So Disappointed

gr1634

I'm hearing constructive criticism from those who love Carnival and want to help Carnival make their product better and a lot of complaining (not to mention the personal attacks) about those who have offered the constructive criticism.

:rolleyes:

That's exactly how I feel too!!

It sure is an investment. Brand loyalty is nothing to sneeze at. These are our family memories, times when we get together in a 185sf cabin and shut the phone and internet off. We eat our meals together and laugh together. We have pictures taken. We recognize other ships in the brand while we are sailing and think of them as "sister" ships. Just the image of a Carnival funnel has evoked irreplaceable memories. I remember sailing with four of my sons in a quad cabin with rollaway on Elation in 2005. Well now the youngest is 16, 6'3", and the others are all over the country. Think of all the pictures taken on the stairs in a Carnival atrium.

When the brand gets trashed, even in a death by a thousand cuts like this, it's a major disappointment. Title of thread: "So Disappointed." I have steered so many people to cruising as a holiday. Do you think I would recommend Carnival now? I guess if someone had a very tight budget I would, but with a million caveats and cautions to reduce expectations.

It's really a damn shame. I don't know whose head will ever roll- no one's, I guess. Cruisers are just going to other Carnival Corp lines. But I guess it's possible that some people who would normally become lifetime cruisers will sail Carnival first and say "never again."

It's definitely an investment in my energy, money, loyalty, feelings, planning, dedication, and sadly reputation as all of my "loyal to Royal" friends ask me how this last cruise was. What can I say? "I've had it with Carnival." It's the truth.

Seago2 , I reread your post, this time with empathy. My avatar is that of a defunct baseball team that I still mourn.

I should have understood that your use of the word investment is legitimate in the emotional sense.

Just because I don't attach any personal feelings to any particular brand doesn't

mean that others won't. I have felt loyalty to towns, schools and sports franchises

(way too much of the latter :o) and realize we are just coming from different experiences.

I don't see the Carnival decline that you see as being that much different then the

cost cutting all cruise lines are implementing. Never the less your experience

is much greater then mine and I'm sorry that what you once valued has been greatly diminished.

Did the price of drinks go down now that they are not giving receipts out?

All of this for a small piece of paper that nobody looks at. To me, it was a good decision. I actually commented on it on the guest survey email. Kudo's to Carnival for putting it in place.

I see threads like this one all of the time, no matter what vacation message boards I'm on. We took a Disney vacation in February, and of course the message boards on disboards.com are flooded threads about how EVERYTHING Disney has lowered in quality over the years. People complaining the napkins no longer have Mickey's head on them, they are PLAIN (GOD FORBID!) and of course the quality of the food has gone straight downhill (this seems to be a common theme everywhere also) among literally hundreds of other common complaints.

I think some of these threads/posters have valid points, including this one. I'm sure there have been cutbacks, some not as noticable, and then some downright terrible. But it always seems that nobody ever points out what has been ADDED. Better waterslides, movie screens, guys burgers, blue iguana, serenity deck, more food choices and variety, etc.

Many of the things it seems people complain about, that have been cruising for years, I don't think are as important to younger generations of cruisers, and Carnival knows this. I personally could care less about live bands. I'm 30 and I don't have even one friend who chose a live band at their wedding compared to a DJ. Not important. Live bands just don't do it for me personally.

The food thing, I'm just not sure. I it's very possible the quality of food has declined, but I also think people are now more used to "better" quality food than they were 10/20 years ago. In America, for a quick bite to eat, we were once used to McDonalds, now we have Panera Bread, Chipotle, etc. and many choices showing us fresh, higher quality food. I think in general, people's expectations with food have gone up. So I think people could just be remembering food in a somewhat nostalgic frame of mind, instead of remembering actual quality. But again I could be wrong. We thought the food on Carnival was fine/ok/pretty good. (Better than RCI's food though). Just your typical banquet type food, some dishes a bit better. Some dishes were better than othes.

There was a little family owned Italian place near my house my family used to go back in the early 90s for dinner, and we thought they had the BEST sauce. I hadn't been there in YEARS (probably 15) and I drug my husband there for a little nostalgia about a year ago, telling him it was SO GOOD. And it wasn't. But back then I thought it was, because I wasn't quite the foodie back then that I am now ;)

The point is, If you don't like it, then choose another line, or another type vacation alltogether. I think some people are sick of Carnival, or "cruised-OUT" just like people on the Disney boards need to find another destination/change of scenery. I think a lot of people look at their previous vacations with rose colored glasses since it was a newer experience back then. The first ones are always going to be the best. But I'd much rather cruise Carnival at the price point it is today WITH the waterslides, serenity deck, blue iguana, big screen, and all of the food choices than cruise a Carnival ship ca. 1995 without all of these things, but WITH a live band, ice buckets, and receipts... and I'm sure we will continue to cruise many different lines and see what they all have to offer. We are in no way loyal to one line and never will be. variety is the spice of life!

Edited by jetta8300

Excellent points Jetta. May I add a couple more. Cabins !

The size and amenities of cabins are so much greater today, starting with their size.

So many of those pining for the days of yore begin with "We had an inside cabin with two beds bolted to the floor".

The % of balcony cabins on ships has been vastly increased . Only the big shots could afford a balcony back then.

Other improvements are the flexibility in dining options. I hate being told to eat at a specific time.

It blows my mind that many consider YTD a downgrade.

Finally a comment on recent smoking policy changes - :):):):)

I believe the cruising experience continues to improve which even includes Carnival. ;)

I too have noticed the decline in the food menu. I'm not sure if the menu was different (smaller selection) because we were on a shorter cruise or what?

Our February cruise menu on the Sunshine was superb! Our April cruise on Imagination was not as good, but still had a hearty selection. But this last July cruise on the Victory was awful....worst I've ever seen. Only 6 entree choices nightly...and of course I wanted none of them. The buffet had a wider selection than main dining room.

Here were the nightly selections:

1 salmon dish

1 chicken dish

1 Indian dish

1 beef dish (steak only 1 night)

2 rotation speciality dishes. Usually a pasta or tilapia (yuck!).

I didn't see any other fish options other than salmon or tilapia.

Edited by gone_cruisin

I see threads like this one all of the time, no matter what vacation message boards I'm on. We took a Disney vacation in February, and of course the message boards on disboards.com are flooded threads about how EVERYTHING Disney has lowered in quality over the years. People complaining the napkins no longer have Mickey's head on them, they are PLAIN (GOD FORBID!) and of course the quality of the food has gone straight downhill (this seems to be a common theme everywhere also) among literally hundreds of other common complaints.

I think some of these threads/posters have valid points, including this one. I'm sure there have been cutbacks, some not as noticable, and then some downright terrible. But it always seems that nobody ever points out what has been ADDED. Better waterslides, movie screens, guys burgers, blue iguana, serenity deck, more food choices and variety, etc.

Many of the things it seems people complain about, that have been cruising for years, I don't think are as important to younger generations of cruisers, and Carnival knows this. I personally could care less about live bands. I'm 30 and I don't have even one friend who chose a live band at their wedding compared to a DJ. Not important. Live bands just don't do it for me personally.

The food thing, I'm just not sure. I it's very possible the quality of food has declined, but I also think people are now more used to "better" quality food than they were 10/20 years ago. In America, for a quick bite to eat, we were once used to McDonalds, now we have Panera Bread, Chipotle, etc. and many choices showing us fresh, higher quality food. I think in general, people's expectations with food have gone up. So I think people could just be remembering food in a somewhat nostalgic frame of mind, instead of remembering actual quality. But again I could be wrong. We thought the food on Carnival was fine/ok/pretty good. (Better than RCI's food though). Just your typical banquet type food, some dishes a bit better. Some dishes were better than othes.

There was a little family owned Italian place near my house my family used to go back in the early 90s for dinner, and we thought they had the BEST sauce. I hadn't been there in YEARS (probably 15) and I drug my husband there for a little nostalgia about a year ago, telling him it was SO GOOD. And it wasn't. But back then I thought it was, because I wasn't quite the foodie back then that I am now ;)

The point is, If you don't like it, then choose another line, or another type vacation alltogether. I think some people are sick of Carnival, or "cruised-OUT" just like people on the Disney boards need to find another destination/change of scenery. I think a lot of people look at their previous vacations with rose colored glasses since it was a newer experience back then. The first ones are always going to be the best. But I'd much rather cruise Carnival at the price point it is today WITH the waterslides, serenity deck, blue iguana, big screen, and all of the food choices than cruise a Carnival ship ca. 1995 without all of these things, but WITH a live band, ice buckets, and receipts... and I'm sure we will continue to cruise many different lines and see what they all have to offer. We are in no way loyal to one line and never will be. variety is the spice of life!

You say it correctly about how we remember things, especially when it's newer then. I can remember my excited days of Disney World as each new attraction came along. Now, it's punishment to spend time there because there's no newness left and the cutbacks, yes cutbacks are there too! For every new attraction, something has to go!

All of this for a small piece of paper that nobody looks at. To me, it was a good decision. I actually commented on it on the guest survey email. Kudo's to Carnival for putting it in place.

I look at them just like I do with all receipts I receive. It has saved me from being overcharged for something many times.

I did notice the lack of paper receipts on my last cruise and I assumed it was due to the litter issue. The cruise lines are pretty maniacal about recycling everything, as you will know if you've ever tried to throw out a bingo card.

Can I just say what a joke the bacon mac and cheese is? Talk about meatloaf- please. The bacon M&C is mac, cheese, and a ripped off piece of old bacon lying on top with a hunk of dry chicken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did notice the lack of paper receipts on my last cruise and I assumed it was due to the litter issue. The cruise lines are pretty maniacal about recycling everything, as you will know if you've ever tried to throw out a bingo card.

Can I just say what a joke the bacon mac and cheese is? Talk about meatloaf- please. The bacon M&C is mac, cheese, and a ripped off piece of old bacon lying on top with a hunk of dry chicken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, now that you know you don't like it you don't have to ever order it again.

You have listed 2 of my son's Carnival favorites.

You have also listed 2 of the current top dishes at many trendy restaurants.

I don't get it but Carnival isn't wrong to have these options on the menu.

I'm pretty sure they are not using "a ripped off piece of old bacon""on top".:p

I'm really disappointed that I'm at work eating a salad from Subway rather than on a cruise, eating good food (that I don't have to cook or drive to pick up) and being pampered by pleasant staff :p :rolleyes:

Edited by VASOXFANN

Very astute. And probably pretty accurate. But will most likely be lost on the rose colored complainers.:(

I look at them just like I do with all receipts I receive. It has saved me from being overcharged for something many times.

If you have been overcharged many times on a cruise ship, then there are other issues at play. Technology is a wonderful thing, try it.;)

I check ours daily too. We've never been overcharged, but we have been charged for stuff we didn't purchase. Saving our receipts helped me catch it quickly.

You must not look at yours too carefully. Whoever enters them does a pretty poor job. I used to do them as they happened, but now wait till the day before the last full day for adjustments. Receipts and tips as well.

You must not look at yours too carefully. Whoever enters them does a pretty poor job. I used to do them as they happened, but now wait till the day before the last full day for adjustments. Receipts and tips as well.

I review my account on every cruise. Looking at a tiny piece of paper adds nothing to that process. PSSSSSt they scan your card, nobody enters anything anymore, When was the last time you cruised?:confused:

I review my account on every cruise. Looking at a tiny piece of paper adds nothing to that process. PSSSSSt they scan your card, nobody enters anything anymore, When was the last time you cruised?:confused:

Just curious, do they scan the actual drink you order, as well? Or do they possibly have to "enter" that?;)

Edited by ShakyBeef

Just curious, do they scan the actual drink you order, as well? Or do they possibly have to "enter" that?;)

True enough, they enter a folio number. They DO scan for purchases. Noone "enters in" tips assigned to a sign and sail account. Regardless, having a slip of paper adds nothing to the process.;)