Pizza on Getaway

koss78b2

They don't really have a "pizza place" per se. But there is pizza available in the buffet at lunch and dinner times.

The good news is that unlike on a Carnival ship, you never have to wait for them to make a pizza or for one to come out of the oven. They always have several pizzas sliced up and under heat lamps... waiting for you to grab a slice or two and go.

The bad news is that, the pizza is just HORRIBLE. I'm a pizza lover... I eat pizza out twice a week on average. The pizza on the Norwegian Getaway was just so bad that I couldn't bring myself to eat it other than the very first slice I tried on the first day. I've had frozen pizza from the grocery store that were better. Really.

I totally LOVED my cruise on the Norwegian Getaway... but the pizza was not one of the reasons why!

Actually, I thought the pizza off the buffet was not bad at all. I ate it numerous times. In the past, I thought cruise ship pizza was not much different than grocery store frozen pizzas. However, I thought the Getaway pizza had a fresh taste. I don't think you'll ever find buffet offered cruise ship pizza to be "great" though.

First let me explain that my son and I love damn near all pizza. We have rarely encountered a pizza in our lives that wasn't the greatest thing ever created. However, we tried the delivery pizza on Getaway and neither of us could eat it! Never in my (info purposely ommitted) years of life have I ever tasted such horror. I can't even explain what it was. And I made no comments or body language to allow my son to make his own decision, and he nearly spit out his first bite.

The good news is that yes, it is $5 charge, but unlike other room service, they deliver anywhere on the ship. You can have it delivered to the Grammy Experience while grooving in your chair. You can have it sent to the pool deck so you don't have to give up your precious lounge chair. You can have it delivered to the Atrium while you watch newlyweds battle it out. This, in my opinion, makes it worth the $5. Hopefully others will have better reports on the taste.

Regarding pizza on the buffet: the seafood pizza on seafood night was divine. Yum!

Edited by LrgPizza

I'm shocked by all these bad reviews of the pizza.

Don't they still make all the breads and pastries from scratch onboard? I usually gain at least a pound from eating bread and delicious rolls with dinner every night.

So wouldn't they be making their own pizza dough? Is that what's bad? Or is it sauce? The cheese? The toppings?

Just trying to wrap my head around how they can screw up pizza. :confused:

I'm shocked by all these bad reviews of the pizza.

Don't they still make all the breads and pastries from scratch onboard? I usually gain at least a pound from eating bread and delicious rolls with dinner every night.

So wouldn't they be making their own pizza dough? Is that what's bad? Or is it sauce? The cheese? The toppings?

Just trying to wrap my head around how they can screw up pizza. :confused:

The veggie pizza was ok. I just couldn't take the taste of the plain or the pepperoni. It's worse than papa john's or dominos, and I don't consider those pizza at all!

OK, now I must definitely try this dreadful pizza, but I'm not paying $5. I'll get it at the buffet and take a slice back to my cabin in case it compels me to offer prayers to the great porcelain god! :eek:

My son who hated the delivery pizza ate the buffet pizza nearly every day and loved it. He only eats pepperoni. You'd think it was the same, but something was clearly WAY different, at least with the one sent to us.

Edited by LrgPizza

My son who hated the delivery pizza ate the buffet pizza nearly every day and loved it. He only eats pepperoni. You'd think it was the same, but something was clearly WAY different, at least with the one sent to us.

Hmmm... So maybe they are making the buffet pizza fresh and using frozen for delivery? Now which frozen pizza can we recommend for that? Personally, I like DiGiorno (did I spell that right?)

Hmmm... So maybe they are making the buffet pizza fresh and using frozen for delivery? Now which frozen pizza can we recommend for that? Personally, I like DiGiorno (did I spell that right?)

No, the delivery pizzas are made to order. There are reports here in past threads that people have been able to order pizzas with other topping on one side and other on the another.

Also, what comes to the pizza situation onboard - I don't like the thin buffet pizza (that you do need to wait sometimes on peak hours just like special burgers like pinapple teriyaki etc - contrary of what has been said here) because probably either the cheese or sauce used has something that gives it (IMO) a bit of funky taste but the delivery pizza (again, to me personally) is quite decent. Not the best pizza in the world but something I will happily pay the $5 fee for and definitely not unedible.

These are personal opinions like all the food onboard, for a new NCL customer I'd say to try both with an open mind and make your own decision based on your own preferences.

Definitely a question with no correct answer, with it all depending on the subjective opinions of each person pizza likes. I actually like Papa Johns and Dominos pizza and as I previously said, liked the Getaway pizza.

If I order pizza at home, it's usually Papa John's, and I think it's good, so I must qualify as not a picky pizza person (trying saying that 5 times fast!).

I will definitely try it at least once on Getaway. From all I'm reading, there seem to be so many food options all over the ship, I won't be able to hit all of them even once. :D

Definitely a question with no correct answer, with it all depending on the subjective opinions of each person pizza likes. I actually like Papa Johns and Dominos pizza and as I previously said, liked the Getaway pizza.

My daughter likes Dominos, too. I always joke and tell her there's no way she's Italian LOL

On the NCL cruises I have been on.... The delivery pizza is far better than the Buffet pizza. The delivery pizza is actually good. But I have never been on the Getaway.

I lived in Chicago for 8 years and my pizza of choice was Little Caesars. I did feel bad about that though.

On the NCL cruises I have been on.... The delivery pizza is far better than the Buffet pizza. The delivery pizza is actually good. But I have never been on the Getaway.

Whereas we felt the opposite. I've given up on the delivery pizza and prefer the buffet pizza by far.