Bosphorus Dinner Cruise in Istanbul

I know this has been discussed before but I would like to know if anyone has recommendations for a company who does a good dinner cruise on the Bosphorus. I will be in Istanbul with friends the last 10 days of October and we are thinking of taking the cruise but NOT if it is a rip off or too touristy. Thought it would be a good way to relax and see the sights at night.

Or does anyone have a suggestion of an alternative plan for the evening? Very open to suggestions. Is there a restaurant in the Galata Tower or someplace else with a good view of the Bosphorus.

I have participated on the Istanbul forum of sister website tripadvisor for several years and most would recommend you separately cruise the Bosphorus during the daytime to enjoy what you can see on both the European and Asian sides and eat separately at many of the fine restaurants with views onshore.

We enjoyed our rooftop dinner at Imbat on the top of the Orient Express Hotel in Sirkeci in mid-May. Book ahead online.

Is there a restaurant in the Galata Tower or someplace else with a good view of the Bosphorus.

The Galata Tower is not the place to go for a view of the Bosphorus. I've pasted below a suggestion I made on another thread that would seem to be waht you're looking for (I haven't edited it so some of it references the other poster's specifics). I would not recommend a dinner cruise but that's just my opinion.

I live in Istanbul and I have a couple of suggestions that will show you something tourists would not ordinarily see.

A favourite restaurant of ours is called Banyan (it's Asian fusion not Turkish food - email ahead for a reservation). It is on top of a building in an area called Ortakoy right on the Bosphorus and regardless of the season provides amazing views of the famous Ortakoy Mosque in one direction with the bridge and it's dancing colours at night in the background (a total external refurbishment of the Mosque has just been completed and it is immediately adjacent to the restaurant). In the other direction you look to the mouth of the Bosphorus with the Maiden's Tower near the Asian side and at Old Constantinople, Topkapi Palace, Hagia Sophia and the Blue Mosque in the distance. When it gets dark they send up Chinese Lanterns from the edge of the water on the walkway between the restaurant and Mosque. The food is great (although a bit on the expensive side) and the view and atmosphere is unrivaled.

When you're done head to Bebek - further along the Bosphorus and walk north as far as you want taking in the lights across the Bosphorus on the Asian side and experience the local flavour... it's about 20 minutes of walking to the Rumeli Hisari fortress.

If there are six of you, you'll need two taxis (about 20 TL per taxi) from the ship to the restaurant and another ~12 TL per taxi from the restaurant to Bebek (tell the driver Bebek Starbucks as a reference point). On the first cab ride you'll drive past the Besiktas football club's stadium (undergoing a total rebuild right now) and the Dolambahce Palace.

To orient you, the Bosphorus essentially runs north-south. When you face the entrance of Starbucks, left will be North - that's the direction I suggest you walk. It's safe and depending how far you walk there are lots of little cafes and restaurant to grab a Turkish tea (cay - pronounced chI) and even a brew pub called TAPS I think if you want a beer. You'll see lots of locals strolling along here and you'll be able to hop a cab back to the ship any time you want as there are always numerous available on the "coast road".

Questions? Ask away.

happy cruising all,

csm