Booking after final payment

Interesting thread, under Celebrity, re Booking after final payment.

"Last fall's 15 night T/A on Reflection for $449pp was booked only 10 days before sailing, and I STILL got dirt cheap tickets to Rome through Choice Air. (I ALMOST felt guilty about the $250 OBC) :D

Next week's 23 night Century to Australia for $799pp with a return flight from Sydney (also through Choice Air) for only $619pp was yet ANOTHER steal! ($250 OBC on this one, too) :eek:

I have absolutely NO intention of ever booking early. :cool:

BUT you must have the flexibility to take advantage of these incredible opportunities in the last two months before sail away. :o"

I agree that some of the last minute sales are awesome, but it is quite often the add-on segments that then get you. Little choice of cabin, shorex's already booked and little time to organise private tours, airfares can be exorbitant, hotels booked, etc. If these things do not apply, then I say go for it.:D

I agree that some of the last minute sales are awesome, but it is quite often the add-on segments that then get you. Little choice of cabin, shorex's already booked and little time to organise private tours, airfares can be exorbitant, hotels booked, etc. If these things do not apply, then I say go for it.:D

When I travel overseas I book my flights in advance at a good price around cruises I'm interested in. I usually have plan options A, B or C, with land travel an extra. I've yet to be disappointed, whether when I was working or not. Guess I'm just a traveller at heart!

The internet has changed everything, with last minute specials at hotels, etc., as well as cruises.

When I travel overseas I book my flights in advance at a good price around cruises I'm interested in. I usually have plan options A, B or C, with land travel an extra. I've yet to be disappointed, whether when I was working or not. Guess I'm just a traveller at heart!

The internet has changed everything, with last minute specials at hotels, etc., as well as cruises.

I always have several options in case something falls through, i.e. the cruise or tour gets cancelled. It is wise to have contingency plans.:D

My perception of last minute is that the popular times of year skyrocket, and the shoulder/offseason times can be a steal.

So it comes down to your ability to take time off work, or are you retired? Do you want to sail with family or friends that can't get time off at short notice? Do you mind getting allocated a room that might not be quite the first preference, like right at the back or front, or one of those noise issue rooms that you really can't complain about as you got such a good deal?

The cheapest option of all is to stay home, from there you add on the cost of what you feel is value for money. Cheap cruises on off/shoulder season may or may not be good value for money. A bit like the inside cabin and balcony continuing debate.

We have had some very good prices at sales early in the piece. We are booked on the Feb 2015 Rhapsody cruise to South Aust cities. This is not a common itinerary (compared to South Pacific which has many cruise options), and we got our Junior Suite for the price you can now get an inside for. Will the price drop after final payment time. We shall see, but for that time of year, I have not seen prices dropping a lot, and that is the time we are able to schedule.

The posts about bargains can make you feel like a dummy for booking so far ahead, but you need to know your prices, and there are many people that have booked early that have big grins on their faces as they sit in the cabin they really wanted at a very nice price. :)

My perception of last minute is that the popular times of year skyrocket, and the shoulder/offseason times can be a steal.

So it comes down to your ability to take time off work, or are you retired? Do you want to sail with family or friends that can't get time off at short notice? Do you mind getting allocated a room that might not be quite the first preference, like right at the back or front, or one of those noise issue rooms that you really can't complain about as you got such a good deal?

There are many people that have booked early that have big grins on their faces as they sit in the cabin they really wanted at a very nice price. :)

Agreed. I take your point.

I agree that doing what I do is not for everyone.

I just like to share what is available overseas for people to make their own decisions.

I am now retired, but traveled every year of my working life with a family of four.

When you book late you still get the cabin of your choice (often reallocated from TAs' unsold inventories). Only with guarantee bookings do you have no choice of cabin.

The cheapest option of all is to stay home, from there you add on the cost of what you feel is value for money. Cheap cruises on off/shoulder season may or may not be good value for money. A bit like the inside cabin and balcony continuing debate.

We have had some very good prices at sales early in the piece. We are booked on the Feb 2015 Rhapsody cruise to South Aust cities. This is not a common itinerary (compared to South Pacific which has many cruise options), and we got our Junior Suite for the price you can now get an inside for. Will the price drop after final payment time. We shall see, but for that time of year, I have not seen prices dropping a lot, and that is the time we are able to schedule.

The posts about bargains can make you feel like a dummy for booking so far ahead, but you need to know your prices, and there are many people that have booked early that have big grins on their faces as they sit in the cabin they really wanted at a very nice price. :)

I have only had two cruises become cheaper than what we booked them for (as an early bird), on both of these we have asked for a upgrade due to the price drop and were able to without losing perks. In several other cases, we have received upgrades by jumping a cabin class and paying a little bit more.

It really depends on the cruise itinerary, the cabin class originally booked and also the time of the season.:D

Interesting discussion. I think if you know the costs you want to pay, then regardless of the time you book, if the price fits go for it!

:) we have booked a 2015 cruise for just a tad over $150 p. day for a Balcony. We picked a few grades up to get what we want. Happy and not expecting the price to drop much more, but have plenty of time to monitor it for changes.

Our Christmas Cruise was booked after final payment, but at the peak time with no flights needed. We paid just a tad under $190 p.day for a balcony, but again a higher grade in a fantastic location. Loved the entire experience & worth every cent. Other couples paid an additional $500 pp for that cruise on a balcony lower down that was covered in spray. They were happy with their price we were (discretely of cause ;)) "happy as" with ours. They had booked much further out & paid more for a lower grade cabin.

Our Christmas Cruise was booked after final payment, but at the peak time with no flights needed. We paid just a tad under $190 p.day for a balcony, but again a higher grade in a fantastic location. Loved the entire experience & worth every cent. Other couples paid an additional $500 pp for that cruise on a balcony lower down that was covered in spray. They were happy with their price we were (discretely of cause ;)) "happy as" with ours. They had booked much further out & paid more for a lower grade cabin.

I learnt originally by accident. Was too busy with other overseas travels so didn't get around to booking an inside cabin on a planned NZ cruise. Airfares were booked. When I arrived home, well after final payment, I was surprised to see a suite cost less than the original inside cabin cost. You can well imagine our delight, as we hadn't even cruised with a balcony cabin prior to this cruise. I was hooked!

I learnt originally by accident. Was too busy with other overseas travels so didn't get around to booking an inside cabin on a planned NZ cruise. Airfares were booked. When I arrived home, well after final payment, I was surprised to see a suite cost less than the original inside cabin cost. You can well imagine our delight, as we hadn't even cruised with a balcony cabin prior to this cruise. I was hooked!

Glad it worked out for you and the accident turned into a win fall.:D