Tropical in Dec??

Susa

I read a thread about wearing tropical print shirts in Caribbean year round.

I have a beautiful below the knee flowing flowered dress - blended red/coral/gold - that is sleeveless. I would love to wear this for semiformal as it is a bit dressy. Is the sleeveless flowered stuff OK in Dec. in Aruba/Jamaica/Panama/Costa Rica region??

...with hubby's Stetson of course.

...not really:D

Hi:) yes florals and tropical prints are always ok in the Caribbean. Your dress sounds lovely too!

I have sailed down there in the months of Jan, March, May, Sept and December. It is warm all year round:D

I know it is probably a big fashion faux pas, but I wear my tropical colors all year round right here in the northeast USA! People laugh at me, but then they say that seeing me in my "cruise clothes" in the middle of winter brightens an otherwise dull day! :D It's how I get through the long, cold days of winter. I'm always on a cruise in my mind.

I know it is probably a big fashion faux pas, but I wear my tropical colors all year round right here in the northeast USA! People laugh at me, but then they say that seeing me in my "cruise clothes" in the middle of winter brightens an otherwise dull day! :D It's how I get through the long, cold days of winter. I'm always on a cruise in my mind.

Bonnie,

It's the fabric, not the color that determines the season. Yes, of course, most people typically tend to wear more dark colors in the winter than summer. But it's certainly not necessary.

A wool sweater in tropical colors like lime, yellow or orange are perfectly acceptable for winterwear in the same way that black linen clothes are acceptable for summer wear.

Last year, companies like Dana Buchman made some gorgeous wool jackets in sherbert colors like peach, raspberry & baby blue that retailed very well and were a welcome sight from all the blacks, grey's and navy. I have very elegant white wool pants that I wear w/ a winter white cable knit, turtleneck cashmere sweater. No one would mistake it for a summer outfit.

So, if you want to be colorful AND season appropriate, keep wearing the bright colors you love, but wear them in fabrics that are appropriate for winter and you won't be laughed at. You'll still make them - and yourself - smile, but in a different way.

Jane

Archived