help Eurodam or Niieuw Amsterdam 11-9-14

hugger

:confused:

So confused I have spent the day doing some research on both the Eurodam and the Nieuw Amsterdam.

I currently am on a 24 hr courtesy hold for the Eurodam cabin VA4132.

However, in reading reviews am fearing that she may not be in very good condition currently???

I also am finding differing information as to just what cat. cabin this is - I thought it was a cat. VA but am not sure. It appear's that there is a larger balcony just behind the lifeboat. With public area's overhead. Yet when I read some of the reviews folks talk about having other's looking down on them from above.

Has the Eurodam recently been retrofitted?

I had found some great pricing on this cabin and "thought" it to be a nice size. Any thought's . . .

Or, am I better off to go with a mid ship Navigation deck cabin VA8082 on the Nieuw Amsterdam?

It appear's that the Nieuw Amsterdam may be in much better condition. And, that for 400.00 more we might be much happier???

and, just take the smaller balcony.

would appreciate any current input and advise THANK YOU

We always book guarantees (when we're not traveling with others) in the least expensive category. We have always been upgraded to a higher category, although I know this isn't always a sure thing for everyone. Last time we went from a VF to a VA.

Several times, when we have traveled with others (and wanted cabins along side of each other) we have booked a VF. To me, I personally haven't found a difference, accept being at the far end of the ship. Once we had the steel balcony and it was fine (the balcony space was actually bigger). Once we had a "shower" only which I liked.

So for us, there isn't a justification or need to pay hundreds of dollars more for the same size cabin, albeit in a (so-called) better location, especially when there is a very good chance we will be upgraded. I rather save that cash for cruise expenses.

I know cabin location is very important for some cruisers as well as some of the aforementioned amenities. But if you have never booked a guarantee before, a 7 day Eastern Caribbean may be a nice time to give it a try. Good luck!

We almost always book a guarantee when we cruise for the lowest Cat. that we would be happy with - sometimes we get upgraded and sometimes not.

Our last cruise with HAL was on the Noordam two year's ago. We booked a Cat. SS guarantee. Hoping to get upgraded to a full suite. We booked months ahead of time. However, we didn't get any upgraded at all. Mind you we were Happy with our Cat SS. What bothered us was that the prices dropped drastically at final payment. And, they would not allow us to upgrade without paying almost a 1000.00 more. We had already paid 4000.00 for a 10 day cruise. And, the full suites were literally on sale for less than 5000.00.

However, I digress sorry - this time we decided to wait until closer to sailing date and see IF prices dropped which they did this weekend.

There is a special for OBC which we must have booked and paid for within the next 24 hrs in order to get.

We decided being we are traveling on our own this time to go with a cat. VA and save the dollars for when we have other's traveling with us. So that we might host happy hours on our larger balcony.

The only reason I did not go with a guarantee is that we are going for 14 days. And, IF we were to get a cabin assignment where we might have to much rocking and rolling my DH would NOT be happy. He tends to get sea sick. Just didn't feel we could chance that on a 14 day.

I am reading so many bad or disappointing reviews of the Eurodam.

I know that sometimes folks that have a disappointing experience tend to write more than the ones of us who have FABULOUS experiences. Thinking that may be why I am seeing so many less than stellar reviews of the Eurodam.

The Nieuw Amsterdam has the same Cat. VA for 400.00 more with a smaller balcony than I could book on the Eurodam.

Sail's the same date and same itin.

I just wondered IF anyone who had sailed the Eurodam recently had insight's for me.

:confused:

So confused I have spent the day doing some research on both the Eurodam and the Nieuw Amsterdam.

I currently am on a 24 hr courtesy hold for the Eurodam cabin VA4132.

However, in reading reviews am fearing that she may not be in very good condition currently???

I also am finding differing information as to just what cat. cabin this is - I thought it was a cat. VA but am not sure. It appear's that there is a larger balcony just behind the lifeboat. With public area's overhead. Yet when I read some of the reviews folks talk about having other's looking down on them from above.

Has the Eurodam recently been retrofitted?

I had found some great pricing on this cabin and "thought" it to be a nice size. Any thought's . . .

Or, am I better off to go with a mid ship Navigation deck cabin VA8082 on the Nieuw Amsterdam?

It appear's that the Nieuw Amsterdam may be in much better condition. And, that for 400.00 more we might be much happier???

and, just take the smaller balcony.

would appreciate any current input and advise THANK YOU

Hi Hugger,

This is a photo of 4132 (link)

The whole review (link)

I like both ships equally.

But we consider the Eurodam for next spring. I noticed that forward oserwation deck was closed frequently on the Nieuw Amsterdam - that makes big difference for us. Other than that - both are outstanding ships.

Enjoy your cruise!

THANK YOU everyone - my brain was so tired out I just couldn't decide. CruiseTrail - You have made my evening and cruise!!! We are going to stick with our VA4132 on the Eurodam. I assume that the interior of the cabin is the regular size of the other cabins that do not have the extended balcony? I can't begin to THANK YOU enough.

Have an Awesome week

Edited by hugger
a thought

We were on Eurodam two years ago and loved it. I personally would not hesitate to book Eurodam again or NA since they are sister ships although we have not been on NA yet. Either cabin location looks fine to me unless you are really picky about your location.

However, I don't understand why you are saying that both itineraries are the same, for the exact same date, one ship should be doing the Western Caribbean and one ship the Eastern Caribbean, which itinerary are you most interested in?

We have booked the Eurodam Cabin VA4132 with the extended balcony on the bump out.

I did say they are the same itin - they basically are - we are doing a 14 day. They just do it in opposite directions. This will be our first B2B - we are SO looking forward to it.

Just now in the process of turning it over to our TA hope he has some additional incen

We have booked the Eurodam Cabin VA4132 with the extended balcony on the bump out.

I did say they are the same itin - they basically are - we are doing a 14 day. They just do it in opposite directions. This will be our first B2B - we are SO looking forward to it.

Just now in the process of turning it over to our TA hope he has some additional incen

Good going! The photo(s) cruisetrail posted were great. I originally thought it was just a regular balcony, but 4132 is quite unique. And for a B2B, It will be used a lot I'm sure. I hope you get some OBC and have a great cruise. We're disembarking (N. Amsterdam) that day in FLL.

Yes, the pictures that CruiseTrail posted it what made me pull the trigger and book the Eurodam. Being it was available when the price dropped. We had planned on the Nieuw Amsterdam until I found VA4132.

You are going to have an Awesome trip too!

Are you doing a B2B? This will be our first B2 have always been envious when getting off a ship of those passenger's that got to stay for another cruise. Now that DH just retired we can do it too . . .

The longest we've done in the past is 12 days. I think I could go for a month and not be ready to get off a ship. DH isn't quite as ready to spend that long onboard though

Yes, the pictures that CruiseTrail posted it what made me pull the trigger and book the Eurodam. Being it was available when the price dropped. We had planned on the Nieuw Amsterdam until I found VA4132.

You are going to have an Awesome trip too!

Are you doing a B2B? This will be our first B2 have always been envious when getting off a ship of those passenger's that got to stay for another cruise. Now that DH just retired we can do it too . . .

The longest we've done in the past is 12 days. I think I could go for a month and not be ready to get off a ship. DH isn't quite as ready to spend that long onboard though

We are doing a 13 night TA (Nieuw Amsterdam) from Barcelona, arriving in FLL on 11/9. However we are doing our first B2B in March 2015 for 25 nights. It starts with a 10-night Panama Canal cruise and then a 15 night TA to Rome.

The longest we have ever cruised is 16 nights. Like you, we have been envious of those who have stay onboard (doing a B2B) when we're disembarking. I'm looking forward to that experience.

Congratulations to your DH for his retirement. We (DW & I) are retiring in January (can't wait) :):):)

We want to do a TA next year to see friends in Dover, England and my niece in Copenhagen maybe. She'll be there for summer session for Honor's College.

Can't wait to hear how much you ENJOY your trip!

It sounds FABULOUS