now

Caribensun

Hi,

We have a lot in common. I was 13 years old when the Love Boat began in 1977 and watched it every Saturday night. I took a seven-day Caribbean cruise with my parents on NCL's Skyward in 1976 and fell in love with cruising. The Love Boat allowed me to relive these memories (and look forward to future cruises) each week. I also collected the cruise brochures (I loved studying the deck plans for every ship). I have purchased all of the seasons of the Love Boat that are available on DVD and watch the show on Sunday afternoons.

I am now 50 years old and have taken over 70 cruises. I can truly say that I have enjoyed every single cruise. Also, Princess is one of my favorite cruise lines. I also still get very excited about each cruise. Enjoy the Golden Princess. I cruised aboard her in September 2013 and really liked the ship.

Chuck

Hi Chuck...yes, we do have a lot in common. It's funny you mention NCL Skyward because my mother initially booked us on that ship for our first cruise, but TA convinced her to switched over to RCCL's Song of Norway.

Interesting to note (for you Love Boat TV fans) that Jeraldine Sauders who wrote the novel "Love Boats" was an actual cruise director on the Princess Italia and Princess Carla back in the late 60's to early 70's. She was the first women cruise director and it was her letters back to her mom about ship's romances was the basis for her book. Later when the novel was going to be made into a TV shows, Douglas Cramer, the shows Producer asked both Sitmar Cruises and Princess' marketing departments if either would be interested in the use of their ships for the TV series since both cruise lines were based in Los Angeles. Both declined - as they felt it would inconvenience the passengers too much. It was then Jeraldine Sauders who went directly to Stan McDonald (CEO of Princess Cruises at time) and convince him it would be a great marketing tool for his small cruise lines. He whole hearty agreed...and the rest they say is history.

THANK YOU, so much for starting this thread, I just saw it. I LOVE watching the old re-runs and just went and found the channel (dvr all set up). Everyone always laughs at me on a cruise when I say, gotta go to the cabin and watch The Love Boat. I too watched them first hand and ohh so desperately wanted to be Vicky Stubing - lol.

Tammy

Hi,

We have a lot in common. I was 13 years old when the Love Boat began in 1977 and watched it every Saturday night. I took a seven-day Caribbean cruise with my parents on NCL's Skyward in 1976 and fell in love with cruising. The Love Boat allowed me to relive these memories (and look forward to future cruises) each week. I also collected the cruise brochures (I loved studying the deck plans for every ship). I have purchased all of the seasons of the Love Boat that are available on DVD and watch the show on Sunday afternoons.

I am now 50 years old and have taken over 70 cruises. I can truly say that I have enjoyed every single cruise. Also, Princess is one of my favorite cruise lines. I also still get very excited about each cruise. Enjoy the Golden Princess. I cruised aboard her in September 2013 and really liked the ship.

Chuck

Haven't taken nearly as many cruises as y'all! And, I was a bit younger, but remember The Love Boat on Saturday nights. I think it was then that I knew I wanted to go on a cruise...I remember thinking it was so cool that a pool was on a ship! I didn't go on my first cruise until I was 24, though!!! It was on Carnival and was an awful experience...I took a chance and went on a second one and loved it!!! So glad I didn't give up on it. We've taken several since then and I absolutely loved it..on a variety of lines: NCL, RCCL, and Oceania . Studying each ship...each cruise line...it's all so much fun! It's the best way to vacation in my opinion. Can't wait for our next one in March...our first on Princess!

The Love Boat was the beginning of my cruise addiction. I absolutely loved that show and still watch it on ME TV. It looked so glamorous at the time. My mother surprised me in 1986 with our first cruise, I was 31 at the time. Lord, how time flies. I am soon to take my 60th cruise on my 60th birthday and I have to thank the Love Boat for starting it all!

COMBOY, thanks for the information on the "Love Boat" series. I did not know about Jeraldine Sauders writing the novel and helping it become a TV series. It's also interesting to find out she was the first women cruise director with Princess. She surely must of seen it all onboard in the romance department.:)

Interesting to note (for you Love Boat TV fans) that Jeraldine Sauders who wrote the novel "Love Boats" was an actual cruise director on the Princess Italia and Princess Carla back in the late 60's to early 70's. She was the first women cruise director and it was her letters back to her mom about ship's romances was the basis for her book. Later when the novel was going to be made into a TV shows, Douglas Cramer, the shows Producer asked both Sitmar Cruises and Princess' marketing departments if either would be interested in the use of their ships for the TV series since both cruise lines were based in Los Angeles. Both declined - as they felt it would inconvenience the passengers too much. It was then Jeraldine Sauders who went directly to Stan McDonald (CEO of Princess Cruises at time) and convince him it would be a great marketing tool for his small cruise lines. He whole hearty agreed...and the rest they say is history.

Great Thread

I remember those Saturday Nights of The Love Boat and Fantasy Island (of course for me Saturday Night was all about The Carol Burnett Show).

Working class folks like my family and friends didn't travel like they do today , so a cruise was such a big deal.

It's funny , I remember almost every show back in the day would eventually have an episode where the cast would either go on a cruise, Hawaii or Las Vegas. Of course they would make it very glamorous with big guest stars . Simpler times

What I find funny is the size of the cabins. I've sailed on the Pacific Princess and I can tell you that our room for four had bunk bed style beds, don't remember a TV and if you had a visitor they sat on your bed because there were no couches, chairs, nothing. I was actually in the M'D's cabin and his cabin is half the size of our cabin. Julie's cabin would have been a suite.

I love how they do each other's jobs, take the weekend off in between cruises. Just cracks me up.

I still love the show though. We've met Gavin McCloud and he was very sociable, took pictures with everyone and was out and about. We actually sailed on a cruise with Jeraldine Saunders as well. She did a talk thing and talked about her book. It was interesting.

• 3 months later...

If you like Love Boat - and what true cruise lover doesn't - then find and watch an movie called OUT TO SEA starring Walter Matthau and Jack Lemmon. They are featured as dance hosts aboard a cruise ship. It was shot on HALs old Westerdam, now Thompson Dream.

I just watched a two-show episode in which the crew is inexplicably assigned to a one-cruise stint on the (defunct)Sun Line (junked)Stella Solaris . The cruise was to Greece and Turkey. You can see from my signature, I did this cruise for real in 1992, ten years after this episode was filmed. I had not seen this episode when I was young and did not know they filmed on the Stella Solaris.

I did a second cruise to Greece and Turkey on HAL Westerdam a few years ago. While sailing out of Istanbul, we saw the Pacific Princess (under another name) anchored nearby.

Yeah, METV is actually a broadcast network and you need a network affiliate in your area supposedly to be able to get it on cable or U-Verse. And not all affiliates broadcast much of the old programs. Fortunately for me, ours does them all, no local programming.

One of my regrets in life is that I never was able to sail on the old Pacific Princess. I would have loved to have had the experience. I did get to board her sister ship the old Island Princess in St. Thomas for a few hours. I was on my very first cruise ever on the old Cunard Countess and had met a group of friends. One of the ladies in the group convinced the security of the Island Princess to let us on board. It was interesting.

If you like Love Boat - and what true cruise lover doesn't - then find and watch an movie called OUT TO SEA starring Walter Matthau and Jack Lemmon. They are featured as dance hosts aboard a cruise ship. It was shot on HALs old Westerdam, now Thompson Dream.

Great movie! Much of it was filmed on the Queen Mary.

Edited by jdellachiesa

I went on tvguide.com and checked the listings. It's on Me-TV' date=' which is a channel available around here on digital cable.

I once checked youtube to see if the episode that was shot during a Med cruise was uploaded (one of the "smiling faces" in the credits worked for our account group back then as a temp in between any gigs. He got a free cruise out of it, but didn't know he was going to be in the credits), but it never was.[/quote']

I just watched a two-show episode in which the crew is inexplicably assigned to a one-cruise stint on the (defunct)Sun Line (junked)Stella Solaris . The cruise was to Greece and Turkey. You can see from my signature, I did this cruise for real in 1992, ten years after this episode was filmed. I had not seen this episode when I was young and did not know they filmed on the Stella Solaris.

I did a second cruise to Greece and Turkey on HAL Westerdam a few years ago. While sailing out of Istanbul, we saw the Pacific Princess (under another name) anchored nearby.

I think this is the episode I was referring to (but not sure if this is the one Rick just saw): http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0636613/?ref_=ttep_ep5

I just watched a two-show episode in which the crew is inexplicably assigned to a one-cruise stint on the (defunct)Sun Line (junked)Stella Solaris

There was another 2-parter on yesterday that was a French Riviera cruise on the VistaFjord, which I guess was a Cunard ship at that time. I thought it was funny that the captain & his staff moved from one cruise line to another. I guess they used to do that on the show when they wanted to feature a more interesting destination than Puerto Vallarta.

I've heard about this movie but I watched it this afternoon. Thx for the suggestion :).

I just came off of a cruise on the Crown Princess, and they were showing The Love Boat on Channel 22 all day for the entire cruise. (Usually there are only a few sporadic episodes being broadcast.) I think it may be because of the 50th Anniversary for Princess, and the DVDs for Season 1 they are promoting that is available in the gift shop.

It's hard to believe anyone would actually buy DVD's of the love boat series. :rolleyes:

That's why I love You Tube.

I can get lost for hours watching the old shows I grew up with on there . Where do they get all this stuff?

I don't mean just the "classics" but obscure old shows that lasted a year or two 40 something years ago. , or segments of long forgotten shows.

Its fun to watch them again , a little sad too when you realize most of these folks are dead now .

But I wouldn't buy DVDs of them and keep them

It's hard to believe anyone would actually buy DVD's of the love boat series. :rolleyes:

Ha ha, yeah…but I feel that way about almost all TV shows. I feel like no matter what I want to watch, I can find it on some cable channel or OnDemand. Even if it comes on at 4AM, I could DVR it and watch it whenever. I could spend a whole weekend just laying on the couch watching reruns of Friends, Roseanne, Will & Grace, now adding Love Boat into the mix, but would never need to buy the episodes on DVD. The one example is The Simpsons, but that’s because I collect all kinds of Simpsons stuff- books, figurines, artwork- so the DVDs are just part of the collection. I rarely ever watch them- or need to, really, now that FXX shows them all.

Edited by CatgirlNC

Ha ha, yeah…but I feel that way about almost all TV shows. I feel like no matter what I want to watch, I can find it on some cable channel or OnDemand. Even if it comes on at 4AM, I could DVR it and watch it whenever. I could spend a whole weekend just laying on the couch watching reruns of Friends, Roseanne, Will & Grace, now adding Love Boat into the mix, but would never need to buy the episodes on DVD. The one example is The Simpsons, but that’s because I collect all kinds of Simpsons stuff- books, figurines, artwork- so the DVDs are just part of the collection. I rarely ever watch them- or need to, really, now that FXX shows them all.

Hey, I have a set of the original Simpson Dolls that were created for a Burger King Promo. these are still in their bags. Interested?

LOL

I just came off of a cruise on the Crown Princess, and they were showing The Love Boat on Channel 22 all day for the entire cruise. (Usually there are only a few sporadic episodes being broadcast.) I think it may be because of the 50th Anniversary for Princess, and the DVDs for Season 1 they are promoting that is available in the gift shop.

Actually Princess has been showing Love Boat reruns on the in cabin TV for a while. Saw some of the episodes on our last cruise (2012/2013) and that was long before the 50th anniversary celebration began.

Occasionally I'll check Netflix and Amazon Prime to see what has been recently added. At least with movies, there's duplication between the two of those. But the two services seem to offer different series (Family Ties and Friends are now on Netflix). I tend to start watching shows after they've been on for a while so it does help me to catch up on shows I've discovered late like 24 and Breaking Bad.

On the Star this last week they had one channel devoted to the Love Boat series.

I would have liked to watch one or two episodes just before bed time, but the programming was often dropped by 7:30 or so. And when there was something on after that, it was the same episode over and over and over, etc. Maybe I'll have better luck on the next cruise.

I can't say that it takes me back to my youth, but it is a step in the right direction. And I love the size of the cabins!