So Disappointed

gr1634

It sure is an investment. Brand loyalty is nothing to sneeze at. These are our family memories, times when we get together in a 185sf cabin and shut the phone and internet off. We eat our meals together and laugh together. We have pictures taken. We recognize other ships in the brand while we are sailing and think of them as "sister" ships. Just the image of a Carnival funnel has evoked irreplaceable memories. I remember sailing with four of my sons in a quad cabin with rollaway on Elation in 2005. Well now the youngest is 16, 6'3", and the others are all over the country. Think of all the pictures taken on the stairs in a Carnival atrium.

When the brand gets trashed, even in a death by a thousand cuts like this, it's a major disappointment. Title of thread: "So Disappointed." I have steered so many people to cruising as a holiday. Do you think I would recommend Carnival now? I guess if someone had a very tight budget I would, but with a million caveats and cautions to reduce expectations.

It's really a damn shame. I don't know whose head will ever roll- no one's, I guess. Cruisers are just going to other Carnival Corp lines. But I guess it's possible that some people who would normally become lifetime cruisers will sail Carnival first and say "never again."

It's definitely an investment in my energy, money, loyalty, feelings, planning, dedication, and sadly reputation as all of my "loyal to Royal" friends ask me how this last cruise was. What can I say? "I've had it with Carnival." It's the truth.

Put the word disappointed in the title, come back 3 days later and look who's still here. You do realize most here know what your comments are without reading them also.

Yours too, chief. :p I rarely ever a see a post of yours that isn't gunning for me. I'd enjoy living rent free in your head, but I don't know how to get to League City. ;):D:cool:

Edited by EZ4

I invested in 15 Carnival cruises. The first 11 or 12 were fine. We especially enjoyed the Fall Canadian cruises out of New York.

A cruise isn't an investment, there is no profit or material result to be made on it. ;)

That said, every time I see your screen name and that you're from Astoria, I can't help but think of "Yogi Lala." I don't know if they're still in the same business as they were in the 80s and early 90s, but let's just say I used to do some shopping there.

Yours too, chief. :p I rarely ever a see a post of yours that isn't gunning for me. I'd enjoy living rent free in your head, but I don't know how to get to League City. ;):D:cool:

Go look. I said my piece and moved on. I have nothing to prove. As long as Carnival continues to rock, I'm happy. I guess to see 25 good reviews before one of these pop up does give me an advantage. Ok, I'll move on again. :)

This thread reminds me of my experience with the "Outback Restaurant".

It sounds like the OP really had a good long ride with Carnival. Carnival has made some changes the OP doesn't like. The OP feels Carnival no longer gives them enough bang for the buck.

My wife and I really enjoyed the Outback. We have been going there since day one. Then we noticed some changes. We tried, oh we really tried, to deal with the new and improved Outback. The manager even tried to console us in our grief.

The last two times we went we left in a foul mood and the meal was way less than the quality we had grown used to.

Consequently we have moved on and have not been back in over one year and more than likely will never be back.

The moral of the story is sometimes we really fall in love with something and then it changes and the changes are not what we like. It might be hard to leave something behind that you have grown to love but you have to move on. Try another cruiseline you might ask yourself why did I take this long to switch.

Me I liked the "Old Las Vegas". We used to go four times a year. Once they switched to "The New Las Vegas" I had to quit going. It was not my cup of tea.

So far none of the changes implemented by Carnival affect our cruise enjoyment. If they ever start messing with the Blackjack tables I might feel differently.

BTW Costco has the best canned tuna in the world. Try just one can and you will be hooked. It is chunk, pure white Albacore and yes it is still seven ounces and when you squeeze the water out of the can the can it still almost filled to the top with tuna meat.

I love this comparison! Yes! Back in high school, we felt so grown up going to eat at Beefsteak Charlies or Sizzler for a date. Then in college we moved up the ranks to Pizza Hut and TGI Fridays. When we hit legal drinking age, Chili's with their 2 for 1 drinks was where it was at. Then we got grown up jobs, with grown up paychecks and realized that that was all crap food, and we liked to go to better places with better food, and no ™ after the company name. Now we're older parents (early 40s) of a young child (5 y/o) and while we'd still like to go eat in great foodie places, Crapplebees works a lot better.

Similarly, our pre-kid vacations were "Call the friends and let's hit Vegas/New Orleans/Europe/wherever for a few days, we can eat, and drink, and sleep, and gamble, woohoo!" Now Carnival is a great fit for us. Doesn't break the bank when we're paying for that extra berth and mouth to feed, and it's adequate enough that we have fun. The food isn't the best, but I'm not cruising for great food. I wouldn't even expect fabulous food on the most expensive cruise, because food isn't the point of a cruise in the first place.

It's about feelings of inadequacy and compensating by flooding the thread with defensive posts. Personally, I just skip over them. I know what they say without reading them, anymore.

Yep. All those who say they have moved on but keep posting on the fun ship board. Or keep bringing up ancient history about the "loyalty" program. Repeat as unnecessary.

Go look. I said my piece and moved on. I have nothing to prove. As long as Carnival continues to rock, I'm happy. I guess to see 25 good reviews before one of these pop up does give me an advantage. Ok, I'll move on again. :)

Like!

Thought you were moving on. Again. :p

Edited by EZ4

I'm hearing constructive criticism from those who love Carnival and want to help Carnival make their product better and a lot of complaining (not to mention the personal attacks) about those who have offered the constructive criticism.

:rolleyes:

To be disillusioned means exactly that! :D

disillusioned

: having lost faith or trust in something : disappointed that something is not as good, valuable, true, etc., as it had seemed

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/disillusioned

Because we are disappointed or disillusioned about aspects of cruising Carnival this time or even last time, does NOT mean we do not like Carnival! (geesh)

Does anyone know a good divorce lawyer? I just found out that being disillusioned with what my wife chooses to make for dinner means that I can no longer like her. I wish "out to sea" could have told me this years ago.

Does anyone know a good divorce lawyer? I just found out that being disillusioned with what my wife chooses to make for dinner means that I can no longer like her. I wish "out to sea" could have told me this years ago.

:D:p:D;)

Please, disregard my previous post. My wife pointed out to me that the definition of disillusioned doesn't mean that I can't like her. I told her that "out to sea" says it does right in his 1st sentence. But, she made me actually read the definition, and you know what, she's right. Nowhere does the definition of disillusioned say that you can't like something if you're disappointed with part of it.

Edited by cruzfitter
Spelling

It's about feelings of inadequacy and compensating by flooding the thread with defensive posts. Personally, I just skip over them. I know what they say without reading them, anymore.
I'm sorry - You were saying ?

I'm hearing constructive criticism from those who love Carnival and want to help Carnival make their product better and a lot of complaining (not to mention the personal attacks) about those who have offered the constructive criticism.

:rolleyes:

Is that what your hearing ? Even if it were constructive rather then bitter accusations, who cares ?

Certainly not Carnival . They believe they know what they are doing and many agree.

BTW, we have different definitions of what is constructive and who is complaining.

Please, disregard my previous post. My wife pointed out to me that the definition of disillusioned doesn't mean that I can't like her. I told her that "out to sea" says it does right in his 1st sentence. But, she made me actually read the definition, and you know what, she's right. Nowhere does the definition of disillusioned say that you can't like something if you're disappointed with part of it.

Score one for Wifey!

adjective

disappointed in someone or something that one discovers to be less good than one had believed.

"the minority groups were completely disillusioned with the party"

synonyms: disenchanted, disabused, disappointed, let down, discouraged; More

Score one for Wifey!

adjective

disappointed in someone or something that one discovers to be less good than one had believed.

"the minority groups were completely disillusioned with the party"

synonyms: disenchanted, disabused, disappointed, let down, discouraged; More

I thought "out to sea" had to be right. I read it on the internet.

That said, every time I see your screen name and that you're from Astoria, I can't help but think of "Yogi Lala." I don't know if they're still in the same business as they were in the 80s and early 90s, but let's just say I used to do some shopping there.

30-07 Steinway Street. Still here!

It sure is an investment. Brand loyalty is nothing to sneeze at. These are our family memories, times when we get together in a 185sf cabin and shut the phone and internet off. We eat our meals together and laugh together. We have pictures taken. We recognize other ships in the brand while we are sailing and think of them as "sister" ships. Just the image of a Carnival funnel has evoked irreplaceable memories. I remember sailing with four of my sons in a quad cabin with rollaway on Elation in 2005. Well now the youngest is 16, 6'3", and the others are all over the country. Think of all the pictures taken on the stairs in a Carnival atrium.

When the brand gets trashed, even in a death by a thousand cuts like this, it's a major disappointment. Title of thread: "So Disappointed." I have steered so many people to cruising as a holiday. Do you think I would recommend Carnival now? I guess if someone had a very tight budget I would, but with a million caveats and cautions to reduce expectations.

It's really a damn shame. I don't know whose head will ever roll- no one's, I guess. Cruisers are just going to other Carnival Corp lines. But I guess it's possible that some people who would normally become lifetime cruisers will sail Carnival first and say "never again."

It's definitely an investment in my energy, money, loyalty, feelings, planning, dedication, and sadly reputation as all of my "loyal to Royal" friends ask me how this last cruise was. What can I say? "I've had it with Carnival." It's the truth.

Well said indeed! Like you, I had a hard time finally saying good-bye to Carnival, but it was a decision I will never regret as RCCL has treated me like they actually appreciate my loyalty!

Edited by yogimax

Just saw this thread.....

oh brother, more whining.....

Geez

:cool:

Quite obviously just "saw" it rather than actually read it. Still, it keeps yer post count up even if it makes you look foolish and contributes nothing worthwhile.

The severe decline in entertainment to where it is almost non existent is not a "minor" thing. The addition of the a burger joint, handful of bars, and of course additional staterooms in no way makes up for that.

It is a very minor thing if you didn't care about being entertained to begin with. I didn't go to shows back in 2000, I don't go to them in 2014. No loss to me whatsoever. Watching drunks stumble around the ship late at night has been more entertaining than any show from any line and that's one bit of entertainment that has not been cut back. :D

Lol. I've never noticed you until this thread and I must say I've never seen a bigger cheerleader. Honestly, who cares what others think of a certain cruise line. Big deal if someone doesn't find carnival perfect. No cruise line is perfect. We all can complain as much as we want and still use the cruise line. This board is for sharing info and opinions. No one is wrong no matter how you feel about it. Personally Carnival is not

for me. I could have written a scAthing trip report on it but it would brought out the cheerleaders in droves. Lol. Instead I enjoy reading all the boards and just seeing what others think.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Me a Carnival cheerleader? That's a good one. I am a cheerleader for no cruise line which can be seen by looking at my tagline. As for loyalty, I am loyal on to my wallet and my desires on where I want to go, not which line or ship I sail to get there. You are right, no cruise line is perfect (if they were perfect they would be throwing smugglers overboard 12 miles off shore and let them swim back to the port). But to me, it shows a level of insanity to constantly complain about something and yet continuing to do it. Yes, people have a right to do just that but it makes one look rather stupid by doing so. I'm not against people giving their opinion, I am against people giving their opinion and trying to make it sound like fact, something many of the complainers on this board are notorious for.

You don't need a divorce lawyer, you need a chef. :D

BTW, do you have a marriage certificate with Carnival?? :rolleyes:

Edited by Out to sea!