Bringing wine on board

shlameggy79

A little more info for you:

Can I bring alcohol on board?

All guests are prohibited from bringing alcohol on board our ships. Please note that with the exception of Wine and Champagne, all guests are prohibited from bringing alcohol on board our ships. If you purchase any alcohol at one of our ports-of-call or in our onboard shops, we will safely store your purchase(s) and either on the final night of the cruise or the morning of debarkation it will be available for pick up in a designated area. Wine & Champagne Policy Guests may bring bottles of wine and champagne on board. When bottles are brought on board and served or consumed in any restaurant, public room area or in their stateroom, a corkage fee will be charged according to bottle sizes noted below. 750 ml Bottle: $15.00 1,500 ml Magnum: $30.00 Wine or champagne sent directly to the ship by travel agents, friends, family, etc. or from another retail source, are subject to the same fees. Box wines are not allowed on board.

Edited by bbryan5

Every now and then 'One flies over the cuckoos nest' !

It could be that Security did not do a good job x-raying your carry-on for items of revenue corkage fees - or

You boarded your ship at a location that was more concerned about weapons of mass destruction - or

Simply NCL goofed and did not catch your corkage wine items while being distracted by the crowds of boarding passengers.

Please do not give away the Cruise date time etc. so that NCL tightens the boarding security at that location.

I have read here that some foreign ports are not so firm in enforcing NCL alcohol protocol.

So next time this happens enjoy your non-corkage fee free beverage - just don't

take it to a bar or restaurant where it could be discovered and taxed at that point.

If going to a bar or restaurant do not take the bottle but pour a serving into one of the wine glasses provided in your cabin and take it to dinner that way.

Discretely consume it in your cabin and enjoy it and as I noted at the start

"One flew over the cuckoos nest" !

Oh how I love it when that happens !

Cheers !

Did that change recently because two years ago I brought wine and I wasn't charged

No, it has not changed. The current wine policy has been in place already four years ago.

As said, in some places the screening isn't that tight, for example in Venice when boarding the ship we probably should have searched the corkage fee table ourselves before going through the security as there was none after - as the result we were charged corkage fees in the restaurants bottle by bottle each night.

Other cruise lines have different rules, for example with Celebrity you can bring two bottles per stateroom for free but only if you take them to the restaurant, corkage fee ($25 per bottle) is charged.