European passenger reservation

HALrunner

We live in the US, but would like to book a European friend on an upcoming cruise we already have booked for ourselves. She will have her own cabin and therefore a new booking number. Our TA reports that HAL (seattle) will not allow her to book a European passenger.

Does anyone have any experience with booking (and paying for) a European guest from the US? Is there any way to do this remotely? Perhaps a different HAL site?

Also, are the fares (after currency conversion) comparable for EU and US passengers? I seem to recall a thread about Australian guests being charged more than US guests...

We live in the US, but would like to book a European friend on an upcoming cruise we already have booked for ourselves. She will have her own cabin and therefore a new booking number. Our TA reports that HAL (seattle) will not allow her to book a European passenger.

Does anyone have any experience with booking (and paying for) a European guest from the US? Is there any way to do this remotely? Perhaps a different HAL site?

Also, are the fares (after currency conversion) comparable for EU and US passengers? I seem to recall a thread about Australian guests being charged more than US guests...

That's true..U.S. Agents aren't permitted to make bookings for Psgrs out side of North America..I believe your Friends fare would be quite different than your fare, as many posters have complained about that.. Sometimes fares in Europe are less than in the U.S. & other times they are more..

However, if you are paying for your Friend, I would think HAL would permit you to add her to your reservation.. You should call HAL & ask them on Monday..

But if your Friend is paying for herself, then she should book it in Europe & request that the two reservations be linked..

Edited by serendipity1499

Does your friend have a Mariner Society number? If not, or if she is not too bothered about having this cruise credit to her existing account, then ... isn't she staying with you at the moment? ;)

Funnily enough, on a couple of cruises that I'm looking at at the moment, the UK fares are actually slightly lower than the US fares. However, one of the things I'm trying to work out is whether that's enough to take on the risk of a deposit that's non-refundable from the date it's paid.

Thanks for the advice! We will be footing the bill and I hadn't thought about adding her to our current booking number, I just assumed it would be an entire new reservation. This will be her first cruise and she is not interested in racking up cruise credit days like we are! On that note, I forgot that if we are paying for her on board expenses, that those might go towards our cruise credit days:)

When I log onto the HAL website when traveling in Europe, it automatically flips to the European HAL site. Is there any way to get to that site while in the US? Google was no help on this one!

When I log onto the HAL website when traveling in Europe, it automatically flips to the European HAL site. Is there any way to get to that site while in the US?
I've found that the HAL website has this behaviour: If, when in Europe, you can log on to a HAL account (not necessarily your own) that has a US address, then as soon as you log on the website immediately switches to displaying US information. The account you log into doesn't have to be that of anyone who is then travelling or who is intending to travel.

You might be able to make this work in reverse.

I use a VPN (SurfEasy) to access the UK site with no difficulty. If you aren't aware of how VPNs work, or would like to know about some of the better free ones, this is one of many helpful articles: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2390381,00.asp

HAL reads your IP address to determine where you are and, based on that location, which website to give you. With a VPN, you appear to be at an IP location other than your own and, depending upon the VPN service you are using, you will able to choose the location as being in another country. With most of the decent ones, you'll be able to select the UK, tricking HAL into presenting the UK site. You may need to clear the browser's cookies first.

While it's fine for research purposes, if I log into my account it immediately switches to Canadian dollars. As soon as I log out, the site reverts to providing prices in UK £ again.

Hello "HALrunner"

I'm a European and do live in Europe – but do book since the very begin via an American TA.

Just 10 days ago I did get confirmation from him that I still can book a HAL cruise via him.

I understood, if you did beforehand HAL booking rules changed already used an US-TA, then HAL still allow you to book via him.

This is a kind of client / TA protection in order a long time client still can pursue his well-know and satisfied TA 'relation-ship'.

Happy cruising

G E R D

Indeed, she is living with us! Even her visa application/paperwork confirms this! I thought it had more to do with passport than current residence. If it is based on current address this would solve the problem. I'll run this by my TA tomorrow. Thanks all!