Introvert ≠ Shy and why NCL works for me.

cruisecritiquer

Hi all.

OP thanks for starting this thread, it's very interesting!

I took the test & found out I'm an ISFJ & so is DD#2. DH & DD#1 are rare types.;) I'm going to have to look into this more thoroughly.

I have done 1/2 of my 30 cruises solo & actually prefer doing so. It's been pretty easy on the NCL ships with studio cabins but next time it'll be on Dawn so it'll be interesting to see how that turns out. On other lines I ask for a large table 1st seating & have only been disappointed a couple of times.

Thanks again.

~ Jo ~ :)

I am an ISTJ.

cruisecritiquer, I have generally liked your posts on this forum and generally agree with things you write. Once again, I agree with you.

I like NCL for its freestyle cruising, too. That was one thing I hated about cruising in the '90s, as I was on a rigid dining schedule, told how to dress, etc. That didn't feel like vacation to me.

When I vacation, it's not for the social aspect. Like you, I don't enjoy hanging out with strangers while on vacation. (My one exception is karaoke, where the audience is the most important part.)

I like eating when we want, and eating at a table with only our family. Similarly, I like private excursions where we are not traveling with a group. (It's also a lot cheaper.)

I also didn't like having roommates when I was single. At a young age, I realized I wanted to live alone.

Been there. Those meetings where you're with people all day, then go to dinner that takes hours... and then they want to go out for drinks and MORE socialization!

What I do is I beg off after dinner. I claim exhaustion, or catching up on emails, or being a non-drinker, or ANYTHING just to get out of the torture that would be hanging out with them all those additional hours. It's a bit sad because you can see in their eyes "but you're missing all the fun!"

I've sometimes had a quiet conversation with an extrovert about this, and they are capable of understanding. For my friends I can now just say "I'm over-socialized" and they will understand.

I just finished a week long convention in Charleston in July. The day began at 8:30 and ended at 6:00 p.m. with about 4000 people in attendance. I had to sit in my car for 30 minutes before I could convince myself to go into the hotel. :eek: lol

I am an ISTJ.

cruisecritiquer, I have generally liked your posts on this forum and generally agree with things you write. Once again, I agree with you.

I like NCL for its freestyle cruising, too. That was one thing I hated about cruising in the '90s, as I was on a rigid dining schedule, told how to dress, etc. That didn't feel like vacation to me.

When I vacation, it's not for the social aspect. Like you, I don't enjoy hanging out with strangers while on vacation. (My one exception is karaoke, where the audience is the most important part.)

I like eating when we want, and eating at a table with only our family. Similarly, I like private excursions where we are not traveling with a group. (It's also a lot cheaper.)

I also didn't like having roommates when I was single. At a young age, I realized I wanted to live alone.

Same here. When I go on vacation it's to spend time with family (and this time friends because I'm bringing one of my best friends and her family along). I don't mind meeting new people but I don't want to be forced to do it. I had a roommate in college and because it was just one other person, I could manage okay. I do well in intimate settings with a few close friends. Large crowds I avoid like the plague...sans the occasional NFL game or concert.