Live from Viking's Portraits of Southern France on the Hermod

ninaks

We are 3 days into our voyage and having an amazing time. I will write a full review when we return but after all the horrible reviews I have read about Viking just wanted to get the word out that we are having a fabulous cruise. We are currently docked in Lyon. The crew have all been wonderful. They go out of their way to make sure you are having a good time. The food has been very good. Dinner does take a couple of hours, but I consider that part of the fun of the ship. Everyone we have met has been very nice. We have a french balcony room. They are definitely smaller than on the older ships but since you spend so little time in the room that doesn't bother me. Our excursions so far have been very good. We have not been impacted by high water or lock issues. Weather has been in the high 70's with some clouds. Only rain has been at night. Let me know if you have any specific questions. More to come later.

We did a few days pre cruise in Paris and then did Viking transfers to the ship in Chalon. It is a new thing that you can do the viking transfers from the hotel to the ship even if you didn't do the pre-cruise with Viking. It was worth it to us, not having to drag our luggage on trains because you have to change trains on Sunday, there is no non-stop to Chalon from Paris on Sunday.

So glad you are writing this review. We are taking this cruise in November on the Buri. We enjoyed our trip to Eastern Europe with Viking and we are anticipating a great cruise this time, too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Could you tell us how long the ride was from your Paris Hotel to the ship in Chalon. We will be doing Paris after our cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

According to Mapquest it is about 4 and a half hours. We were with Vantage and stopped at a restaurant near Chateau Fontanbleu for lunch.

memaw123 ~ We did this cruise in 2012 as our 1st RC and, after many big ??? about RCing, I just feel in love with it!!! We had 2 friends who did pre-Paris with Viking and so they took the bus down. I don't know how long it took but they had a guide, enjoyed the bus ride and stopped for lunch, don't remember where. I'm not sure what they do on a post-cruise transfer.

One point about Viking - they DO listen to passengers! I'm not taking any personal credit for their change in policy to allow passengers not booking Pre-Paris with them to buy bus transfers to the ship, but I was one passenger - I'm sure among many! - who complained that we couldn't pay to ride with them! That was 2 years ago and not there's a new policy!! THANK YOU Viking for listening to our requests!!!

And a point to all of us - fill out those end-of-trip evaluation forms!! Put in your suggestions, comments and praise for specific crew members!! They are read!!! And after your trip report back on CC - Viking, like all lines, follows the boards and, as seen, they do make changes in their policies!!! Plus your comments do help others on CC!!! (OK - off my soap box for the day!)

Memaw, we did this same cruise in April, but from Avignon to Lyon. It was wonderful! Lots of walking, some uphill, so be sure to pack sturdy shoes. The excursions were good, particularly at Avignon, Beaune and Lyon. We also did a couple of optional, but it seems the optional tours vary depending on whether you are traveling N to S or vice/versa.

My only complaint? The cruise was over much too soon! :p

Becki

Becki thank you for you review . My husband and I sail in Nov.1.we will be doing the trip in the same order as you. We have also booked the Paris extension Getting excited!

Memaw, here is a link to my live report from the Hermod. It is quite lengthy, as I tried to give a lot of detail, and of course, people asked questions and posted responses. But, hopefully, you can glean some info that will be helpful prior to your cruise. Have a wonderful time! It was my favorite of our 3 Viking cruises so far.

Becki

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2017837

• 7 months later...
We did a few days pre cruise in Paris and then did Viking transfers to the ship in Chalon. It is a new thing that you can do the viking transfers from the hotel to the ship even if you didn't do the pre-cruise with Viking. It was worth it to us, not having to drag our luggage on trains because you have to change trains on Sunday, there is no non-stop to Chalon from Paris on Sunday.

Viking is saying this is absolutely not possible. how did you manage?

Edited by mwoodrowe1
mispelling

memaw123 ~ We did this cruise in 2012 as our 1st RC and, after many big ??? about RCing, I just feel in love with it!!! We had 2 friends who did pre-Paris with Viking and so they took the bus down. I don't know how long it took but they had a guide, enjoyed the bus ride and stopped for lunch, don't remember where. I'm not sure what they do on a post-cruise transfer.

One point about Viking - they DO listen to passengers! I'm not taking any personal credit for their change in policy to allow passengers not booking Pre-Paris with them to buy bus transfers to the ship, but I was one passenger - I'm sure among many! - who complained that we couldn't pay to ride with them! That was 2 years ago and not there's a new policy!! THANK YOU Viking for listening to our requests!!!

Viking is saying this is not possible now which is very disappointing

According to their website, as long as you have purchased your cruise from them, you may also purchase your transfers:

http://www.vikingrivercruises.com/my-trip/travel-information/transfer-request-form.html

this is just for airport transfers. we are going into paris a few days ahead. we wanted to purchase a transfer from them to the ship. i would be more than happy to meet at whatever hotel they are using for their pre-cruise package BUT i was told it was not possible. not sure how other people got it done...maybe someone can tell me?

According to their website, as long as you have purchased your cruise from them, you may also purchase your transfers:

http://www.vikingrivercruises.com/my-trip/travel-information/transfer-request-form.html

As of 10 June 2015...Viking will not let you use their transfers unless you buy their air, even if you are willing to pay extra. And just because it is on their website does not mean they follow that. For example, copied from their web page....

DAY 1 | PARIS, FRANCE

Arrive in Paris, romance capital of the world. Transfer from the Charles de Gaulle airport in Paris to your ship.* After boarding, take free time to explore Paris, or join our “welcome walk” to stretch your legs and get oriented. (D)

Makes it sound like you are right in Paris....WRONG..the boat is 45 minutes away in a town called Le Pecq.

Buyer beware when booking Viking.

In Vikings defense your statement is only true for one of their Paris based boats.... The other 3 do dock at a port walking distance to the Eiffel Tower.

http://www.vikingrivercruises.com/my-trip/about-my-ship/docking-locations-ports.html

The Viking Rinda has not been docking in Downtown, but in the distant outskirts of Paris.

As of 10 June 2015...Viking will not let you use their transfers unless you buy their air, even if you are willing to pay extra. And just because it is on their website does not mean they follow that. For example, copied from their web page....

DAY 1 | PARIS, FRANCE

Arrive in Paris, romance capital of the world. Transfer from the Charles de Gaulle airport in Paris to your ship.* After boarding, take free time to explore Paris, or join our “welcome walk” to stretch your legs and get oriented. (D)

Makes it sound like you are right in Paris....WRONG..the boat is 45 minutes away in a town called Le Pecq.

Buyer beware when booking Viking.

I understand why you are angry, I would have been too had I not known about this distant docking location.

In Vikings defense your statement is only true for one of their Paris based boats.... The other 3 do dock at a port walking distance to the Eiffel Tower.

http://www.vikingrivercruises.com/my-trip/about-my-ship/docking-locations-ports.html

The Viking Rinda has not been docking in Downtown, but in the distant outskirts of Paris.

It should be noted in the daily itinerary of the difference. Why would someone shopping for a cruise, look under the "My Trip" tab when they have not even booked. You should not need to go to a whole different tab-page to find the information, when you are just shopping for a cruise. Most people probably do not find out about this "other" port until they have paid the nonrefundable money.