Costs of extras: RCI vs. Carnival

bugsokc

Hi all!

I have sailed on Carnival twice and have another Carnival cruise scheduled to depart in five short weeks. I am thinking about giving Royal Caribbean a try next year. I am a planner and like to review all the info available.

I'm looking for some info on costs for a Royal Caribbean cruise versus Carnival. I'm not talking about the cost of the cruise itself (that's easy to find). I'm wondering about all the extras. For instance I have noticed that RCI's all inclusive drink program (at $55 per day) is significantly more expensive than Carnivals (at $37.50).

I understand that cruisers will have different experiences on each line. I am really only concerned about costs (at this time).

Not sure if it matters or not, but we would be considering a 7-8 day cruise (nothing shorter) and there would be three of us (me, wife and 8-year-old daughter).

Can anyone (preferably those who have sailed on both cruise lines) give any insight as to the cost differences? Anything that should be considered (good or bad) when calculating the total cost of cruising.

Thanks!

You can have a very full and satisfying cruise on RCI without spending any additional money (outside of gratuities). Just don't buy into anything with an upcharge unless you really want to. Those extras are not really necessary, anyway.

We have found that no matter what cruiseline we are on, there are plenty of excellent food and thirst quenching beverages that are included, activities and entertainment are included, etc.

After the cruise is paid for rci allows you to walk onto the ship for free, where C charges you for FTTF:p

You can walk onto the ship for free on Carnival as well. FTTF is optional. And it includes much more than just allowing you to board early.

Edited by time4u2go

You can have a very full and satisfying cruise on RCI without spending any additional money (outside of gratuities). Just don't buy into anything with an upcharge unless you really want to. Those extras are not really necessary, anyway.

We have found that no matter what cruiseline we are on, there are plenty of excellent food and thirst quenching beverages that are included, activities and entertainment are included, etc.

:):)

Have sailed both often. There are many agencies that feature tips included on Royal but not Carnival.Also for any seniors the Royal insurance is priced the same but Carnival really goes up in price as age increases. Bob & Nancy The Villages Florida

Drink Packages: Yes, Carnivals are cheaper -- with two caveats. There is a limit on Carnival's drinks -- no more than 15 per day. While some people can't drink that much in a day if they tried, some people could. Carnival also requires that all people in the room have the drink package purchased if one person does, even if they won't have sip of alcohol. RCL does not have a requirement like this anymore.

Gratuities: For Royal Caribbean International guests an approximate daily total of $9.75 per guest ($12 for suite guests) per cruise day for dining and stateroom staff. Carnival is $11.50 per guest per day regardless of room category.

Photos: RCL's were $20 when I sailed in March on the Majesty. Carnival's are $22 (these are for 8x10s). RCL offers a photo package, Carnival does not.

Gratuities: For Royal Caribbean International guests an approximate daily total of $9.75 per guest ($12 for suite guests) per cruise day for dining and stateroom staff. Carnival is $11.50 per guest per day regardless of room category.

According to this http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=5212 Royal's is $12 for non-suites and and $14.25 for suites.

Drink Packages: Yes, Carnivals are cheaper -- with two caveats. There is a limit on Carnival's drinks -- no more than 15 per day. While some people can't drink that much in a day if they tried, some people could. Carnival also requires that all people in the room have the drink package purchased if one person does, even if they won't have sip of alcohol. RCL does not have a requirement like this anymore.

Photos: RCL's were $20 when I sailed in March on the Majesty. Carnival's are $22 (these are for 8x10s). RCL offers a photo package, Carnival does not.

8x10 photos $22.99 on Adventure last week

After the cruise is paid for rci allows you to walk onto the ship for free, where C charges you for FTTF:p

You need to look up your facts on FTTF. Faster to the Fun is just a chance to get on the ship earlier, for a price. While IMHO, not worth the price, Royal doesn't even offer it. Once you pay for your cruise fare, Carnival DOES NOT charge extra to walk onto the ship.

Here is what I wrote when I got back from my cruise on the RCL Freedom of the Seas this past February. We had just tried RCL for the first time after several Carnival cruises.

"Cost: Everything seemed a little more on RCCL. From the price of the cruise, to the price of drinks, to the daily tipping amount. There also seemed to be more things in general that weren’t included on RCCL. For example Johnny Rockets charges $5 a person whereas Guys Burgers doesn’t charge any fee. Room service has a charge at certain hours, Carnival does not. Fresh squeezed juice there was a charge on RCCL but you could get it at least in some places on Carnival included. "

Sorry it's not very specific but some areas of cost to consider at least.

Have 11 cruises on Carnival and just returned from a RCCL cruise on the Freedom of the Seas.

Regarding your question about cost of drink packages.

$55 a day on Royal vs. $37.95 a day on Carnival.

The Royal package of $55 a day includes unlimited self serve soda pop (Coke products), bottled water, Starbucks coffee (on the FOS), and of course your alcohol.

For my wife and I,,, basically the same price at the end of the day. Just more convenient to just pay one price before cruise begins rather than a 5 page bill at end of cruise.

Here is what I wrote when I got back from my cruise on the RCL Freedom of the Seas this past February. We had just tried RCL for the first time after several Carnival cruises.

"Cost: Everything seemed a little more on RCCL. From the price of the cruise, to the price of drinks, to the daily tipping amount. There also seemed to be more things in general that weren’t included on RCCL. For example Johnny Rockets charges $5 a person whereas Guys Burgers doesn’t charge any fee. Room service has a charge at certain hours, Carnival does not. Fresh squeezed juice there was a charge on RCCL but you could get it at least in some places on Carnival included. "

After 11 cruises on Carnival, I still need to find a place on the ship, where I can get fresh oj for free! As a matter of fact, I haven't even seen the possibility to buy fresh oj.

You need to look up your facts on FTTF. Faster to the Fun is just a chance to get on the ship earlier, for a price. While IMHO, not worth the price, Royal doesn't even offer it. Once you pay for your cruise fare, Carnival DOES NOT charge extra to walk onto the ship.

SetSail was just joking, hence the emoticon with the tongue. Chill.

:confused: Johnny's and Guy's aren't really comparable things though. I mean they both serve burgers but at JR it is seated meal. At Guy's it's a serve-yourself line. Also, JR has a full-menu (chicken and such), Guy's is only burgers.

Edited by rednose83

SetSail was just joking, hence the emoticon with the tongue. Chill.

That icon would more often be used to imply dissatisfaction with the topic being discussed. I don't think there is an icon that would imply that what the writer is saying is just plain not true.

That icon would more often be used to imply dissatisfaction with the topic being discussed. I don't think there is an icon that would imply that what the writer is saying is just plain not true.

Get real.....they were being SARCASTIC!!!! Geez Louise.....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Royal give you free room service with only a surcharge midnight to five am

Royal have coffee machines and tea plus ice cream machines for free

Plus they have other buffet food open most of the day

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Carnival has these also.

Have 11 cruises on Carnival and just returned from a RCCL cruise on the Freedom of the Seas.

Regarding your question about cost of drink packages.

$55 a day on Royal vs. $37.95 a day on Carnival.

The Royal package of $55 a day includes unlimited self serve soda pop (Coke products), bottled water, Starbucks coffee (on the FOS), and of course your alcohol.

For my wife and I,,, basically the same price at the end of the day. Just more convenient to just pay one price before cruise begins rather than a 5 page bill at end of cruise.

It is how we like to go. Pay up front. then no hassles.

Thanks for all the replies... there is definitely some good information here. I really appreciate the CC members and the information that can be obtained here - Great service.

So it appears to me that RCI is a little more expensive that Carnival on most (or maybe all) things, but not significantly so. Some things (like the drink program) you get more on RCI. The question I need to ask myself here is: Is it worth it? (I don't think the drink program is worth it for me because I would not exceed the 15 drinks per day on Carnival and both my wife and I - the only two adults in the cabin - would partake any way).

At any rate, I think a RCI cruise is in my future! I really just want to try something different and I don't think the cost difference is enough to keep me away!

Again - thanks for all the responses! :D

I'll give my two cents. I haven't sailed Carnival. I have sailed RCCL. It is entirely possible to sail RCCL without spending any extra money for upcharges. We sailed Oasis last year and never paid for food that wasn't included in our cruise fare. The "free" (included with fare) food options are plentiful, and well-placed, meaning you don't have to go to some obscure location to find what you want "for free".

There is plenty of entertainment free of charge as well. Movies, games, shows, etc. If on Oasis-class with young children and if trying to avoid extra spending, the Boardwalk neighborhood may cause a problem. It's a midway, complete with all sorts of trinkets for sale.

Drinks on RCCL are very reasonable - similar to or cheaper than most bars and restaurants on land.

So the bottom line, you can certainly have a wonderful cruise on RCCL without spending extra money.

Happy Cruising!

??

FTTF gets you priority boarding, expedited luggage delivery and your stateroom ready upon boarding. It is an optional charge.

RCCL does not provide this for free nor as a paid option.. unless your loyalty status dictates similar perks.

If you choose not to purchase the optional FTTF then its free to walk on the ship just like on every other cruise line!